2 hours ago, Moppo said:

Looking great! I can tell you that the large sloped wedge pieces don't come in red at all, I already checked. Though I'd love to be proven wrong. :)

EDIT: I was wrong, kinda. Those wedges do exist in red. But Studio lists them as £7.29, which is probably as good as non-existent. xD

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=50955&name=Wedge 10 x 3 Left&category=[Wedge]#T=S&C=5&O={"color":5,"iconly":0}

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=50956&name=Wedge 10 x 3 Right&category=[Wedge]#T=S&C=5&O={"color":5,"iconly":0}

Yes, almost non-existent, but surprisingly cheap IF you can get your hands on a used one.

@Gumbinger what a fantastic build! Really great, I can see you channeling Jerac's style. It is even a little more movie accurate than mine :wink:! I especially love your cockpit details and your use of noodle tiles (too bad they don't make them in regular blue yet). If I were you I'd totally make instructions and talk to the guys at brickvault.toys I think they would be very interesting in promoting and selling your MOC. I believe they were not as interested in my MOC since it is quite a bit different in style from Jerac's A-wing (which they sell) - but yours is on the money. GO FOR IT!

On 8/14/2019 at 9:36 PM, Wurger49 said:

The moc looks great, the best RZ-2  I have seen to date, even better than bertholts version on rebrickable. 

The new modified round tiles only comes in dark blue, and the dark blue looks great against the white.

Wait a second! :laugh: J/K It is indeed more movie accurate than mine. I'm trying to strike this balance with my MOCs of sticking more to typical LEGO build style - it get's hard to get perfectly movie accurate in that context. What I'm really going for is a sweet MOC that my daughters don't destroy the second they run in my office and start playing with it. :grin: 

Spoiler

If you are looking for a pilot I also found this reference for the Red Squadron A-wing...It's a hasbro toy (so not sure how cannon but whatever). I painted another a-wing helmet I had but need to find some good transfer decals for the Rebel symbol. 

pilot.jpg

Edited by bertholt

10 hours ago, bertholt said:

@Gumbinger what a fantastic build! Really great, I can see you channeling Jerac's style. It is even a little more movie accurate than mine :wink:! I especially love your cockpit details and your use of noodle tiles (too bad they don't make them in regular blue yet). If I were you I'd totally make instructions and talk to the guys at brickvault.toys I think they would be very interesting in promoting and selling your MOC. I believe they were not as interested in my MOC since it is quite a bit different in style from Jerac's A-wing (which they sell) - but yours is on the money. GO FOR IT!

Wait a second! :laugh: J/K It is indeed more movie accurate than mine. I'm trying to strike this balance with my MOCs of sticking more to typical LEGO build style - it get's hard to get perfectly movie accurate in that context. What I'm really going for is a sweet MOC that my daughters don't destroy the second they run in my office and start playing with it. :grin: 

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you!  I appreciate the complements.  Your model is great too, and I think LEGO should update their design to more resemble yours.  They never address the split the in the front end, and I don't think they addressed the updated shape (i.e. its a tad longer then the RZ-1).  

I am currently working on instructions, and they should be done in the next week.  I did reach out to Brick Vault, but unfortunately they were not interested in using my design for their shop because they are already working with another designer.  Oh well! 

I will more than likely sell them on rebrickable.

ALSO - that's a great looking minifig!  Looks legit LEGO

@Gumbinger Well that's a bummer about brick vault. I agree, LEGO is not really addressing the design changes of the RZ-2. It is much slimmer and longer. Good luck with the MOC launch! I've been working on a few projects I've been itching the share, but they aren't totally finished yet. 

On 9/3/2019 at 5:01 AM, Gumbinger said:

**UPDATE** 

I finished the Stud.io model this weekend and tinkered with some color-swaps.  I didn't check to see if LEGO makes all the pieces in the colors needed, so I'm sure I will need to edit them when I make instructions.  For example, I know they don't make the ice cream cone piece in red or green, but I can swap those out for regular cones.  I didn't spend much time on the red or green models, I only swapped colors.

