WPE

Volkswagen Porsche 914 - 50th Anniversary

Recommended Posts

Quite some time ago I entered my Porsche 914 on this forum, on which I got much appreciated comments. It took a lot of time to implement proposed changes and netxt, getting hands on the bricks needed. It's done however, just in time to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the model, first appearing in 1969.

I took the liberty to built one of the Limited Edition variants of 1974, the so called Creamsicle.

1222950779_Eurobricks4.gif.32f4af1da8aa48299aeb7c280b2837e1.gif

Overall proportions are improved, this model can be converted into all variants that have been made of the 914, including the 914-GT, 914-8 and the 916. Like the first model this one has:

  • Porsche suspension in the front, cheating the torsion springs by real springs hidden under the chassis,
  • Working Ackermann steering,
  • Working headlights, single but also dual headlights as once used on one of the two 914-8's fit,
  • A working gearbox, but with only 2 gear ratios
  • Fully adjustable seats but I've built an eualy interior as well in which the passengers seat is fixed while the drivers' seat is reclining,
  • An engine bay, accessible through the glove box, with a flat 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine, battery and a blower used to help getting the cabin heated,
  • And next to the engine lid, the doors, and both trunk lids can be opened.

Somehow I can't insert more photos but there's more on my Flickr account Porsche 914 Creamsicle. Looking forward for your comments and/or replies, hope you enjoy this model

Kind regards,

Wilbert

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO it looks really good (despite I never like it). I see that you have an option of flat 4 and flat 6 engine, but I did not know that there was flat 8 (or how in Porsche it is called boxer since crankshaft is "pushing" pistons...)

About gearbox you can use gearbox from 8448 set...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks amazing. I’ve had a few attempts at making one of these but always stopped when I tried to do accurate suspension.

are you planning on offering instructions? And do you know if other colour schemes are possible 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few things I like about this model, and also a few things that bother me.

+ First of all, pop up headlights! Hell yeah! And they look pretty good, I know how difficult pop up headlights are from my own experience :grin:

+ The entire front and rear section is really smooth, looks really nice!

+ Nice modurlarity with the Engine options

- The way you used those liftarms on the sides with all the pins showing really messes up the otherwise smooth look of the model.

- This weird wheel arch technique really looks off, imo at least.

 

Its a nice Model, but there is still some room for improvements :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just done some reading on the creamsicle as I’d never heard of it before. It was a special limited edition in the US along with one called bumblebee. But this has thrown up an issue with your model that the colour is wrong. The white instead of cream works but the other colour isn’t orange it’s red.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WPE said:

Somehow I can't insert more photos but there's more on my Flickr account

No one reads instructions ... You can embed pictures from Flick here (or other picture hosting services, f.i. special one - bricksafe.com), eurobricks is not providing image hosting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colours used on Creamsicle cars are called Light Ivory and Phoenix Red. The latter however is a reddish orange, usually judged to be more orange than red. Hence my choice to use orange instead of red. If one likes, all orange parts can be replaced by red ones but looking at photos and real examples, I'm sticking to orange.

Other colours that this model can be built in are Orange, White (both derived from this one or course), Red, Black, Yellow and Gray. The Black and Yellow combination would make building of the other Limited Edition, the "Bumblebee" possible as well.

@ Gray Gear: Thanks for your comments. Appreciated. I know about the pins on the side messing up the look. I tried to cover them but that didn't work. I do need the liftarms however to make the chassis/body as on the real car while giving it enough strength and stiffness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WPE said:

@ Gray Gear: Thanks for your comments. Appreciated. I know about the pins on the side messing up the look. I tried to cover them but that didn't work. I do need the liftarms however to make the chassis/body as on the real car while giving it enough strength and stiffness.

I thought so, I struggled with the same Problem on my Honda NSX. But I managed to provide a lot of rigidity with the center tunnel, and only use the Sides as support. Then I just flipped the last row of liftarms on the sides by 90°, and It looked a lot better, but still, there are probably more elegant solutions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I thought so, I struggled with the same Problem on my Honda NSX. But I managed to provide a lot of rigidity with the center tunnel, and only use the Sides as support. Then I just flipped the last row of liftarms on the sides by 90°, and It looked a lot better, but still, there are probably more elegant solutions. 

If I can find the time, I might give it a go. But I'm not that experienced in Lego. But for what it's worth, I love your NSX model. Thanks for your reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hello, I like it very much .. it also has beautiful proportions that reflect the original ..
For my personal taste that seeks the originality of the car I would opt on the hips to make the two black lines like the real one, while for the trontale and the back I would use the light gray that simulates the chrome with a last line in black bottom like mini skirt ..
The non-chrome bumpers made them only after 1972 and then with 4-cylinder 2000 engines, the 6 cylinders were all chromed.
However I would really like to make it so that I can keep it in the living room while I have the real one in the garage :)

914.jpg.da367b86f7fd8d2a2c78d3a502ec86da.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Andrea_1974 said:

hello, I like it very much .. it also has beautiful proportions that reflect the original ..
For my personal taste that seeks the originality of the car I would opt on the hips to make the two black lines like the real one, while for the trontale and the back I would use the light gray that simulates the chrome with a last line in black bottom like mini skirt ..
The non-chrome bumpers made them only after 1972 and then with 4-cylinder 2000 engines, the 6 cylinders were all chromed.
However I would really like to make it so that I can keep it in the living room while I have the real one in the garage :)

914.jpg.da367b86f7fd8d2a2c78d3a502ec86da.jpg

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your reply. In fact, I made this model also looking as a regular 914. Which is, a white one with either white, black or grey bumpers. Also the panels on the targa bar were black, with chrome (grey) curved fairing at the back.

I think it would be perfectly possible to make it as the car on the photo, except maybe for the wheels. Is it yours? 

I don't have all the pieces needed but give me some time to "modify" the CAD model. I'll post some screenshots on Pinterest when I'm ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the car is mine .. the wheels were an optional of the era .. the originals look like the ones you put but gray with chrome cups ..
Will you publish the istrzuini one day? I would love to add it to my collection of Porsche Legos.
Congratulations for the job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.