Murdoch17

Mad Scientist Mansion - with 1920's blue roadster, and time machine - steampunk real world MOCs

This story is set in my Adventures / Monster fighters / Pharaoh's Quest Universe of the early 1920's.

(First off, I want to apologize for these photos: I didn't have an area big enough to handle the four story tall building, so I improvised. It doesn't look very pretty, but it's passable.)

I was inspired to create this model from the 2018 Jurassic World set 75930, Indoraptor Rampage at Lockwood Estate, with some design cues from set 10228, Haunted House. I made the mansion to replace this other MOC I had made, but don't worry, the other building still exists, it's just empty right now.

The Wormwood Estate

48475323257_bd53811420_z.jpg

The dollhouse-style model was built from the set pictures, with the play features removed and opening rear sections added to match the front half. The model also features a round window for letting in moon light in on the mad doctor's experiments, along with lightning rods on top of the house. (for powering his experiments)

48475178041_2aa50b364b_z.jpg

The rear of the mansion features a back door (perfect for escapes when the locals get feisty about the scientist playing with time travel again!) and the chimney flue.

48475178066_81c451d795_z.jpg

The bottom floor features the living room and dining rooms, while the second floor is the bedroom, study and pipe organ rooms. The third floor features the laboratory for the study of time travel.

48475178116_661fb95b2c_z.jpg

The rear door to the outside is in this section, while the safe containing the house's title and family paper work is directly above on the second level. This area also has stairs from first to second floors.

48475322607_c366ff86e9_z.jpg

The left rear quarter features the fireplace and telephone on the first floor and a bed for the second floor's master bedroom. The stairs to the third floor are also on this side.

The Wormwood Family Automobile

48510757211_c2b53b4a26_z.jpg

The stylish car is heavily modified version of Brick-Link set BL19011 (Vintage Roadster) turned blue. The car model is about 10 studs wide (with a large overhang on each side due to the white fenders on front and rear) and is 36 studs long, front bumper to rear bumper.

48510757301_52e7cb9aa4_z.jpg

The car can now seat two mini-figure's in the seating area, and as before feature removable engine cowling sections for a look at the V8 heart of the car.

48510939682_6b99a66e29_z.jpg

The headlights are now secured more tightly, and the front windscreen glass is now trans-black and not inclined anymore. (it was bugging the heck out of me that it wouldn't stay in place!)

48510757386_834e486e9b_z.jpg

The taillights were moved down onto the rear bumper. No real reason for the change, it just seemed like a good idea.

The Time Machine Vehicle (TMV)

40325267153_506afdab60_z.jpg

Here is the Scientist's 1920's-period time machine, rebuilt from set 76109 (Quantum Realm Explorers).

40325267533_82f3874d25_z.jpg

I fixed the rotating side engines of the original Marvel superheroes set, as these objects are now (mostly) locked in the position shown.

The Time Travelers' Family, Friends & Foes

51001143331_def60404df_c.jpg

In order from Left to Right:

Mr. Harold Sutton: wealthy financial backer of Dr. Wormwood's experiments with time travel. Secretly wishes to have full control over the project for it's use by an unknown, Sinister third party.

Mrs. Evelyn Sutton: sister of Dr. Wormwood (whom she despises) and step-mother of Gracie Sutton. Married to Mr. Sutton, who shares in her secret hatred of Dr. Wormwood.

Grandad Joseph Wormwood: Father of Dr. Wormwood and Evelyn Sutton, and grandfather of Billy. His wife is deceased and he is living with Nancy, Billy, and the Doctor in Wormwood Manor.

Gracie Sutton: Stepdaughter of Evelyn, and daughter of Harold Sutton & a complete sociopath. She enjoys tormenting people for pleasure, including younger cousin Billy Wormwood.

Billy Wormwood: son of Nancy Wormwood and the good Doctor. Secretly tormented by cousin Gracie, he tries to find an escape from his predicament in any way.

Nancy Wormwood: mother of Billy, and is concerned by Gracie's "play dates" with her son. After spying on Gracie Sutton tormenting Billy, she forbids her from seeing him, which puts the Doctor's financial backing at risk as payback by the Sutton family.

"X": The mysterious masked man (woman?) who kidnaps Billy in 1922 with his time travel equipment. This person is also showed up on the Wormwood's estate lawn many years ago, resulting in Dr. Wormwood's fascination with time travel.

Mrs. Katie Johnson: Town busybody and local telephone operator, who keeps an ear to private conversations for her own gain. Wife of Officer Pete Johnson, who (usually) keeps her in line.

Officer Pete Johnson: Member of Scotland Yard and lives near Sutton Estate & Wormwood Manor. Is keen to know just what's going on when Billy get's kidnapped by "X" and Dr. Wormwood goes off to find him in time and space.

NOT PICTURED:

Dr. William Wormwood: The brains behind the brand-new invention of the time machine vehicle (or TMV, for short) and rebuilder of the giant mechanoid the Brass Automaton. Father of Billy, husband of Nancy, and financial backing recipient of the Sutton family, as his fortune was wiped out in his previous attempts at travel through time.

The end of the Story?

More may come later, I'm not quite sure on what steampunk thing to build after the robot, which now has his own thread.

As usual, comments, questions and comments are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

On 8/7/2019 at 3:39 AM, kiwinewt said:

I love it. I expect a time machine to be sitting in the conservatory too... ;)

Thank you! I've got the time machine near the bottom of the post already, maybe you didn't notice it?

48510939682_6b99a66e29_z.jpg

Anyway, the scientist's car has been updated into a blue version of the Vintage Roadster from Brick-Link, of which you can see more pictures in the first post above. (...and yes, I need to update the first house picture to not include the old car model!)

Nice work. 75930 really lends itself to being citified (is that a word?) Nevertheless it looks great. I only feel that the space between the front door and the balcony is a bit blend. Perhaps you could make a recessed wall like the original set had and you put windows.

And that roadster look amazing albeit a little bit on the big side. But then again, it is a MAD scientist.

Long before the Iron Giant began hurtling towards Rockwell, there was a prototype model, which landed on Earth close to 64 years earlier than the Iron Giant's 1957 landing. They were very similar robots, made by an Ancient race of beings that wanted to gather as much information about the Universe as possible. They first created this prototype model which was made mostly of brass, copper, and iron, but was powered by a highly advanced Fusion reactor that was powered by metals the robot consumed, usually uninhabited asteroids floating through space. Unlike the Iron Giant, this prototype was not able to re-assemble itself as it had a error in it's programming.

In the year 1893, the then un-named Brass Automaton landed in the Pacific Ocean near the long-forgotten Dino Island. It created a tsunami and unhinged the island from the Earth's crust and as such the land began to slowly sink. The robot was first sighted by nearby Australian military sailors, who upon seeing the giant being arise from the water, tried to describe the being the best way they could through their wireless telegraph: they named it the Brass Automaton. Johnny Thunder and his Adventurers crew would later go looking for this great metal being after saving as many dinosaurs as possible from the sinking primeval island in 1923, but never saw it, as it was hiding in South American coastline to gather information on the dominant beings of Earth, also known as Humans.

50249866027_4320459a12_z.jpg

After staying relatively hidden in various secluded ocean floor places around the globe for around thirty years, the Brass Automaton was finished reading the minds off people for information on humans as a species: Our past, our present as of 1924, our origin (as it was then known), and our many languages, along with defenses, politics, and technology. After gathering all that intelligence, the Brass Automaton headed to the North Pole along the sea floor to transmit the required information to it's home planet using a faster-than-light sub-dimensional beacon. (Basically, a fancy radio) That is just about when a major solar storm hit the Earth, with the radiation hitting the atmosphere of the Earth and scrambling the outgoing signal into nonsense.

