Hello all, I recently started building GBC modules and wanted to share a few original/semi-original modules.

Split-level Stepper

Spoiler

The split-level is a twist on a conventional stepper: the steps are parallel to the ball flow rather than perpendicular. 

img_0671.jpg

img_0673.jpg

img_0674.jpg

Extensible Tower

Spoiler

This is another stepper with a different twist: the steps go in a spiral rather than in a line. The idea was to make a stepper that could easily be extended to an arbitrary height, and the steps and the stairwell are mostly made of basic bricks.

img_0646.jpg

img_0653.jpg

img_0654.jpg

Not-Scissor Lift

Spoiler

This a a true original as far as I know. It works on the same principles as a scissor lift, but the four-bar linkages are connected in a different way.

img_0656.jpg

img_0667.jpg

img_0660.jpg

Some perhaps fancier ones to come soon!

Bonus: 

A nice batch of GBC modules. I like that they do not require large amounts of components and hence it will be not that difficult to build and test them at home.

20 hours ago, Jonas said:

A nice batch of GBC modules. I like that they do not require large amounts of components and hence it will be not that difficult to build and test them at home.

Thanks! It was definitely on my mind to try to build both unique and minimalist for some of these while I'm building up the parts inventory to do more involved modules. 

Not a GBC fanatic (ehem, yet, ehem) but the tower module seems very nice mechanically speaking and split level stepper is something comletely new for me. Additionally, the use of the often neglected Bionicle parts in the last one is nice :sweet:

Edited by syclone

21 hours ago, syclone said:

Not a GBC fanatic (ehem, yet, ehem) but the tower module seems very nice mechanically speaking and split level stepper is something comletely new for me. Additionally, the use of the often neglected Bionicle parts in the last one is nice :sweet:

Thanks! Was super happy I could use those Bionicle liftarms too :laugh:

On 8/11/2019 at 12:02 AM, coinoperator said:

Not one of the pictures is visible

Hmm, it seems fine to me, so it might be an issue on your end... unless other folks are having the same issue? 

OK when I. click reveal hidden content but what’s the point of hiding them just upload the links from your image storage i.e Flickr etc.

Edited by Doug72

These are wonderful!  The first two have quite a lot in common with Akiyuky modules, but of course there is no shame in that.  The parallel motion linkage in the third one is fantastic!

Edited by aeh5040

These are really nice looking and working modules! Your commentary is also superb!

XG BC

On 8/13/2019 at 2:51 AM, Doug72 said:

OK when I. click reveal hidden content but what’s the point of hiding them just upload the links from your image storage i.e Flickr etc.

Ah, that's just so people with slower connections don't get hammered by trying to load everything at once... sorry if it was confusing!

On 8/13/2019 at 1:01 PM, aeh5040 said:

These are wonderful!  The first two have quite a lot in common with Akiyuky modules, but of course there is no shame in that.  The parallel motion linkage in the third one is fantastic!

Yaaa... I didn't realize he had done some similar things until after I had made the respective modules. Still, I like to think of these as more accessible versions of what Aki's done. I'm a little torn on trying to research or not research other modules before building my own... on one hand I would like to avoid the influence of other designs in my own design, but on the other hand, sometimes the thing you think is original isn't.

22 minutes ago, Commander Wolf said:

Ah, that's just so people with slower connections don't get hammered by trying to load everything at once... sorry if it was confusing!

Yaaa... I didn't realize he had done some similar things until after I had made the respective modules. Still, I like to think of these as more accessible versions of what Aki's done. I'm a little torn on trying to research or not research other modules before building my own... on one hand I would like to avoid the influence of other designs in my own design, but on the other hand, sometimes the thing you think is original isn't.

Any chance of making instructions for these? :)

On 8/19/2019 at 1:31 AM, Maoie86 said:

Any chance of making instructions for these? :)

Ah, sorry for the late reply... I'm probably not going to make instructions unless people are willing to buy them, but I can send you (or anyone else interested) close-to-final LDD files if you want. DM me.

Edited by Commander Wolf

Back with another GBC module: this is inspired by a KNEX set called the "Clockwork Rollercoaster", though there's nothing really "clockwork" about that set or this GBC:

img_0694.jpg

img_0695.jpg

img_0698.jpg

img_0697.jpg

Again, I'm not making instructions at the moment, especially when this uses a handful of old parts, but I can provide an LDD file for folks who want to play with it. 

I saw this video on YouTube a few days ago but did not realize that it was your channel. Very nice work! It's a cool module that had a lot of work go into it. I really like including the design process in the videos. Keep up the great work!

19 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Oh, I saw the Auto Dozer in person a few months ago! Very clever design!

Thanks! Are you in BayLUG? :oh: