I've just finished another Alternate Build of set 42056 and this time it's a Japanese Classic from the seventies.

IMG_9236

The 1971 Nissan/Datsun 240Z Fairlady was much lusted after in my youth and they have held their appeal ever since.

IMG_9235

Features are:

Full suspension
Steering connected to adjustable height driver's wheel with 2.7 turns lock to lock
Right hand drive like the original
HOG steering
5 speed and reverse "H" pattern shift gearbox
Detailed inline 6 cyinder engine connected to the back wheels via the gearbox
Opening bonnet and doors with working door latches
Cabin features full leg room, window winders (but no windows) and driver's pedals

50 cm long x 22 cm wide x 16 cm high
1.85 kg
2,071 pieces all sourced from set 42056 but you will need one additional piece to enable reverse gear, the MOC still works without it.

IMG_9240

For more images, details and instructions head over to my MOC page at Rebrickable.

Edited by Pleasedontspammebro

I love this car and had a 1976 260z ....   Can you do a 42093 version of it??...    Great job!!

Edited by sirslayer

44 minutes ago, sirslayer said:

I love this car and had a 1976 260z ....   Can you do a 42093 version of it??...    Great job!!

Thanks Mate.

You had a Z?
I am soo jealous!

Might be fun to do a 42093 version of it but right now I'm thinking about possibilities with the Chiron...

Looks very nice, as a JDM fan this is a real gem :wub:. The fact that it is an alternate build makes it even better. Fantastic model, in fact, IMO even better than the Porsche itself)))

Just bought the instructions. Looks amazing and I’m a big Jap car fan. I’m on my 3rd (a Eunos) having owned an MR2 and a Celica years ago.

it looks like you need a second set of wheelarches to avoid the Porsche vent graphics. Which I bought a while ago.

would be great to make it in Purple and black but I think purple isn’t available in all the parts.

Have you tried any other wheels/tyres on it to get a better fit to the arches?

Edited by Seasider

Amazing model, especially for a B model!

Pls post more pictures, I especially want to see your shifter and transmission design.

Edited by Gray Gear

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

it looks like you need a second set of wheelarches to avoid the Porsche vent graphics.

Looking at the pictures, I can only see four wheel arch panels and the Porsche comes with six of them, two of which have printed on graphics.

19 minutes ago, zoo said:

Looking at the pictures, I can only see four wheel arch panels and the Porsche comes with six of them, two of which have printed on graphics.

I’d forgotten that the front arches are made up of double panels

14 hours ago, syclone said:

Looks very nice, as a JDM fan this is a real gem :wub:. The fact that it is an alternate build makes it even better. Fantastic model, in fact, IMO even better than the Porsche itself)))

Thanks Syclone!

12 hours ago, Seasider said:

Just bought the instructions. Looks amazing and I’m a big Jap car fan. I’m on my 3rd (a Eunos) having owned an MR2 and a Celica years ago.

it looks like you need a second set of wheelarches to avoid the Porsche vent graphics. Which I bought a while ago.

would be great to make it in Purple and black but I think purple isn’t available in all the parts.

Have you tried any other wheels/tyres on it to get a better fit to the arches?

Thanks Mate!

The printed wheel arch issue has been answered already but as to the other points - since this is an alternate build I'm sticking to the parts in the set but now that it's out in the wild it's going to be fun to see what other builders do to make their own modifications.
It's early days yet but keep an eye on the photos section of the MOC page and you'll see what others have done - I reckon first up would probably be to add some JDM style flared guards or change out the wheels as you suggest.

10 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Amazing model, especially for a B model!

Pls post more pictures, I especially want to see your shifter and transmission design.

Thanks for the kind words!
You can see more images on the MOC page here. and you can download the free instructions for the gearbox here

Edited by Pleasedontspammebro

Hello! Love this alternative build, it staggers me the creative skills of some people. I'm just wondering if you were able to recommend any alternative wheels to use, ong with their part numbers. I know that similar questions have been asked before, but I'd like to hear your personal recommendation for options :)