Sign in to follow this  
ks6349

set unopened for many years, any problems?

for example, will the parts like light bricks deteriorate?

or will the "glow in the dark” part lose its ability to glow in the dark?

1 hour ago, ks6349 said:

for example, will the parts like light bricks deteriorate?

or will the "glow in the dark” part lose its ability to glow in the dark?

Light bricks might need batteries replacing, depending on how old the set is. Glow in the dark will definitely lose its power, however, just hold the piece up to a light source for a minute and it will glow extremely bright

The batteries haven’t been “activated” so they’ll most likely be ok.

but If the entire sets go through extreme heat and cold cycles, year after year, I’d be a little concerned.

42 minutes ago, Boettner Builds said:

Don't they stop working after about 4 years?

3 hours ago, Boettner Builds said:

but If the entire sets go through extreme heat and cold cycles, year after year, I’d be a little concerned.

extreme heat and cold cycle? Winter here could be below 0 degree cel. while summer could be up to 35 degree cel. and if I put the Lego in my car maybe it's 40+ degree cel.

Is it extreme cycle

Old batteries can leak and may corrode the contacts.  That may require some cleaning and battery replacement.

Crumpled sticker sheet/instructions must be high on the list! Depending on the age of the set and how they have been packaged.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:14 PM, ks6349 said:

...will the "glow in the dark” part lose its ability to glow in the dark?

I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I have had the same ghost minifigure as the one shown below in my display collection since 1993 and it still glows just fine. It takes a bit more 'charging' under bright light than the newer, scary shrouded ghost, but still works well. I expect it will still be a glowing ghost when I am one, too! :laugh: 

gen002.png

1 hour ago, AmperZand said:

I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I have had the same ghost minifigure as the one shown below in my display collection since 1993 and it still glows just fine. It takes a bit more 'charging' under bright light than the newer, scary shrouded ghost, but still works well. I expect it will still be a glowing ghost when I am one, too! :laugh: 

gen002.png

This pic brought back a lot of memories of my childhood. Is this ghost retired already?

23 hours ago, ks6349 said:

This pic brought back a lot of memories of my childhood. Is this ghost retired already?

Yes, since 1995, though that shroud remained in production until 2006 as a variant of the minifigure above and, I think, later as a key ring. 

Edited by AmperZand

On 8/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, DeCommander96 said:

Don't they stop working after about 4 years?

The light brick on my Winter Village Toy Shop is still lighting up, and I activated the battery 10 years ago when it first came out.

On 8/11/2019 at 4:43 PM, paul_delahaye said:

Crumpled sticker sheet/instructions must be high on the list! Depending on the age of the set and how they have been packaged.

I had this happen once, though I'm not convinced it happened from either age or being transported several times. I don't often by old sealed sets, but crumpled stickers would be the first thing I'd worry about.

A couple of years ago I opened a 9v 4551 crocodile locomotive I had bought in 1996. The motor would not run for half an hour, then slowly started making short lengths, and finally, it worked perfectly. I suppose the engine had the lubricant congealed until it warmed up from the motor resistance itself.