The Sun is a GBC module created by @PG52

The video of it in action is here:

With his help, regarding additional images, I have created some PDF Instructions for it.

The PDF file and Parts lists can be found here:

http://kanatta.com/GBC/TheSun/

If you want to link to the instructions etc., please just link to that page, as it contains mods, additional images, credits etc.

The parts list isn't included in the PDF as Stud.IO isn't very flexible with that sort of thing.

The digital file is not currently available.

Known issues:

I can jam and doesn't have a clutch system to deal with that.

It is also a self feeding module. @dunes is currently working on a GBC circuit friendly version.

In the instructions, there is a mod to replace the curve at the bottom of the top ramp. This is to remove the twist the flexible hoses cause which pushes the top ramp into the wheel.

Notes:

For the most part I have used commonly available pieces in regards to certain axle/pin colours. Where this isn't the case, it was done for specific aesthetic reasons and you can of course use the more commonly available colours. I think I mainly just did this for "The Sun" sign.

Thanks to:

@PG52 for creating the module in the first place and for the additional images.

@Doug72 for helping to test the instructions.

Additional:

I have also added a mod for the Cardan Lift and will be doing instructions for Akiyuki's Cup-to-Cup v1.1, which is the version he is currently running, rather than the one which got reverse engineered close to the time he created the module.

These are and will be available here:

http://kanatta.com/GBC/

Enjoy.

@Ankoku asked me to test build this module following  his instructions which once I Had all the parts took me about 4 Days.

it was then tested and following a few problems I made several modifications. I will list these here and post more detailed info later as at the moment my main computer is down and has to go for repair so I cannot access my photos etc

I am using my wife iPad at the moment !

Modifications,

Crank arm mod to operate the stepper mechanism as per @Ankoku advice in his post BUT it requires a 10L axle with two half bushes to replace the 8L axle with stop to prevent axial movement of the axle. I.e 10L axle with stop.

Anti jam mod to prevent balls jamming at the loading point as per Ankoku advice, since my mod done I have not had a any jams

Improved pillar for tripping the loading arm to release balls into the ball cars, original flexed too much.

Improve supports for top ramp to prevent twisting / extra ball retarders / 180 Degs turn using three 11L flexible axles.

Turns at ends of other ramps made from Technic parts only.

Added an 11L beam to prevent the 36T double gear shifting on the axle once timing has been correctly set, this stops the 36 & 12T gears skipping causing the timing to get out of sync.

Once my computer is fixed I will post images and parts required for the various mods.

Edited by Doug72

Thank you everyone involved for your tremendous effort. The module looks absolutely awesome and I happen to have all the required parts. I'm really looking forward to see the mods made by @Doug72.

iiMac Computer booked into Apple store tomorrow for repair.

1 hour ago, domleg said:

Thank you everyone involved for your tremendous effort. The module looks absolutely awesome and I happen to have all the required parts. I'm really looking forward to see the mods made by @Doug72.

My build can be seen in the galley images on the link to the instructions, you should be able to see some of the mods.

This is a really well thought GBC module and in my experience it is fairly reliable. Thank you, PG52, for this nice piece of engineering! And thank you, Ankoku, for your service to community.

I have built my version according to PG52's video (and his Brickshelf gallery) while taking also some ideas from Dunes' version (Black star). I had to improvize as I wanted to avoid BL purchases, so my version may look a bit strange in some details. Anyway it runs well. Recently, I tested it in a loop with some Akiyuki's modules.  Here is video.

@Jonas, nice set up with train gbc and other gbc modules.

Are the white 24T gears there for “protection” or just to look like eyes .

6 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Are the white 24T gears there for “protection” or just to look like eyes. 

The primary reason why I used them was that I had had a shortage of standard 24T gears and these seemed to do the same job. Later I realized that they look interesting.

19 minutes ago, Jonas said:

The primary reason why I used them was that I had had a shortage of standard 24T gears and these seemed to do the same job. Later I realized that they look interesting.

they run smoother than 24T gears and also look good as eyes.

