TuffTuffTuff

71044 Disney Train and Station

4 hours ago, ks6349 said:

Not interested in anything about Disney. This is for kid.

All Lego trains have been for kids from the very beginning. Don't lose sight of that.

Just now, Lyichir said:

All Lego trains have been for kids from the very beginning. Don't lose sight of that.

Or kids at heart.  :classic:

Too bad, the train isn't sold separately.

2 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

8 studs wide :cry_sad:

It must be smaller, not wider than other trains. It will look strange whenever another train is nearby. And it will get stuck at all existing platforms. Congratulations to Lego to produce a set that is incompatible with virtually any existing Lego train layout. They mess up a set that should have been a no-brainer. It's unbelievable. It's a set for beginners who don't notice that the scale is horribly wrong. I bet all train fans will be very disappointed once they run the train the first time and notice all the flaws.

Maybe it was difficult or even impossible to make the train look good at a smaller scale. But if they cannot do it right, they shouldn't do it all and release something else.

And as usual: price, stickers, plastic axles, ... nothing is done right in this set.

That's actually a problem with the winter holiday train, too. It just doesn't fit in the normal train scale and looks really bad near every other recent train. So maybe it's time to start a 2nd layout/ collection for amusement trains? :/

2 minutes ago, Tcm0 said:

That's actually a problem with the winter holiday train, too. It just doesn't fit in the normal train scale and looks really bad near every other recent train. So maybe it's time to start a 2nd layout/ collection for amusement trains? :/

Why, the winter holiday train is 6 studs wide?

6 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

HI like it! Also revealed on the same day as my final Disney interview I wonder if it's a sign.

I feel the motorization being in the tender is a good thing because it allows much more customization on the engine.  That said, I still prefer having motors in the engine themselves

Good luck!

4 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

I can't tell for sure, not even from the New Elementary review, but it looks to me as if the main driving wheels may be on a separate bogie (notice the air gap under the cab) and the leading wheels on another. This seems odd, especially as the connecting rods will look even weirder than they do already. That could be my imagination though.

3 hours ago, ALCO said:

I was thinking the same thing and it looks like it could be. That would mean the driving wheels could be bogie and since the front wheels are a bogie that will really help the locomotive corner the R40's especially considering all the added friction from the new wheels sets. 

I wrote that review on NE, so it's my fault if it's not entirely clear. :blush:  The driving wheels are indeed on a separate bogie (notice how a 30552 is used to limit the rotation, it's a nice trick) :

Disney Train loco

The locomotive can't take curves if you fix the driving wheels to the boiler. You can always replace the first pair of wheels with blind wheels, but even that way there will be friction, and if it's the second pair of wheels you replace, they will hang in the air and it looks ridiculous.

1 hour ago, legotownlinz said:

Why, the winter holiday train is 6 studs wide?

The winter village train is way too big. It looks like a small amusement park train while it has the same height as the emerald night or the maersk train. It's a different scale. But maybe that's just me.

7 minutes ago, Tcm0 said:

The winter village train is way too big. It looks like a small amusement park train while it has the same height as the emerald night or the maersk train. It's a different scale. But maybe that's just me.

I consider the Winter Holiday train as a historic standard gauge train with some christmas decoration, so the scale is fine for me. 

If the Disney train had the same width as other trains, despite actually being a narrow gauge train, I would be fine. But wider is not acceptable. 

Edited by legotownlinz

I'm not really into trains, but the set looks really awesome. I'm especially taken by the station. Such lovely brickwork - and internal decoration is there too. If that would be sold as standalone, I would be on board! :wink: As for the train-width discussion I think a bit more coherence on side of TLG when it comes to sizing would be quite helpful. It looks definitely looking gorgeous though.

All in all its not a set made for me, but I think it will be quite a hit. Christmas isn't that far away and we AFOLs take every chance we get to justify buying too much Lego :laugh:

Absolutely beautiful!  What a wonderful set by LEGO.  Loving everything about it from the new steam engine to the detailed station.  This is a real keepsake that I plan on buying! Congrats to the LEGO designer(s) for a splendid set.  Thanks to EB for posting on the Front Page, although I think it should have got more "air time".

I'm excited about this one and being an "old cowboy", not many things excite me these days.  Top notch!

At first glance I gawked completely at the price in AUD ($550 inc. GST), but after comparing it to the winter holiday train and calculating the $/pc I found that it comes out to be cheaper than the holiday train ($0.18pp vs $0.20pp), AND on top of that it's actually motorized. For a licensed Disney product this is actually pretty good value. Still won't buy it because I don't have the money though :laugh:

Edited by Bartybum

15 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

I bet all train fans will be very disappointed once they run the train the first time and notice all the flaws ... nothing is done right in this set.

BROWCH!  Respectfully disagree.  I've been collecting LEGO Trains for decades and as a train enthusiast, I love this set and applaud the design.  In fact, it may even become my new favorite giving the Emerald Night a run for its money.  

5 hours ago, Leewan said:

I wrote that review on NE, so it's my fault if it's not entirely clear. :blush:  The driving wheels are indeed on a separate bogie (notice how a 30552 is used to limit the rotation, it's a nice trick) :

Disney Train loco

The locomotive can't take curves if you fix the driving wheels to the boiler. You can always replace the first pair of wheels with blind wheels, but even that way there will be friction, and if it's the second pair of wheels you replace, they will hang in the air and it looks ridiculous.

