SD100

75955 Hogwarts Express Running Problems

So I motorized my Hogwarts Express the JANGBRICKS way, but the front truck is giving me problems. It was fine until I added traction tires but for some reason now I can't keep it on the rails. I've been trying  different methods of flat plates to hold it down, but so far no luck. Has anyone had a specific method that worked?

I put a boat weight in the boiler, and all it does it derail. on normal r40 curves it rides right up the side of the rail and over about 50% of the time. I've redesigned the lead truck about 10 times but no luck yet.

Ah, so, sometimes having traction tires on 4 wheels prevents the wheels from having the small amount of rail slip they actually need in a turn. This causes it to climb up and over the rail.

The best way to stop this is actually to remove a traction tire, either one or two. You need at least one wheel to be able to slip a little bit.

If you do two, I'd recommend removing them from the same axle. Keep in mind that this will introduce a little bit of a slope to the way the engine sits, so make sure that your pilot truck still has enough clearance. 

Sometimes I find going back to the beginning helpful. I guess in this case back to the design that worked. I have this train too...while I have not motorized it yet, I have had my other trains push it around with no problems as long as the locking mechanism is up so the front truck can swivel.

I ran into an issue with curves after motorizing the Hogwarts Express.   My implementation has PF motor in the tender.   Still, I needed to redesign the pilot truck with an additional 1/2 stud of offset toward the front to prevent binding on R40 curves.

I’ve motorised the 75955 Hogwarts Express as well.

I kept it simple, using the minimum number of parts.  I put the powered up hub in the tender (lengthened by 2 studs)  and put the train motor under it.  The actual locomotive remains unchanged. 

On 8/15/2019 at 11:59 AM, SD100 said:

So I motorized my Hogwarts Express the JANGBRICKS way, but the front truck is giving me problems. It was fine until I added traction tires but for some reason now I can't keep it on the rails. I've been trying  different methods of flat plates to hold it down, but so far no luck. Has anyone had a specific method that worked?

Where did you find a part list and building instruction? I'm also wanting to do it his way but the YouTube video does not show everything. Thx

I just copied the video, after some experimentation I don't recommend his method, you can put the motor in the exact same place if you keep the stock technic beams. I can take some pics of my setup if it would help you.

12 hours ago, SD100 said:

I just copied the video, after some experimentation I don't recommend his method, you can put the motor in the exact same place if you keep the stock technic beams. I can take some pics of my setup if it would help you.

yes, please!

On 8/24/2019 at 4:51 AM, icemorons said:

I ran into an issue with curves after motorizing the Hogwarts Express.   My implementation has PF motor in the tender.   Still, I needed to redesign the pilot truck with an additional 1/2 stud of offset toward the front to prevent binding on R40 curves.

I recently also powered my hogwarts express with the power functions 2.0 in the coal car. I noticed the train is not running smoothly on curved tracks. Did anyone manage to alter the locomotive to avoid this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uvNncq3c2ZvjwfVs5

Here you can see how the motor rests on top of a 2x3 plate with holes. The green bricks are 1x2s with stud on one side, 3 of them hold the motor.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hRvTfG1dyWZCCUGJ6

Here you can see the array of 8 jumpers that hold the motor mount on top and allow it to attach to the top plates of the boiler, and the boat weight in the boiler.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zz5WRMSH7P2p7Rkw7

And this shows the gears and offset achieved from the technic beams the same was as JANGbricks did, at what is here the grey and white technic bricks, but with the standard frame retained.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cLRxdJd3NprPFzeQ7

And here is my slightly more elegant firebox solution

Icemorons, How did you achieve the 1/2 stud offset?

Trainfan, the R40 curves really seem to give it trouble. A boat weight in the boiler helped a little bit for me but any unusual curve transition still throws the lead truck off the tracks. I am still trying though, I have at least one more front truck redesign I have to try.

Edited by SD100
Clarity

SD100, thank you for sharing your build.  I purchased two of these sets.  One has been powered with a motor under the tender.  It works ok, need to add some weight to the engine.  Planning on powering the second engine with the motor in the engine as you have done.  Will post which option works best in my layout.