Sign in to follow this  
ks6349

Would you still purchase Lego from Amazon US?

Posted (edited)

Since I found and watched the video about opening and resealing the Lego box perfectly without damage, I am so worried that I'd get kinds of fake / used Lego even if it's shipped from and sold by Amazon.com

What do you think?

Amazon is busy selling and shipping tens of thousands of different products every day so I don't think they will understand each product very deeply. After watching the video,

I can immediately imagine that someone buys Lego from Amazon, do these tricks, steal or replace it with fake bricks, and then ship back for refund. Amazon received the returned products, looks OK, I certainly don't think they would use (or even know about) the skills of opening the Lego box. And then they sell again to another customer.

I always thought that return 7 days or 15 days or 30 days without questions asked was

always good but now I think I will never, ever purchase again on Amazon and any place

where return or refund is easy. There are still a few sets of Lego on its way from Amazon! :(

Edited by ks6349

Posted (edited)

On a recent order from Amazon.de I had 1 large set box that was open on 1 side, but the original LEGO seals (black stripes/numbers) were still stuck on the box and not cut with a knife, something heavy must have been put on top during storage or something, as it wasn't caused during transport (outer box wasn't damaged).

Despite it being a large set with multiple bags nothing was missing, bags were still sealed, parts were okay.

Will I order there again? Yes, for sure.

I buy almost all my LEGO online, except magazines, so I'm not at all going to worry about this, I mostly only buy from larger online stores.

One time I had 1 brick piece missing (1x2 corner brick), but at the same time another extra plate piece (1x6 plate) was in the set, so I contacted LEGO and they sent a replacement part.

Edited by TeriXeri

I don't get why you say Amazon US. This could happen at any retailer including LEGO. And it doesn't matter if you open the box, as you can return it.

Posted (edited)

If you return a product on Amazon you have to pay the return shipping (unless it's defective or something). So I think it would be more of a hassle than to return to Walmart. Also I think Amazon only sells returned sets as warehouse deals, though I could be wrong. Another thing is that most retailers keep track of how many returns a buyer makes and would get suspicious if someone (a scammer) returns stuff too often.

Edited by Brickbuilder0937

4 hours ago, Brickbuilder0937 said:

If you return a product on Amazon you have to pay the return shipping (unless it's defective or something). So I think it would be more of a hassle than to return to Walmart. Also I think Amazon only sells returned sets as warehouse deals, though I could be wrong. Another thing is that most retailers keep track of how many returns a buyer makes and would get suspicious if someone (a scammer) returns stuff too often.

This is all I understand. What I am worried is the possibility that Amazon will get the returned product without checking very carefully and then re-sell it to another customer.

The above youtube video suggests that a Lego box could be opened and resealed perfectly and difficult to be detected unless they open the box. I doubt if Amazon staff will open the box if it looks unopened to them.

All of this begs the question: why are Lego boxes so easy to open without damaging them permanently? I mean, most retail products are packed in such a way that it's almost impossible to open them without at least some visible damage to the exterior so why are Lego boxes sealed only with a couple of small stickers that can be removed and replaced quite easily?

Presumably the number opened in such a way and returned is so small that it does not justify the costs of using other methods of sealing boxes. If a normal consumer gets a dodgy returned box, they will return it quite quickly so it isn't really a problem.

22 hours ago, howitzer said:

All of this begs the question: why are Lego boxes so easy to open without damaging them permanently? I mean, most retail products are packed in such a way that it's almost impossible to open them without at least some visible damage to the exterior so why are Lego boxes sealed only with a couple of small stickers that can be removed and replaced quite easily?

Yes, you are very right.

I have faith on Amazon that they will not resend any products to another customer if they can be seen damaged.

I have faith on Amazon that they will not resend any products to another customer if 
they suspect that it's problematic.

I don't have faith that they will look into the returned item very carefully before resending to another customer or just never resend to another customer if a returned Lego is in MISB and looks like new.

Thanks to the evil video on youtube. This finding makes me never, ever purchase Lego on ebay or anywhere I cannot trust or accept return or refund for any period.

Edited by ks6349

1 hour ago, ks6349 said:

Yes, you are very right.

I have faith on Amazon that they will not resend any products to another customer if they can be seen damaged.

I have faith on Amazon that they will not resend any products to another customer if 
they suspect that it's problematic.

I don't have faith that they will look into the returned item very carefully before resending to another customer or just never resend to another customer if a returned Lego is in MISB and looks like new.

Thanks to the evil video on youtube. This finding makes me never, ever purchase Lego on ebay or anywhere I cannot trust or accept return or refund for any period.

From what I understand, anything that is returned to Amazon (even if apparently unused) gets sold through their warehouse, rather than their main store. I don't know what LEGO's policy is on this though. You may well find that LEGO resells returned sets.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

From what I understand, anything that is returned to Amazon (even if apparently unused) gets sold through their warehouse, rather than their main store. I don't know what LEGO's policy is on this though. You may well find that LEGO resells returned sets.

I hope that too. But what is the link of their warehouse site?

There will be a link to it at or near the bottom of whichever country amazon site you use. Search the amazon front page for "warehouse" (or equivalent in another language if not using English.)

Purchase from Amazon US all the time, no issues.  That said, I'm only purchasing current Lego offering so part swapping not as big issue.  On the old stuff, would use Bricklink.

