Giacinto Consiglio

[Modular MOC] Venetian Watchmaker's and Glass Shop

After the Old Pharmacy and the Florentine Steakhouse, the Venetian Watchmaker's and Glass Shop is my third model taking inspiration from Italian traditional architecture. By incorporating late-Gothic (bright red building) and Renaissance style (white building), I wanted to portray the most distinctive shapes one can find in Venice: from the elaborated balustrades to the inverted cone-like chimney, as well as the falling plaster and the usage of coloured marble columns. The building includes a Glass Shop in the white building, a Watchmaker's (ground floor) and a cozy apartment (upper floors) in the red building. Hope you like it!

48518564926_170407f78f_c.jpg

48518585696_6e1a9ab288_c.jpg

48518583906_5e8dd6181b_z.jpg

48518756737_f0d5a755c2_z.jpg

48518560436_10909beba3_z.jpg

Edited by Giacinto Consiglio

I instantly saw the flag awning, what a great use of that piece. I love the floor patterns as well, especially the glass shop. 

So very charming and atmospheric! I like the inventivenes of your interiors and such little whimsical details like the tourist looking in awe at that gorgeous chandelier. Excellent stuff.:classic:

1 hour ago, Littleworlds said:

So very charming and atmospheric! I like the inventivenes of your interiors and such little whimsical details like the tourist looking in awe at that gorgeous chandelier. Excellent stuff.:classic:

Thank you very much. As regards the tourist, that was exactly my intention, plus he's a wealthy American, so he can afford one of those masterpieces:laugh:

Very impressive! I like the juxtaposition of the two contrasting styles and the two different "reds".

The two stores are also very unique and well realised in Lego form.

Good model @Giacinto Consiglio !

I must admit that I was not very surprised with the model at first (I mean, you have a good collection of insanely pretty models), but that doesn't mean I didn't like it. In fact, the corner building on the left is absolutely spot on. Everything about it is at least good, if not brilliant. The lower floor is very pretty and the awning works surprisingly well (a technique I've tried and discarded myself, so cool you've made it work! :classic:). The staircase looks marvellous (I love it when models don't get to the end of the baseplate), it really adds a dynamic feel to the model. I like the arch you added undeneath the stairs (looks nice + part saving!). The red is majestic and looks perfect. I was going to criticise the jumbled up mess of the windows, but the Venetian style can excuse all of my reservations. I really like the windows using the brown 1x4 piece, they really are pretty and feel genuine (using 1x2 jumpers?). And the roof, chimney and dormer... Magnificent! Also, I like the consistency, green doors here and in Casa Bricklló, likin' it! And the clock is very cute using the plant stems in black. And the transition between ground and middle and second and roof (the tan decoration) is superb :wub:. I wonder what piece you're squeezing through the clips and lamp holders. If I had something to criticise about this model it would be the tan section in the middle floor. I think I know what you're going for but for it to fully work I think you should have made it poke a stud or two out.

I have bigger issue with the Renaissance-flavoured design. I feel like the ideas are there... but it just doesn't seem very Renaissance to me; I feel like it looks more like the 20th century architecture one could find to be the place where a bank is. I mean, it's not terrible, definitely better than many models I've seen but it's just a clash with the other superb model. I don't get that "palazzo" feel. And I understand the limitations, you had to make this model go to the very end of the baseplate (two open ends would be bizarre), but... why red? Why not yellow or even blue? Excuse my nitty-grittiness, maybe I'm exaggerating here; it's nonetheless an absolutely brilliant model, but the overall feel it gives could have been better if the two buildings "spoke" with one another more. More dialogue between the buildings could have helped; I feel like they're platered together. Do you know what I mean or is it just me who has been designing a single modular for almost an entire year that I'm starting to not appreciate a great model? :grin:

As usual you managed to find what's wrong with a model of mine. I've recently been to Venice, and I must say Renaissance buildings are the least appealing among gothic jewels. As regards dark red: how can you suggest to use yellow or blue? I have never seen bright yellow or blue marble , maybe I'm wrong again. Probably you don't know Palladio (one of the best known architects in Italian history) used to paint brick made elements (columns, profiles..) with an intense red coating, but a widespread myth about Renaissance buildings tends to depict them as purely white. 

Edited by Giacinto Consiglio

12 hours ago, Giacinto Consiglio said:

As usual you managed to find what's wrong with a model of mine. I've recently been to Venice, and I must say Renaissance buildings are the least appealing among gothic jewels. As regards dark red: how can you suggest to use yellow or blue? I have never seen bright yellow or blue marble , maybe I'm wrong again. Probably you don't know Palladio (one of the best known architects in Italian history) used to paint brick made elements (columns, profiles..) with an intense red coating, but a widespread myth about Renaissance buildings tends to depict them as purely white. 

A little misunderstanding. I didn't mean to just swap the colour of the columns to blue or yellow; I know blue and yellow marble doesn't exist, I meant to change the house entirely to something that maybe works better with the gorgeous red building. I'm quite well informed in Palladio's style (in fact, I have a drawing of La Rotonda in my living room (looking at it right now :grin:)) and know he wouldn't use such colours. Maybe I find things wrong because it's how I am. I'm very critical of my own models! For instance, I don't like how the building on the left of my latest modular (Disco 2000) turned out and I think that the whole model is too tall. You should be proud of your model, nevermind others' comments and even less my opinions.