I used the rubber tire solution which also smooth, but may change to 24T white gears as they look quite effective as eyes.

Noticed that the lower pair of “support” gears don’ actually engage with the gear rings, so are they needed ?

Edited by Doug72

1 hour ago, Doug72 said:

Noticed that the lower pair of “support” gears don’ actually engage with the gear rings, so are they needed ?

Seems so. I had to build with limited supply so I omitted some parts here and there. The rotating part is carried by 2 pairs of 24 t gears, 1 pair in front, the other in back.

Just now, Ankoku said:

@Doug72 Under the modification section, I will add a link to your Flickr. Do your Sun Mods sit in an album on there?

No, they are in the photostream section, I can,t access them until I get computer repaired.

23 minutes ago, Ankoku said:

No worries. Give me a shout when you do!

I think I sent you some Flickr links in an email earlier, but not sure if they worked.

I had added numbers on  some photos showing where each mod is. That was before computer failed, hopefully they are still there.

Edited by Doug72

1 minute ago, Ankoku said:

You did, but the album pulls them together into a single place I can link to.

Ok, when I am up and running again I will do that.

Doug

Edited by Doug72

Following a request from Ankoku to test build the Sun GBC following his instructions I built this in about 4 days.
See video of completed module.

Due lack of system parts I made some changes and after testing some modifications as shown & indexed in the image below :-

These mods can be seen in the video or photos

1/. Improved upright to trip ball loading arm.

2/. Modification to prevent 4th ball trying to enter & jamming. Not had any jams since making this mod.

3/. Extra ball retarders on the top ramp to slow balls down before 180 deg turn.

4/. 180 deg turn at bottom of top ramp made using 3 x 11L flexible axles.

5/ Other ramp turns made from technic parts.

6/. 11L beam added to prevent 36T double bevel gear skipping with the 12T double bevel gear once timing has been set.

7/. Support for top ramp improved.

8/. Addition support added for 180 deg bend to prevent top ramp twisting when using flexible axles.

48518967797_cef5510349_c.jpg

48526548216_7e3e4a6620_z.jpg

7/.  Improved support for top ramp.

48526659646_b5de507874_z.jpg

8/. Additional support to prevent ramp twisting when using flexible axles for the 180 deg. turn.

48526659616_6acf04ab88_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

OThe Sun:- Mod no. 5 by Doug72        Ramp Turns using Technic parts.

48550355522_4d1dee8342_z.jpg

The yellow 4 x 2 slope is only required if balls tend to bunch up at the turns and is attached to the blue pin with studs in the red cross blocks.

N.B.  Orange 3L pins with bush X 4.

Edited by Doug72

Good day!

In page 152 of the instructions, where you talk about the synchronization details, you can see a rubber band in the pic.  It doesnt seem to be in the instruction steps. :)

7 hours ago, Maoie86 said:

Good day!

In page 152 of the instructions, where you talk about the synchronization details, you can see a rubber band in the pic.  It doesnt seem to be in the instruction steps. :)

I think Its due to the limitations of  Stud.IO which is difficult to show flexible  or bendy things.

Edited by Doug72

Warning:-
if you have the ratchet mechanism installed 
make sure the drive rotates the correct way.

if it is wrong then the ferris wheel jams and the timing will get out of sync.

Even though I had the 11L beam in place to keep the 36T double bevel gear in postion,  it still skipped on the 12T double bevel gear.

This means re-timing the drive. I learnt the hard way !!!!

Edited by Doug72

8 hours ago, Ankoku said:

Photo of the elastic band is the last page in the instructions! @Maoie86

i noticed but its not in the initial steps.. was wondering why. doug72 told me its because stud.io cant render bendy things.

He is correct in the sense that you can't even at the elastic bands as items in the inventory. As far as I can tell, they just aren't there.

You can't render them, so I couldn't add it as a usual step in the instructions. That is the thing Doug mentions.

I could have added the photo somewhere in the middle of the instructions, but since it isn't important to syncing, it seemed easier to add it at the end, as it is pretty much the last thing you need to add on.