Now the garbled signal was received by the home base, and as a precaution, the Iron Giant version of the Brass Automaton was dispatched as fast as possible to earth. (That would take it nearly 35 years for it to get there at all possible speed, which would require it to refuel once arriving on Earth, which is why the Iron Giant was at the power plant at the beginning of the movie, whereupon it's memory was scrambled by the high-voltage electricity.)

50249785257_6712b314f5_z.jpg

After sending the garbled message and being struck by a passing icebreaker-ship on his trip southwards, the Brass Automaton was temporarily incapacitated. It was then discovered washed ashore at the southern tip of Greenland by Dr. Harold Wormwood and brought back in pieces to his stately laboratory / mansion in  Legorado, Colorado, where he ran test after test on the alien visitor. By 1926, the mad scientist-type Doctor Wormwood had the resembled robot nearly reassembled, and was preparing to restart it when a Lord Sam Sinister came upon rumors of the robot and wanted it for his own nefarious desires, with Johnny Thunder close on his heels...

On 9/12/2020 at 6:24 AM, Samus Aran said:

A Irom Giant from outer space, so it can't be steam-powered.

Sorry for the late response @Samus Aran, but I think story wise, the giant's original power core was damaged in some way by the icebreaker ship, and the scientist who found it then worked out a way to power the bot using an very advanced steam-powered generators.

50998051956_384e9c08c1_z.jpg

The Brass Automaton is gazing at the sleeks lines of his about-to-be-lunch (actually a early '20's Duesenberg automobile owned by the scientist) hopefully with the owner not in the car!

(Hopefully, I can finish this robot soon... the parts will come from my Classic Space robot, as it is broken beyond my ability to fix it.)

Tiny update: The family, foes and friends of the Time Traveler has been added to the first post.... or you can see it below.

51001143331_def60404df_c.jpg

This story is set in my Adventures / Monster fighters / Pharaoh's Quest Universe of the early 1920's.

In order from Left to Right:

Mr. Harold Sutton: wealthy financial backer of Dr. Wormwood's experiments with time travel. Secretly wishes to have full control over the project for it's use by an unknown, Sinister third party.

Mrs. Evelyn Sutton: sister of Dr. Wormwood (whom she despises) and step-mother of Gracie Sutton. Married to Mr. Sutton, who shares in her secret hatred of Dr. Wormwood.

Grandad Joseph Wormwood: Father of Dr. Wormwood and Evelyn Sutton, and grandfather of Billy. His wife is deceased and he is living with Nancy, Billy, and the Doctor in Wormwood Manor.

Gracie Sutton: Stepdaughter of Evelyn, and daughter of Harold Sutton & a complete sociopath. She enjoys tormenting people for pleasure, including younger cousin Billy Wormwood.

Billy Wormwood: son of Nancy Wormwood and the good Doctor. Secretly tormented by cousin Gracie, he tries to find an escape from his predicament in any way.

Nancy Wormwood: mother of Billy, and is concerned by Gracie's "play dates" with her son. After spying on Gracie Sutton tormenting Billy, she forbids her from seeing him, which puts the Doctor's financial backing at risk as payback by the Sutton family.

"X": The mysterious masked man (woman?) who kidnaps Billy in 1922 with his time travel equipment. This person is also showed up on the Wormwood's estate lawn many years ago, resulting in Dr. Wormwood's fascination with time travel.

Mrs. Katie Johnson: Town busybody and local telephone operator, who keeps an ear to private conversations for her own gain. Wife of Officer Pete Johnson, who (usually) keeps her in line.

Officer Pete Johnson: Member of Scotland Yard and lives near Sutton Estate & Wormwood Manor. Is keen to know just what's going on when Billy get's kidnapped by "X" and Dr. Wormwood goes off to find him in time and space.

NOT PICTURED:

Dr. William Wormwood: The brains behind the brand-new invention of the time machine vehicle (or TMV, for short) and rebuilder of the giant mechanoid the Brass Automaton. Father of Billy, husband of Nancy, and financial backing recipient of the Sutton family, as his fortune was wiped out in his previous attempts at travel through time.

Edited by Murdoch17