coaster

Replacement Wheels

In case you missed our Facebook announcement:

With the new all-plastic train wheels evidently becoming the new standard, I thought it would be a good time to announce that BrickTracks has partnered with Brick Model Railroader, Brick Train Depot, and Brick Forge to produce replacement wheels for use with metal axles and ball bearings.

We have deviated a bit from the LEGO design, in that we have replaced the point on the hub with a standard full-sized stud.  We are also tightening up the hole for the axle so these wheels will be a tighter press-fit, eliminating the need for the wheel housing or glue.

Replacement wheels.

This will have no effect on the switch track development (I'll have an update on that shortly).  We expect to have these wheels available by December.

Will these still work in the current wheel holders? Or in the new ones? Or will we have to buy new ones to match?

14 minutes ago, kiwinewt said:

Will these still work in the current wheel holders? Or in the new ones? Or will we have to buy new ones to match?

Use ball bearings in technic bricks/parts!:excited:

How about replacement for 2920 as well?:moar:

Great to hear, I'm just starting to convert some of my trains to ball bearings and have been really impressed.

7 hours ago, coaster said:

We are also tightening up the hole for the axle so these wheels will be a tighter press-fit, eliminating the need for the wheel housing or glue.

Excellent... will you be able to test this functionality before you go into full production?

Great news! You already picked up my wish over at the other thread about the Disney Train.

And good to see a collaboration on a wide base of experts involved.

Looking forward to your switches and wheels! 

Holger

12 hours ago, kiwinewt said:

Mechanically, yes, you would be able to assemble them into the current (old) wheel holder, but because we removed the point, there is nothing to laterally retain them, so they would rub on the holder.  They might work, but would be less than idea for this arrangement.

11 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Great to hear, I'm just starting to convert some of my trains to ball bearings and have been really impressed.

Excellent... will you be able to test this functionality before you go into full production?

Yes, we'll have tooling approval pieces sent before we hit production, so we'll be able to make any tweaks needed to get it just right.

Hmm nice idea, but really expensive for europeans. I had just several struggles with german customs who would not accept, that I imported not illegal LEGO copies ... Do you think about an european distribution branch comparable to 4Dbrix or so?

Btw.: The idea to combine ball bearings (recommended type MR 52 RR) with technic bricks is very good, we have just to widen the hole from 4.8 to 5.0 mm with a drilling machine for home use. (Ok Ok, watch on your fingers ...)

On the other hand, this is only a solution for die hard brickrailroaders. For the masses it's more recommendable to lubricate the new all plastic wheels with a tiny speck of lithium grease. Please keep in mind the old bogies will die out in the more or less far future.

@Giottist We are working with an outfit in Europe to distribute these.  And yes, the casual builders will simply adapt to the new wheelsets, but that is really not an option for the bigger builders.

Also, you don't even have to drill out the Technic bricks.  The .2mm is small enough that you can use a press or vice to press the bearing into place.

1 hour ago, coaster said:

Also, you don't even have to drill out the Technic bricks.  The .2mm is small enough that you can use a press or vice to press the bearing into place.

O really? I'll try it and report my results here ! Ok, chinese ball bearings are really cheap (I've bought 140 pcs.), enough to sacrify some ;)

Ah: I'm using ball bearings of the MR 52 ZZ type combined with stainless steel axles diameter 2mm h9 40mm length made of alloy 1.2210 (115CrV3), known in Germany as "Silberstahl", both available at Ebay. The axles fit perfectly into the ball bearings.

And thank you a lot for the Info for european brickrailroaders :sweet:

Edited by Giottist
Added info about the right ball bearing and axle type

On 8/15/2019 at 3:09 AM, kiwinewt said:

I am afraid new ones are needed to buy cause I can't imagine how to match them into the old settings...

cheap essay writing

On 8/15/2019 at 1:27 AM, ALCO said:

How about replacement for 2920 as well?:moar:

Thats certainly a good idea - i can't thing of a single MOC where I've really thought 'I want that' that uses the current buffers - producing the magnets would also be a good addition.

Edited by Vilhelm22