48670496638_fea390dabc_b.jpgRZ-2 A-Wing BLUE by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

48670496578_707c93484a_b.jpgRZ-2 A-Wing RED by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

48670496618_c3472cc05f_b.jpgRZ-2 A-Wing GREEN by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

I'd be interested to see what grey looks like too. These colors are beautiful though, I especially like the red.

Good morning!  I just wanted to stop by to let you know that the instructions are up on REBRICKABLE.  I am almost finished with the instructions for the Red version, and will add those sometime this week.  

- M 

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 8.11.46 AM.png

1 hour ago, Gumbinger said:

Good morning!  I just wanted to stop by to let you know that the instructions are up on REBRICKABLE.  I am almost finished with the instructions for the Red version, and will add those sometime this week.  

- M 

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 8.11.46 AM.png

Nice, are you also going to include your RZ-1 A-wing mod as well, the nose gap and fins are an improvement to Jerac's model. 

Very nice! The two 1x1 round plates with holes that the thrusters attach to, do they not move with that attachment?

13 minutes ago, Wurger49 said:

Nice, are you also going to include your RZ-1 A-wing mod as well, the nose gap and fins are an improvement to Jerac's model. 

I wasn't planning on it, but I definitely will!  Once I'm finished with the red & green variants' instructions, I will post the mods.

8 minutes ago, Moppo said:

Very nice! The two 1x1 round plates with holes that the thrusters attach to, do they not move with that attachment?

Thanks!  The lips of the 1x1 round plates with holes fit snug in the gaps in the plates on either side, and don't move.  It's definitely not an approved Lego method, but it works.  And it keeps the thrusters perfectly centered in the engines. 

3 minutes ago, Gumbinger said:

Thanks!  The lips of the 1x1 round plates with holes fit snug in the gaps in the plates on either side, and don't move.  It's definitely not an approved Lego method, but it works.  And it keeps the thrusters perfectly centered in the engines.

Cool! I'll have to remember that connection.

May I ask please if each colour build is a separate set of instructions?  or will there be one purchase for all three colour schemes - thanks.

49 minutes ago, Hold0511 said:

May I ask please if each colour build is a separate set of instructions?  or will there be one purchase for all three colour schemes - thanks.

One purchase for all three 

I saw this right when you posted it and was meaning to post a comment ever since.. :D I really like your take on the RZ-2, it really is everything the official set for EP9 should have been. The shaping is perfect, all the important details are there and the colour scheme looks soo much better than the one they chose for the set (but that's really just my opinion).
Funnily enough your model really reminds me of my own (unpublished) version of this ship. I built it in December of last year mostly based on my RZ-1 with some changes to the proportions and of course the colours. Your version looks so much more refined and simply better than mine though..! I might have to steal some of your techniques and update mine. It really feels like a first draft of a model now that I compare it to yours.. :D And now that I think of it, I think I pretty much built it in one day, so I guess it really is a first draft. :D

Best of luck with selling the instructions, maybe you can fund the next great Starfighter model with the sales? ;) Anything planned yet? Really like your Delta-7A too btw! I had started building a new version of mine but I might just steal some ideas from you here too.. :P

On 9/11/2019 at 10:25 AM, Kit Bricksto said:

I saw this right when you posted it and was meaning to post a comment ever since.. :D I really like your take on the RZ-2, it really is everything the official set for EP9 should have been. The shaping is perfect, all the important details are there and the colour scheme looks soo much better than the one they chose for the set (but that's really just my opinion).
Funnily enough your model really reminds me of my own (unpublished) version of this ship. I built it in December of last year mostly based on my RZ-1 with some changes to the proportions and of course the colours. Your version looks so much more refined and simply better than mine though..! I might have to steal some of your techniques and update mine. It really feels like a first draft of a model now that I compare it to yours.. :D And now that I think of it, I think I pretty much built it in one day, so I guess it really is a first draft. :D

