On 8/8/2019 at 4:21 PM, Ankoku said:

You did, but the album pulls them together into a single place I can link to.

Here is the correct link to my album for modifications for "The Sun" module:-

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmG6ayfe

Edited by Doug72

Ball Loading- Anti Jamming Modification # 2

As mentioned in the instruction notes, the balls can sometimes get jammed at the loading gate and get ejected at high speed from the module.
This can also upset the timing. The sharp corner as shown below is the cause.

48605565622_6c559bbd4f_z.jpg

Modification:-

Remove the studded bricks (outlined in purple) and replace by stack of 3 x 5L beams.

Beam A is pressed onto the base plate and 3 x 3/4 DBG pins inserted.

Beam B place over the 3/4 pins and 2 x black pins inserted into the other pin holes

Beam C added.

The round corner pushes any extra ball back up the ramp as the ball loading unit moves three balls onto the ball carrier.

48605505557_de18bc8b50_z.jpg

Since making this mod I have not had any jams on this module.

Edited by Doug72

On 8/8/2019 at 6:32 PM, Jonas said:

This is a really well thought GBC module and in my experience it is fairly reliable. Thank you, PG52, for this nice piece of engineering! And thank you, Ankoku, for your service to community.

I have built my version according to PG52's video (and his Brickshelf gallery) while taking also some ideas from Dunes' version (Black star). I had to improvize as I wanted to avoid BL purchases, so my version may look a bit strange in some details. Anyway it runs well. Recently, I tested it in a loop with some Akiyuki's modules.  Here is video.

Did you also replace the wheels/tires inside with the white gears with clutch? :)

On 8/8/2019 at 7:13 PM, Doug72 said:

they run smoother than 24T gears and also look good as eyes.

I used the rubber tire solution which also smooth, but may change to 24T white gears as they look quite effective as eyes.

Noticed that the lower pair of “support” gears don’ actually engage with the gear rings, so are they needed ?

have you changed the tires to 24t white gears? :D how is it?

6 hours ago, Maoie86 said:

Did you also replace the wheels/tires inside with the white gears with clutch? :)

have you changed the tires to 24t white gears? :D how is it?

No I have kept the 8 rubbers tires as my build runs very smoothly without any jams etc.
Biggest problem is where to store it !!!

Just now, Doug72 said:

No I have kept the 8 rubbers tires as my build runs very smoothly without any jams etc.
Biggest problem is where to store it !!!

thanks. my problem is i dont have those tires/wheels.  was hoping i could use 24t white gears instead. :)

On 9/4/2019 at 8:25 AM, Maoie86 said:

thanks. my problem is i dont have those tires/wheels.  was hoping i could use 24t white gears instead. :)

White 24T gears will work OK.

Edited by Doug72

On 9/4/2019 at 4:36 PM, Doug72 said:

White 24T gears will work OK.

It doesn't work. The 24T white gear is hitting the horizontal 11m beam. 

4 hours ago, Maoie86 said:

It doesn't work. The 24T white gear is hitting the horizontal 11m beam. 

Oh Dear, in that case a 24T gear would also foul the 11L horizontal beam.

Just checked my build and clearence is very tight even with the rubber tire but able to work OK.

The hub with tire has a slightly smaller diameter and will slide through the middle of a 5 x 7 frame , where as 24T gears don’t.

Suggest replace the two rear white 24T gears with four LEGO Wedge Belt Wheel (2786 / 4185) which have same diameter as rubber tire wheels.

48691742303_d688f0fc28_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

P_20190908_061025_1.thumb.jpg.929bebdb56a10fd8b21b09ee14ac04bd.jpg

14 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Oh Dear, in that case a 24T gear would also foul the 11L horizontal beam.

Just checked my build and clearence is very tight even with the rubber tire but able to work OK.

The hub with tire has a slightly smaller diameter and will slide through the middle of a 5 x 7 frame , where as 24T gears don’t.

Suggest replace the two rear white 24T gears with four LEGO Wedge Belt Wheel (2786 / 4185) which have same diameter as rubber tire wheels.

48691742303_d688f0fc28_z.jpg

Thanks.  I still used the 24T white gears but moved the beams instead. :)

Edited by Maoie86

it is insane. saw it 1st last thursday and Im still amazed. and the size. 195cm high.

6 hours ago, Ankoku said:

Nice idea with the ribbed piping!

Agree and I like the modified ball gondoliers.

I see you have used white clutch gears - any trouble with the pair of rear 24T gears catching on the frame ?

The weather in the UK is terrible at the moment but where's the SUN ?

Edited by Doug72

12 hours ago, Doug72 said:

I see you have used white clutch gears - any trouble with the pair of rear 24T gears catching on the frame ?

im sorry but this isnt my build as i havent built it at all, i just found it and thought i would share it here, can you show me what part the gears catch on please?

Must be one of the 2 people who downloaded from Russia.

Instead of going with photos, I should probably just link people's YouTube vids of their creations.

I find it fascinating how people replace certain parts. e.g. the builder has used a number of interesting substitute parts for the cradles.

Glad he put my link in the description!

Great find @9v system and your posting of it here is very welcome.

I've had my first instance of hot linking. Not entirely surprised to find that it was China.

It was linked to via:
bd.pan.baidu.com/v1/od/queryrapidinfo?type=0&appid=offlinedl&scode=offlinedownload&source_url=http%3A%2F%2Fkanatta.com%2FGBC%2FTheSun%2Fdownload.asp

Will be interesting to see if it occurs again, or they realise that hot linking isn't going to be a thing.

I challenged my son to build this for Brickvention in January... hopefully it will work well... will need to work out the input system, of course!

There are a number of versions out there with GBC even input/output going on. To be honest, it is a very simple conversion.

You may want to look into @Doug72's hopper mod, to stop ball jams. You will also need to either reinforce or change curve at the top of the run. Using the original rubber bars will cause it issues over time at an event. Which you can do without.

On 10/1/2019 at 4:30 PM, Doug72 said:

What part did he use as floor of the gondoliers?

I have seen people go for  62531 - Technic, Panel Curved 11 x 3 with 2 Pin Holes through Panel Surface as a cheaper alternative.