cimddwc

[MOC] Cobalt House

Hi everyone,

another house of mine - with two facades since it's visible from both sides, front to a street and back an inside corner at a square.

Why "cobalt"? Listing all the contents - accessories store, occult bookstore, clinic (and apartment) - would have been a bit too long, so I played around with the initials A, OB, C, and the dark blue color fits the title, too.

48574552667_007754b03e_c.jpg

48574552977_a6d5d15329_c.jpg

48574404056_5e13180343_c.jpg

Ground floor on the back contains C. Burke Jr's Occult Books and Artefacts - very narrow, so shown here without walls:

48574401796_b4e620144d_c.jpg

Featuring bookshelves and people from 76060 Sanctum Sanctorum - and a lot of other stuff.

Accessories store is basically Friends set 41344:

48574552337_c23fb0645e_c.jpg

And the strange clinic is Hoth's Medical Chamber 75203:

48574401671_1570693eeb_c.jpg

The family is shocked because of these visitors that nobody expects...

48574401451_97e7cb2076_c.jpg

I mean, who would really expect some kind of Spanish Praetorian Inquisition?

48574401316_6f88838cd5_c.jpg

Here it is shown in context in my city layout:

48574401076_dc5142130f_c.jpg

48574553762_bfde0db06f_c.jpg

» More photos in the Flickr album

Hope you like it...

Great build, I dare say 'as usual'? :classic:

Two different but equally nice facades - the 'back' one is my favorite though. Daring use of [whatever] azure (or is it turquoise? It's kinda hard to tell), but it works for me.
Nice details both inside & out - I always like how you are able to come up with new stories to tie parts from official sets one wouldn't necessarily connect with City into your buildings.

On a sidenote: I'm spying an Assembly Square mod on some of the flickr pics - did you ever share that?

Thanks! It's some azure, yes.

That Assembly Square mod was an early idea but it's not final, I want to change some stuff - add a passage to the back, make it taller to match the LEGO store, and some other adjustments.

Looks great! My favourite is also the back - the medium azure really pops.

I was having a pretty blah Monday until I opened Eurobricks and saw that you had shared a new build ? Fantastic & inspirational build as always.  I love how much detail you’ve packed into even the smallest spaces!

Also, medium azure is a color that I can never find a good use for but it looks great here used as an accent color. 

On 8/19/2019 at 7:33 AM, cimddwc said:

Hi everyone,

...I mean, who would really expect some kind of Spanish Praetorian Inquisition?

Nobody expects the Spanish Praetorian Inquisition!

Edited by gotoAndLego

Nicely done! I like the idea to use the medical chamber in a city context. That gives it a nice scifi-twist. The exterior is very well done too - and since I haven't seen pictures of your city before, you get some extra applause for that. Excellent ideas there. Probably too many to point out! :classic:

Another top notch work! :wub:

I love the main wall (is it made with a large use of dark blue plates 1x2?)

The back wall is nice too ... it looks sleek and neat but the building technique is really complex! :thumbup:

Thanks again!

6 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I love the main wall (is it made with a large use of dark blue plates 1x2?) 

Yes, thanks to a Pick-a-Brick wall. :)

The two in the middle are connected by this: image.png.64a65c3284a5b22087c392447945f0db.pngThe two on the sides are just snotted to the side walls.

Nicely done. Another interesting and unique build by you.

I do prefer the azure building also, but also because of the shaping. The color pops, which works in this context, but I like the architecture of the building also.

I didn't notice the 1x2 plates until it was pointed out. That is clever and really stands out as a different texture to a building. Otherwise a dark blue wall might look boring, but it works here.

I will say, you and another person I saw on flickr those many moons ago were the people who inspired me to build Modular style buildings. I need to post more of mine on here. My main computer is a kindle tablet, so I can't do much with it. I need a PC/Mac or something to really get things posted. Either way, they aren't as happening as your builds, that's for sure.

Great MOC, with some good technical work and funny scenes inside. A wonderful addition to your great city layout, well done! :thumbup: