Finally, I've had enough time to finish this creation and the associated video. It only took 2 years since it's conception, but I've had a lot of breakdowns in between.

There were so many difficult challenges that I had to overcome, that the list would be too long for anyone to read it. Some of the main solutions that I'm proud of are:

1. Using small pneumatic air pumps for the pre chamber. I went through a million iterations of different liftarm and brick arrangements before I finally looked in my pneumatic parts
  2. The knives cutting the net was tough since it had to be low profile while still maintaining travel distance
  3. Having either side of the main chamber interact with the pre chamber in sequence regarding resetting of pneumatic valves was probably my greatest achievement
  4. The independent pneumatic setup was quite a headache to figure out as there are a lot of possible ways to connect hoses and to make sure there is no unwanted air bleeding from the valves
  5. Lastly, the big power puller wheels are not meant to be attached from the outside, causing them to greatly sag and not function well. This was solved using an array of pins and towballs behind the rim

The chambers were the very first thing to be built. I counted the amount of rollers needed from the official blueprints, then made circle cut outs and build a brick cage around the gears. Studded construction is certainly not my speciality which came to show later on in the end during the aestethic finish. This is also where I tried to make sense of highlighted colors for the functions:

• RED for valves
  • YELLOW for key elements
  • DBG to make functions stand out from the chassis
  • GREEN for the net
  • STICKERS for a realistic look - These were all taken from set sheets

I also set a goal to myself of using some of the rarely used parts that comes or used to come in the Bionicle sets. This includes 4x Visorak Torsos (frame), 2x Bohrok Shoulders and 2x connector blocks with 6 axleholes (Wrapping table). Unfortunately I found no use for widely discussed 5x6x2 perpendicular fork with 3 fingers, except on my crude make-shift tractor.

If there's anything you want to know or see, do not hesitate to ask, as I will never take this apart, and I can take as many extra pictures as needed :grin:

JsoI7Qr.jpg

seP4BgP.jpg

iIRDO4Ku.jpg

lsQPkz4.jpg

qCxMU7M.jpg

CE4UBbk.gif

The circuit diagram tool can be found on this website. It has been much valued throughout the whole process.

TupYY8V.jpg

Zz2Nt6m.jpg

Note: This picture is an old WIP, but here you can see the internals

A9hFlxF.jpg

More pictures can be found on my imgur gallery

In the beginning I tested out different parts for the pickup to see which ones best pick up cut dried grass, and the rotor blades proved the best in this test. However, I would not try and actually make a haybale in this machine as there are several flaws:

1. The plastic chain is certainly not meant for any sort of load and snaps if caught on something, which would be stuck rollers and therefore gears because of the hay
  2. There are gaps in the construction - Though I've tried my best to build it tight, hay would definetly get stuck and cause the dropfloor to get stuck
  3. This is LEGO, the tolerances in certain places are incredibly tight and will most likely fail during operation. The construction it self is solid though - I could drop it from standing height and nothing critical on it would break

I hope you enjoyed looking at something different, this has certainly been my nemesis throughout construction, and is now a major milestone in my life.

Edited by Carsten Svendsen

Wow, really stunning build. did you try to couple it with the CLAAS tractor? and are you considering to build instructions..? I would love to rebuild it here with my son too start up the agriculture MOC's..

Now, i fully admit that i'm an agricultural moc lover. But even from a neutral position this moc is staggeringly good. Outstanding. The level of complexity is, i think, greater than any other moc i've seen. 

I'm blown away by this!! Truly mind blowing how the many, many timed events are orchestrated together. I take my hat off to you!!! What an amazing engineering triumph... and achieved in lego!

Extraordinary machine, the video walktrough of each function was insane. Bravo.

This is an amazing build :thumbup: I have sometimes considered building a baler but have always given up fast because I could not find a way to cut features to avoid it getting too complex. It's incredible how you have just taken all features and the full complexity head on and solved it too! I'm gonna watch that video quite a few times :classic:

6 hours ago, mzzl88 said:

Wow, really stunning build. did you try to couple it with the CLAAS tractor? and are you considering to build instructions..? I would love to rebuild it here with my son too start up the agriculture MOC's..

The CLAAS Xerion 5000 pales in size comparison. I was thinking of building a big as tractor for it, but I'm not so sure anymore as it would require a lot of functions and therefore be equally complex.

With the Instructions, I was considering doing at least a 3D model in stud.io, but then I would no doubt have take certain aspects apart, and let me tell you, getting it together wasn't easy. Besides, the amount of parts you would need is insane.

6 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

Now, i fully admit that i'm an agricultural moc lover. But even from a neutral position this moc is staggeringly good. Outstanding. The level of complexity is, i think, greater than any other moc i've seen. 

I'm blown away by this!! Truly mind blowing how the many, many timed events are orchestrated together. I take my hat off to you!!! What an amazing engineering triumph... and achieved in lego!

Thank you very much. I could have chosen to control everything manually as a toy, but somehow I opted for the autonomous approach.

5 hours ago, syclone said:

Extraordinary machine, the video walktrough of each function was insane. Bravo.

Thank you, I wasn't sure if the video was detailed enough to make layman understand what he's actually looking at. I do realise that there are a lot of things going on at the same time sometimes, but pausing is a thing as well.

2 hours ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

This is an amazing build :thumbup: I have sometimes considered building a baler but have always given up fast because I could not find a way to cut features to avoid it getting too complex. It's incredible how you have just taken all features and the full complexity head on and solved it too! I'm gonna watch that video quite a few times :classic:

If you don't challenge yourself you will never succeed. A haybaler is truly complex in nature, so recreating one is no easy feat. This goes for all kinds of them, square or round.

At times I had no idea how to solve a problem and sometimes I looked at akiyoukis GBC's for complex mechanisms. This is how I came up with the net binding delay on the left side of the pre chamber.

I am simply in awe of your build... That is a genius-level of Lego Technic engineering design, my friend. I can't even imagine the time and effort that have been put into this epic baler. You have my deepest respect.

Wow, amazing ! :oh: 

Mechanisms are perfectly reproduced and I find the design good. Mode, the video presentation is well done!

Having watched the video numerous times I can’t get my head around the sheer complexity of what you’ve created. I’m therefore left to conclude that it’s either the work of a genius or witchcraft :wink:

12 hours ago, emielroumen said:

Wow, amazingly complex build!

I agree :wacko:

3 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

I am simply in awe of your build... That is a genius-level of Lego Technic engineering design, my friend. I can't even imagine the time and effort that have been put into this epic baler. You have my deepest respect.

Thank you so much for your kind words :wub:

3 hours ago, mathieulego said:

Wow, amazing ! :oh: 

Mechanisms are perfectly reproduced and I find the design good. More, the video presentation is well done!

Yeah, I'm bit of a perfectionist when it comes to reproducing real mechanisms. I even had to come up with my own mechanical ones as I obviously couldn't put sensors on it like on the real thing

1 hour ago, grum64 said:

Having watched the video numerous times I can’t get my head around the sheer complexity of what you’ve created. I’m therefore left to conclude that it’s either the work of a genius or witchcraft :wink:

Haha, if witchcraft was involved it must have been when I actually decided to go through with it in the beginning. Yeah this build surpasses even me in what I thought was possible.

I tell you what, routing 16 pneumatic hoses straight past the main chain for the pre chamber was a struggle. It never even occured to me how many hoses there would be, or even how much space it would take up!