Best of luck with selling the instructions, maybe you can fund the next great Starfighter model with the sales? ;) Anything planned yet? Really like your Delta-7A too btw! I had started building a new version of mine but I might just steal some ideas from you here too.. :P

Hi there!  Thanks for the kind words.  I would love to see your updated rendition of this ship -- you can never have enough takes on this ship.  Maybe I'll takle my Delta-7A model next... It's due for an update in a couple of areas

I’ve been meaning to post a comment for a while too, you’ve done such an excellent job of capturing the look and proportions of the RZ-2, and thanks for doing instructions for the three colours, brilliant work! I love the shaping around the cockpit, very smart move mounting it all on the upside down base, that’s the sort of problem solving I enjoy seeing on eurobricks. I also really like the blue curved tiles on the hull, I hope you don’t mind but I’ve borrowed your idea for my RZ-2, I’m trying to mod 75175 (and the new A-Wing when it’s out) in as few pieces as possible and little details like this have helped a lot.

Instructions bought, 90% of the parts in, just waiting for those macaronis and wedges to arrive and the building can commence....

Amazing work! Just purchased and downloaded the instructions. One question -- What is the piece/sticker for the cockpit control panel? I've never seen it before. 

On 9/22/2019 at 1:30 AM, mcphatty said:

I’ve been meaning to post a comment for a while too, you’ve done such an excellent job of capturing the look and proportions of the RZ-2, and thanks for doing instructions for the three colours, brilliant work! I love the shaping around the cockpit, very smart move mounting it all on the upside down base, that’s the sort of problem solving I enjoy seeing on eurobricks. I also really like the blue curved tiles on the hull, I hope you don’t mind but I’ve borrowed your idea for my RZ-2, I’m trying to mod 75175 (and the new A-Wing when it’s out) in as few pieces as possible and little details like this have helped a lot.

I've been slacking lately and need to finish the red instructions - I need to test out the "hood" in physical bricks first.  But I'm close to adding those to the rebrickable site.  All who have purchased will get the updated PDFs once they are completed.  Can't wait to see your version!

18 hours ago, Hold0511 said:

Instructions bought, 90% of the parts in, just waiting for those macaronis and wedges to arrive and the building can commence....

Awesome!  Can't wait to see how it turns out.

9 hours ago, SnowDog2112 said:

Amazing work! Just purchased and downloaded the instructions. One question -- What is the piece/sticker for the cockpit control panel? I've never seen it before. 

Sweet!  Its a sticker, not sure which set it came from.  It looks like its from a trench run?  Maybe from one of my older x-wing sets?  I'll try to confirm on bricklink.

WIP pic - I had enough for a second model so I figured pending the Red version instructions coming out I'll just do a colour swap (man those wedges are hard to get in the UK in red).

Waiting for the dark blue macaronis (they don't yet come in red yet which is a shame given all the less common colours they are available in already), white skis for the landing gear (DBG at the moment), replacement canopies and the odd tile here and there (top guns for example, more white macs)...

Great build, and look so good in real bricks....I can see me having a whole range of them....green, orange, grey..... 

rz-2smaller.jpg

I am loving the use of the curved tile pieces to do the blue lines on the ship. Excellent MOC

11 hours ago, Hold0511 said:

WIP pic - I had enough for a second model so I figured pending the Red version instructions coming out I'll just do a colour swap (man those wedges are hard to get in the UK in red).

Waiting for the dark blue macaronis (they don't yet come in red yet which is a shame given all the less common colours they are available in already), white skis for the landing gear (DBG at the moment), replacement canopies and the odd tile here and there (top guns for example, more white macs)...

Great build, and look so good in real bricks....I can see me having a whole range of them....green, orange, grey..... 

rz-2smaller.jpg

Man those look great!  I think I prefer the clear canopy - I might update mine.  Glad you liked the build!