Following numerous modifications on the Mack #42078, I decided to build an icon: The Granite.

NTEAworktruckshowbooth.jpg

This is not my first one (See here) but built on a smaller scale (1:22 instead of 1:17).

800x600.jpg

The proportions of the hood have been corrected compared to the original set. It is shorter now. It is far from perfection, but I think I have found a good compromise between looks and realism. All the necessary details are here: horns, jig lights, asymmetric sides…

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Some areas are not completed yet. This is the case of the front mudguards where I am missing some 1x1 black beams. Also, the taillights would look better with an oblong shape.

800x409.jpg

The cabin (and all the insides) have been lowered by 1 stud leading to a redesign of the steering mechanism.

800x600.jpg

The engine remains unchanged compared to the set. The front cooling fan has been replaced by a 20t simple bevel gear to accommodate the short hood.

800x600.jpg

The rear part of the chassis is close to the one on the snowplow designed by @M_longer (42078 alternate). It enables to place the additional snow equipment. The tipper is white, with realistic shapes.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Here are some views of the mechanics (very simple):

800x347.jpg

800x347.jpg

The LDD file is close to completion. At this moment, I am not sure if I will share it because of the rear axles being the same as @M_longer’s. I did not buy the instructions for his alternate, all is built after photos.

800x409.jpg

Hope you like it ?.

Any constructive criticism is more than welcome!

Edited by grego18f
Correct links

Built your original Granite (spent hours making sense of and combining the LDD file) and liked the result so much it is still sitting in my display, so really look forward to seeing where this one will go.

@Maaboo35, @Ric079, @ScaleCarModels, thanks for your kind comments :classic:

1 hour ago, Ric079 said:

Built your original Granite (spent hours making sense of and combining the LDD file) and liked the result so much it is still sitting in my display, so really look forward to seeing where this one will go.

Yeah, I know the .lxf file is quite a nightmare to follow. LDD was new to me at this moment... I'll try to make it better in the future. I'm glad you enjoy the model. I was kind of disappointed once it was in parts (I can't build it again because I've sold my 42009 and my 9396). Having tested the two scales, I think 1:22 gives more potential for complete equipment.

11 minutes ago, eric trax said:

As I said only the snowplow part (the front blade and the spreader, both modified) and rear axles are from @M_longer alternate model. The rest (front axle, hood, cabin) are of my own :wink:. I'd say we took two different paths to reproduce a real truck, with different limitations.

8 hours ago, grego18f said:

I'd say we took two different paths to reproduce a real truck, with different limitations.

I feel some vibes from @grohl's Granite too:
51927868_2057491904342646_41029242629254

Thanks, guys! 

Anyway, the .lxf is complete. It doesn't seem at first sight but there are 1375 parts.lxf file. I am currently submitting it to Rebrickable.

Here are  other views, created in Studio 2.0:

800x563.jpg

800x403.jpg

800x299.jpg

I don't know yet if I will do any instructions. I have begun them but (as a beginner) it will be time-consuming, that's why I could ask for a little fee. If someone is interested in making them, contact me :wink:.

EDIT : a comparison with Milan's Granite!

800x462.jpg

800x441.jpg

Edited by grego18f
Comparison shots

18 minutes ago, grego18f said:

I don't know yet if I will do any instructions. I have begun them but (as a beginner) it will be time-consuming, that's why I could ask for a little fee. If someone is interested in making them, contact me :wink:. 

So there will be instructions for 3rd Granite, in the same scale and colour?
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-22014/M_longer/42078-alternate-mack-granite-snow-plow/

Wow! What an amazing model! I fall in love with 42078 set and still working and working on some modifications and MOCs that may make the Mack-around models family even bigger but this model looks just beautiful, if it can be said about a brutal heavy-duty worker Granite. Forgive me M_longers and Grohl but that frontwheel fenders... They are insane!

Would you mind if I borrow the roof design? I'm preparing the Daycab and 48" Flattop sleeper mods for the original Anthem among with other compatible changes and your design with a front slope with front identification and clearance lamps are the golden truth I was looking during many attempts (there was a curse - one more pinhole is always needed).

11 hours ago, Void_S said:

Wow! What an amazing model! I fall in love with 42078 set and still working and working on some modifications and MOCs that may make the Mack-around models family even bigger but this model looks just beautiful, if it can be said about a brutal heavy-duty worker Granite. Forgive me M_longers and Grohl but that frontwheel fenders... They are insane!

Would you mind if I borrow the roof design? I'm preparing the Daycab and 48" Flattop sleeper mods for the original Anthem among with other compatible changes and your design with a front slope with front identification and clearance lamps are the golden truth I was looking during many attempts (there was a curse - one more pinhole is always needed).

Thank you! The top of the front wheel fenders had to be brickbuilt to match better the real thing. It adds a finishing touch I think. 

Of course, you can take the roof design! May I suggest you visit my Bricksafe page? I built a PF Anthem flattop sleeper months ago that could interest you. It was a proportion corrected model of the 42078.

800x600.jpg

Edited by grego18f

Hi,

@Void_S kindly created free PDF instructions. Feel free to build it and indicate any mistake :wink:.

800x565.jpg

Here is the link

Please note that this version is a bit different compared to the original LDD model.

Edited by grego18f
Adding precisions

Interesting mix. Few bits from Anthem, few bits from my snow plow and rest from you.
May I ask why there are still those 12 bevel gears left, they were used for driving the salt spreader, not present in a dump truck? :)

8 hours ago, M_longer said:

Interesting mix. Few bits from Anthem, few bits from my snow plow and rest from you.
May I ask why there are still those 12 bevel gears left, they were used for driving the salt spreader, not present in a dump truck? :)

You are true there is a huge mix...

Engine and interior from Anthem, Rear section from you :laugh:. I am not a fast MOCer so I tend to prefer modifying existing things... Hard work has been done on getting accurate proportions (shorter hood, lower cabin, wider grill...) and I am quite happy with it. 

The 12t bevel gear is still here to power the salt spreader indeed. Just a few mods are needed to your design to fasten it (my tipper is 2 studs longer from memory).

Thanks very much for the .pdf - even with my failing eyesight it was easy to follow, and am very pleased with the finished model which shows excellent detail & scaling. Just in passing, steps 252 to 355 have got a bit overlaid, but no problem.