Today I went to a Lego promotion in a nearby shopping mall asking about the return or refund policy. The girl wearing Lego T-shirt at the cashier playing her mobile phone and unfriendly said - "Yes it's allowed". I didn't ask her in details because refund or return is no difference to increasing risk of swapping bricks inside and then I left. I wasn't busy and I stood aside and waited an hour and happened to see a dad-like guy brought a moderate set of Lego (310XX) for return, the young staff wasn't very patient and just did some computer work and then the return was easily finished. Of course, he was more interested in his mobile device and joking with other staff. Luckily I did not see him immediately put back the returned Lego set to the shelf for sale again. But I don't think he even had the concept of the possible swapping of the bricks inside by opening and resealing the box perfectly. I hope the returned Lego at least marked as "Returned" and will be sent for check later. I cannot control the possible theft,
however, I really need to make sure I won't buy anything once returned by someone or out of the store and back for even a second next time.

It will vary from store to store and employee to employee, but typically returned items won't be put back on shelves immediately on return. The same as any items abandoned at the checkout, or left on the floor, or taken off the shelves and put back in the wrong place, staff will put them behind a counter or wherever, then they will be returned to shelves later - probably by another staff member.

If it really is an issue for you, then buy it and open it and return it if it has been tampered with.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

It will vary from store to store and employee to employee, but typically returned items won't be put back on shelves immediately on return. The same as any items abandoned at the checkout, or left on the floor, or taken off the shelves and put back in the wrong place, staff will put them behind a counter or wherever, then they will be returned to shelves later - probably by another staff member.

If it really is an issue for you, then buy it and open it and return it if it has been tampered with.

It isn't an issue for me now because I will never buy Lego again from anywhere in which return or refund is allowed, no matter if they are on sales or cheap or what, NO, never, ever again. I only complain here for relief because I once bought Lego from somewhere return/refund was allowed. Those sets are not opened yet and of course, long after return/refund period now. Amazon customer service yesterday told me that they wouldn't resend returned item, I hope they were not just comforting me because another customer service told me earlier that they would resend returned items and yes chances are getting returned item if they "look" new.

Edited by ks6349

17 minutes ago, ks6349 said:

It isn't an issue for me now because I will never buy Lego again from anywhere in which return or refund is allowed, no matter if they are on sales or cheap or what, NO, never, ever again. I only complain here for relief because I once bought Lego from somewhere return/refund was allowed. Those sets are not opened yet and of course, long after return/refund period now. Amazon customer service yesterday told me that they wouldn't resend returned item, I hope they were not just comforting me because another customer service told me earlier that they would resend returned items and yes chances are getting returned item if they "look" new.

So out of interest, where are you going to buy from? Just about all stores allow returns and you will never know what happens to the returns if they look new and unused.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

So out of interest, where are you going to buy from? Just about all stores allow returns and you will never know what happens to the returns if they look new and unused.

I'll buy from small shops than. Small shops here in my country mostly do not allow any refunds or returns after payment, not to mention after walking out of the shop. and they are usually one man bank with lego sets full in their shops, yes chances are they are swapping bricks too, but it should be much much lower than those who accept returns / refunds. 

I'd also purchase from Amazon USA as well. But I will only purchase immediately after they put on the shelf and will not wait for another week or two to make sure I am getting the first batch of lego sets 

Edited by ks6349

Of all the Lego outlets Amazon probably has the best customer service. Even if there was something missing or swapped, I'm sure Amazon would simply send a replacement. Just like they do with everything else.
Failing that... just contact Lego with the instruction booklet number and a list of what's missing, where you purchased the set and Lego will send you the missing parts. Presumably Lego will take it up with a retailer if they track a trend of issues.

I'm more paranoid about Ebay regarding theft and reseal or counterfeits.
Walmart I've seen first hand, boxes opened roughly, parts stolen and still being sold at full price with no bricks given by employees.

1 hour ago, Masked Mini said:

Of all the Lego outlets Amazon probably has the best customer service. Even if there was something missing or swapped, I'm sure Amazon would simply send a replacement. Just like they do with everything else.
Failing that... just contact Lego with the instruction booklet number and a list of what's missing, where you purchased the set and Lego will send you the missing parts. Presumably Lego will take it up with a retailer if they track a trend of issues.

I'm more paranoid about Ebay regarding theft and reseal or counterfeits.
Walmart I've seen first hand, boxes opened roughly, parts stolen and still being sold at full price with no bricks given by employees.

No matter what. I don't even want to take even a slight chance. Lego is something very different to other products in such a way that 1. items inside can be stolen, swapped, replaced by fake without damaging the box. 2. Lego can be resold easily for good value,

even without outer box, this could attract theft.

The owner of Amazon as the world's richest person, I really hope they will treat ALL returned Lego as problematic no matter what and don't let them be sold as new again.

5 hours ago, ks6349 said:

No matter what. I don't even want to take even a slight chance. Lego is something very different to other products in such a way that 1. items inside can be stolen, swapped, replaced by fake without damaging the box. 2. Lego can be resold easily for good value,

even without outer box, this could attract theft.

The owner of Amazon as the world's richest person, I really hope they will treat ALL returned Lego as problematic no matter what and don't let them be sold as new again.

My friend, Jeff Bezos didn't get to where he is by wasting money. The returns will most definitly be resold. Maybe as Amazon warehouse deals or in as wholesale returned goods by the pallet load (which they already do by the way). From there the buyers resell the stuff they bought at auction through all the usual places, Ebay, Craigslist and yes... Amazon Marketplace. They might not be placed on the shelves as new by Amazon for Amazon but possibly for fulfillment for a Marketplace vendor. And ofcourse once they leave the Amazon ecosphere it's entirely out of their hands and absolutely no different than buying a Lego set anywhere else. Everywhere you buy Lego you run the chance that someone tampered with the set.

Edited by Masked Mini