Sign in to follow this  
Pdaitabird

BR No. 74656 "Lord Dudley"

I'd like to present my latest locomotive, loosely based on various British 0-6-0 goods engines.  This MOC is a first for me in several ways...it's the first locomotive for which I've attempted to print decals, and the first I've built using BBB wheels.  I'd like to thank @ScotNick for graciously granting me permission to use his magnifying glass technique for the front cab windows.  Lord Dudley is named after a 15th century politician and its number is an homage to the USS Voyager (NCC-74656).

48477086972_a395a2d6ff_c.jpgLord-Dudley-1 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

48476937861_f1ac6881b9_c.jpgLord-Dudley-2 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

The 3-axle tender holds a 9V motor (the third axle swivels to go around curves) and features the classic BR "lion-on-a-unicycle."  I don't have a proper label maker, so I printed out the decal on regular paper and covered it with a slightly larger piece of adhesive laminating sheet.  This leaves enough overhang of the adhesive layer to stick to the sides of the tender.  Note that only the logo and the red lining are printed; the white lining is brick-built.

48477084572_ce74ef33a2_c.jpgLord-Dudley-3 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

The tender holds a battery box to power the locomotive lights.  The batteries are accessible by removing the coal.

48477083647_f80d081608_c.jpgLord-Dudley-4 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

48477082607_93242c9c20_c.jpgLord-Dudley-5 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

Finally, Lord Dudley's driver and fireman pose along the line by their engine:

48477081457_df7453c7d3_c.jpgLord-Dudley-6 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

48476932056_564a02035f_c.jpgLord-Dudley-7 by the chestertonian, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Soli Deo Gloria

Nice. I just did a coal load up like that it's a really good look.

6 hours ago, SD100 said:

Nice. I just did a coal load up like that it's a really good look.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, CaL said:

If you are looking for more british prototypes I can recommend you the YouTube Channel of Chris Eden-Green.

Yes, I've learned a lot from his "Steam Locos in Profile."

2 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Very nice creation! It really has a British feeling!!! I especially like the way you made the boiler. :thumbup::laugh:

Thank you, the boiler is based on one of the many techniques in this topic. I may be wrong, but I think @SavaTheAggie first developed what has now become the standard for cheese slope boilers.

3 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Besides the battery my favorite part is the round windows with the magnifying glass

Thanks! As I mentioned, the front window design belongs to @ScotNick. I would highly recommend checking out his Flickr page for inspiration.

18 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Sleek design and interesting solution for the front windows of the locomotive :wub:

Just one question: why is there a leg in the grass? *oh2*:grin:

That'll teach 'em to hire non-union platelayers! :devil_laugh: (It's actually supposed to be part of the rock.) 

On August 8, 2019 at 1:42 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Great work!

Thank you!

I've just completed a coach so Lord Dudley won't have to run alone. The local Lego store had an entire PAB bin full of lbg inverted curved slopes. My initial idea was to use them for a coach roof, if I could figure out how to attach them upside-down. Well, I couldn't. So I just built the entire coach body upside-down instead!

imageimageimageimage

Lastly, here's a short clip of Lord Dudley running through the station.

Thanks for looking - comments and criticism welcome!

Soli Deo Gloria

6 minutes ago, Pdaitabird said:

Well, I couldn't. So I just built the entire coach body upside-down instead

The u clip hinge with the bar hinge upside down .... 

Do love the entire car being upside down though you wouldnt know unless you look closer lol

Sorry to bump such an old topic, but I've completely redesigned Lord Dudley. Things I've changed from the original model:

-Frame is now 7-wide to allow splashers to cover wheel flanges

-Boiler now uses 4x4 round bricks and plates, with cheese slopes retained for the smokebox

-Tender is lower with a grill tile railing

-Wheelbase is longer for less overhang on curves.

0-6-0 Locomotive 0-6-0 Locomotive0-6-0 Locomotive

It's still something of a work in progress....the locomotive is unlit for now as I will have to rework the lights and battery box to fit in a tighter space.Thanks for looking - comments and criticism welcome!

Soli Deo Gloria

Edited by Pdaitabird