mihao

Is there a way to change one part type to another in Studio?

Hi,

I am working in Studio 2.0, and almost done with my design. But when I do the instruction, I notice that I misuse part 4459(pin with friction with central slot) for part 2780(pin with friction without central slot). So the question is, is there a easy way to replace part of one type to another type in studio?

Thanks.

The way I would do it is to export to LDR format (essentially a text file), load that up in a text editor, use search and replace to search for 4459.dat and replace it with 2780.dat.

Save the file, then import back into Studio.

Yes, that is a good approach. But I have instructions in the file, and it won't survive the export and import.

i noticed that the .io file is actually a zip file which contains a bunch of LTD file, but those files seem to be password protected. Any idea what the password is?

On 8/10/2019 at 4:27 PM, mihao said:

Yes, that is a good approach. But I have instructions in the file, and it won't survive the export and import.

i noticed that the .io file is actually a zip file which contains a bunch of LTD file, but those files seem to be password protected. Any idea what the password is?

Then you are slightly screwed, the password it not known, it is BL's "know-how". I wouldn't bother with this replacement, it is not big deal. There is a workaround if you really insist - replace the .dat files in your ldraw folder, generate instructions or parts list, then return it:

1) Open your ldraw Studio folder (program files\studio 2.0\ldraw\parts)

2) Locate 4459.dat and rename it to 4459.dat.backup

3) locate 2780.dat and rename it to 4459.dat

4) Generate instructions/parts list etc.

5) Rename both files back to original

Just to understand... LDD has a selection tool that allows to select all the bricks of a certain type (and with a specific colour too, if you want).
When I have to mass replace a brick, I use the aforementioned tool, extract all the wrong bricks from the building, place the new bricks over the wrong ones, delete the wrong bricks and at last place all the new bricks inside the model with a single drag (this include some expedients such as place a reference brick for the position, create a group with wrong bricks, etc...) .

Now, if stud.io has a similar tool, the operation should be possible with this software too. So the question is: is there a similar tool in stud.io?

There sort of is: it only works in the current submodel, so you’ll have to do it for each submodel!

And even if you could remove all the parts easily, when you add the replacements, they will all be in the same submodel, AND in the same step!

That would totally screw up the instructions and the model’s structure.  You’ll have to move each of the new parts in the correct step in the correct submodel again.  Gah!

The feature has been asked on the dedicated forum.  Maybe it will come one day….

Now, on the other hand, “remembering” a “forgotten” ZIP file password is not that difficult (can be a bit long).  The public diffusion of the password could be a problem though (maybe not in EU because it’s about interoperability but there’s the stupid DMCA in the USA, and maybe Eurobricks’ “fair play” policies?).

On 8/14/2019 at 2:47 AM, Ivan_M said:

Then you are slightly screwed, the password it not known, it is BL's "know-how". I wouldn't bother with this replacement, it is not big deal. There is a workaround if you really insist - replace the .dat files in your ldraw folder, generate instructions or parts list, then return it:

1) Open your ldraw Studio folder (program files\studio 2.0\ldraw\parts)

2) Locate 4459.dat and rename it to 4459.dat.backup

3) locate 2780.dat and rename it to 4459.dat

4) Generate instructions/parts list etc.

5) Rename both files back to original

I have to say that this solution is very creative. Thanks.

Actually, I got the password from someone in a message. (I guess that it is not proper to post the password here.) and then I can unzip the io file, and replace the wrong part number in a text editor.

1 hour ago, mihao said:

I have to say that this solution is very creative. Thanks.

Actually, I got the password from someone in a message. (I guess that it is not proper to post the password here.) and then I can unzip the io file, and replace the wrong part number in a text editor.

Can you share that with me? I would like to have it for my records. 

https://bricks.stackexchange.com/questions/15917/replace-brick-inplace-in-studio-2-0 Here is a more detailed guide

I have the same issue where I frequently accidentally use two different pieces that are almost identical. Here pieces 3794 and 15573, both 1x2 jumpers, are mostly identical and only differ in the bottom molding. If I want to buy the parts for the model, I need to go through and manually replace similar pieces because some stores may not have both.

Edited by jxu