While I'm still not sure about the overall performance of the new wheel sets, if it means that they are cost effective enough to mold in different colors already, then I'm willing to, pun intended, roll with them for now, especially since the only previously available standard train wheels in red were the ones that had the technic axle fittings & were meant to be used with the PF/PuP train motor (or otherwise motorized), and I can guarantee that, regardless of how much more friction the new all-plastic wheels have over the old metal ones, making a leading truck using the technic axle ones has friction that is at least several orders of magnitude greater than anything the new all-plastic train wheels have...

7 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Too bad, the train isn't sold separately.

I’m sure you can strike a deal with someone who only wants the station :wink: 

The Lego Disney minifigs are not my favorites but the set is quite nice: both the house and the train are well done

I missed the new red weels :excited: but I don't understand why they didn't make them as usual with the metal axle :look:

Nice train, nice building with great parts ... but these new wheels are so bad for LEGO train modelrailroad junkies like we are. Might work for short trains in a kids room, but not for AFOLs :-(

I hope third party companies like BrickTracks by @coaster can fill this new gap soon. I would love to see a wheel set which comes with metal axle, metal bearings and maybe without the outer decorative stuff so everyone in the world can build his own typically wheels.

My 330 Euro better go in R104 switches for my MOC trains :-)

Holger

7 hours ago, Leewan said:

Disney Train loco

That is an interesting connection for the pilot truck... and a REALLY tricky design to add a full set of rods to...

13 hours ago, Laura Beinbrech said:

My only two (minor) beefs with it are the price (but understandable since it's actually powered) and the fact that unlike the actual WDW railways, it's standard gauge instead of narrow-gauge, but considering that I'm the resident narrow-gauge nut case, I'm probably also the only one here who even noticed or cares about that part, lol.

It is narrow gauge, that is where the eight wide comes from (grin)

It is a neat set and I'm always glad to see Lego produce a train set.

55 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

@Leewan thanks for the extra picture. It's certainly an unusual build from LEGO, and bizarre there's no cab floor by the looks of it. 

55 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

That is an interesting connection for the pilot truck... and a REALLY tricky design to add a full set of rods to...

My thinking is fix the rear "bogie" to the engine, and try a double-hinge setup for the front bogie. It would be necessary to bring the second axle (or should that be non-axle) in front of the cylinder block, which would be fixed to the engine as well. Would definitely change the overall look of the model, and not a simple mod by any means. Hmm. 

Edited by ColletArrow
Can't get rid of that extra quote block on my phone

I’m quite excited with the Disney train despite the negatives (price, new inferior wheels). 

I’ll probably try to buy the train on eBay (not interested in the station) and go about in modifying it to change it from 8 wide to the traditional 6 wide to fit in with my other trains. 

So in fact we can change the Harry Potter train to fit Powered Up aswell, if u look how they did this in this train

25 minutes ago, Dragunov2 said:

So in fact we can change the Harry Potter train to fit Powered Up aswell, if u look how they did this in this train

You can even fit a normal boost motor in the hogwarts express you are space efficient.

Spoiler

dx6qj3s.jpg

fMSCkiw.jpg

NotoGCa.jpg

2 hours ago, Rizwanul said:

I’m quite excited with the Disney train despite the negatives (price, new inferior wheels). 

I’ll probably try to buy the train on eBay (not interested in the station) and go about in modifying it to change it from 8 wide to the traditional 6 wide to fit in with my other trains. 

Hello!

I am thinking in similar terms!

But I am interested in the building, but not in the minifigures and the train.

so that, maybe we could agree a purchase on a Ebay sale.

:laugh:

sorry

Good day!

I am new, but AFOL from many years ago.

A nice Station. I hope for the instructions.

Edited by ArturFer

3 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

@Leewan thanks for the extra picture. It's certainly an unusual build from LEGO, and bizarre there's no cab floor by the looks of it. 

My thinking is fix the rear "bogie" to the engine, and try a double-hinge setup for the front bogie. It would be necessary to bring the second axle (or should that be non-axle) in front of the cylinder block, which would be fixed to the engine as well. Would definitely change the overall look of the model, and not a simple mod by any means. Hmm. 

That is precisely what I did with my "Wasteland Express" locomotive.  The one mistake I made was making one of the pivot points on the double-pivot link for the lead truck a technic pin with friction instead of a smooth technic pin (which I plan on fixing the next time I work on it) and it can handle standard radius LEGO track curves even as a 4-6-0 configuration as opposed to 4-4-0 like this train is.  It can still make it around the turns with the aforementioned friction pin, but it's a bit stiff...

4 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

It's certainly an unusual build from LEGO, and bizarre there's no cab floor by the looks of it. 

There's no cab floor because Mickey's ears require extra height. So you put him on the CMF stand on the "driving bogie" instead. A bit weird, yeah, but necessary.

9 hours ago, Jim said:

I’m sure you can strike a deal with someone who only wants the station :wink: 

That's kind of what I'm thinking.  Maybe split the set with someone in my LUG.  If not, there is always the MOC route.  :laugh: