The Neighborhood Merchant

[MOC] Snow-Rigged Merchant Brig "Boreas's Haul"

Boreas's Haul

Hi everyone! Long time viewer, but I just joined recently. Thought I'd share one of my first ships I've made with you guys and get some input from the masters :classic:! I've always felt bad to know that poor little merchant guy (he deserves a name) was on his same tiny little merchant ship for a whole 27 years, so I decided to build him his own regal trading fleet. Even though his little plastic face still shows the same expression, I know deep down his smile is a little wider now. Anyhow, here are some some pictures of the ship:

48463415906_56b6a1eb38_c.jpgIMG_2779 by Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

48463637252_5e5098edaa_c.jpgIMG_2799 by Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

48463474466_d864265ab4_c.jpgIMG_2805 by Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

48463635922_6e1a1e226e_c.jpgIMG_2807 by Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

48463475791_c06f61f103_c.jpgIMG_2787 by Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

48463635247_a0433075ab_c.jpgIMG_2813 by Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

48463472781_ec44b54fc1_c.jpgIMG_2816 by Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

He probably should think of investing in to cannons, but lets just say he was too greedy to get any (truth is that I forgot to build them). Also, I've always been a huge fan of modular sets so I also included a full interior:

48463472251_a98bc3fed5_c.jpgIMG_2817 by Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

48463633532_0336b0c7b4_c.jpgIMG_2820 by Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

For the hammocks, I used the ones used in set 60153-1, and I highly recommend them for pirate builds. When at the proper width, they fit minifigures in so well that you can move the entire ship several times and they wont fall off.

48463476891_c512493696_h.jpgCOMBINED by Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

I have an obsession with the old 2 x 3 printed books and old castle shields (anyone else?) so I tried to incorporate them in to my Captain's Quarters. Do you guys think they fit or should I remove them?

48463632012_8ec5e3435c_c.jpgIMG_2829 by Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

The line for the top of the ship is connected to the bow and stern and held up on the top with two clips, so even though it looks like a pain to get inside it only takes a few seconds by just lifting the line off the two clips. Here's the crew and the rest of the "fleet":

48463469781_4d1cc3f2fb_c.jpgIMG_2832 by Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

48463477581_ae86be9820_c.jpgIMG_2836 by Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

If anyone wants to know, I designed the sails using photoshop and I made the sails using printable A4 pre-treated canvas paper, and then just doubled them. Anyhow, thank you so much for stopping by, and have a wonderful day!

Also, to all of you are wondering, don't worry about the old merchant ship! I put Fraunces in charge of it and it seems that he is enjoying his time on it :pir_laugh2:.

48464636766_afefcb4e98_z.jpgIMG_2837 by Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

Edited by The Neighborhood Merchant

Very nice indeed and just when  I was looking for a MOC to post to the Classic Pirates social media. :thumbup:

8 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Very nice indeed and just when  I was looking for a MOC to post to the Classic Pirates social media. :thumbup:

Awesome! I've always loved checking in on the social media pages, so I'm so honored!:pir_laugh2:

6 hours ago, pantelis said:

Wowww... This is for real a Moc creation.. I like this creation and the story behind it..super!!! 

Thank you so much for the kind words! Looking forward to seeing your next moc!

6 hours ago, Thedarkmaster2 said:

I like the really small boat, it looks kinda adorable

Yeah, I love the way it turned out! I've always liked the little ship from the Forbidden Island set so I figured it'd be a nice tribute.

4 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Awesome! I've always loved checking in on the social media pages, so I'm so honored!:pir_laugh2:

Wait, what!  Someone who actually views the Classic Pirates social media? :pir-oh:

If you feel inclined to answer that question, please do so in the Classic-Pirates.com Social Media Strategy - Which Social Platforms Do You Use? topic so we can keep this topic focused on your excellent MOC!

I'm kinda meh on the hull itself (it looks [to me] like the main deck needs to be a couple of bricks lower), but your interiors are on point!  Lots of small details and clever addons that really give it character and make it a nice build.  Well done!

1 hour ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

I'm kinda meh on the hull itself (it looks [to me] like the main deck needs to be a couple of bricks lower), but your interiors are on point!  Lots of small details and clever addons that really give it character and make it a nice build.  Well done!

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the constructive criticism and I'll try to improve the height of any future ship I'll make. I really wanted to use the circle plates for the sides of the ship, but by doing so I removed a lot of possible curves. Do you think that it is a worthy trade, or should I focus more on angles and curves then on hull decorations? If you have anymore feedback on how to improve the hull, feel free to let me know. Thanks again!

33 minutes ago, The APhOL said:

That's awesome, i love the interior so much!

Just a question, why did you built the hatch in black?

Glad you like it! If you're referring to the top hatch that was made using the headlight bricks, then I did it in black because that seems to be the most common color for it.

I figured the circles were for decorative purposes.  Perhaps not entirely historically accurate, but nothing wrong with them.  Perhaps the ship's owner is wealthy and likes to show off?

If I were to improve on it, I might step the circles down a plate or two in the center, like your colored chequers higher on the hull does.  Other than that, I would cut the space between the chequers and the circles.  This might cause problems with the door to the captain's cabin, so a simple(ish) fix may be to change the door so it opens inward, and then change it so there is a quarter deck on the aft of the ship, a brick level or two higher than the main deck, which would run the rest of the way forward  This would lower most of the hull while allowing your captain's cabin to remain unchanged.

For the record, I like your chequer pattern.  I've done a similar thing on almost all of my ships, I think it looks really good.

31 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Glad you like it! If you're referring to the top hatch that was made using the headlight bricks, then I did it in black because that seems to be the most common color for it.

Headlight bricks! Thank you so much, i was trying to figure out how to build a semi-realistic hatch for a picture that i have in mind and i didn't thought about that!!

Another question...most common color for a merchant ship, for a ship in general or for a MOC?

1 hour ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

I figured the circles were for decorative purposes.  Perhaps not entirely historically accurate, but nothing wrong with them.  Perhaps the ship's owner is wealthy and likes to show off?

If I were to improve on it, I might step the circles down a plate or two in the center, like your colored chequers higher on the hull does.  Other than that, I would cut the space between the chequers and the circles.  This might cause problems with the door to the captain's cabin, so a simple(ish) fix may be to change the door so it opens inward, and then change it so there is a quarter deck on the aft of the ship, a brick level or two higher than the main deck, which would run the rest of the way forward  This would lower most of the hull while allowing your captain's cabin to remain unchanged.

For the record, I like your chequer pattern.  I've done a similar thing on almost all of my ships, I think it looks really good.

Wow, many thanks for the very descriptive advice! I'll definitely work on it a bit and try what you said. I really appreciate you taking the time to suggest these fixes. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go ahead and look at a few of your ships! 

1 hour ago, The APhOL said:

Headlight bricks! Thank you so much, i was trying to figure out how to build a semi-realistic hatch for a picture that i have in mind and i didn't thought about that!!

Another question...most common color for a merchant ship, for a ship in general or for a MOC?

I'd recommend a topic post about this question so you can get answers from various people with various opinions. As for my opinion, if you plan to make the entire hull including the bottom then I'd personally recommend a white bottom, as I believe not only does this achieve a pure look but also nostalgia for the Imperial Trading Ship and realism. If you'd like an example for a white hulled Brig, check out Wellesley's Ymir. As for accent colors, I personally think gold and or yellow is necessary in at least some places. Black can be used as a main color as it goes well with white as long as you don't use too much. And for my last opinion, I'd recommend looking at your different browns because I believe that even if you have an entire white hull, it's important to also emphasize generic wood. While looking at your browns make sure to choose your color based off your accent colors as dark brown can either be incredibly nice or too dull, reddish brown (the color I used for this ship) can accent bright and colorful pieces but can look too bright if used with dark colors, and generic brown can help accent more basic colors while providing a vintage feel. 

Last thing, if you're building your first ship, don't worry too much about the details and just try to build something that you are connected to and that you'll be happy to have. Cheers!

On 8/8/2019 at 4:51 PM, Cousarmy0001 said:

Hey,

You'll have an easier time looking at my ships by checking out my flickr, https://www.flickr.com/photos/57097594@N08/page1

Just ignore the pictures of me and my kids :-)

Thanks for the link! Just checked out a several of your ships and they look great! I'll be using them for inspiration (especially the small one) for future MOCs. Thanks again for the input, and always a pleasure to see a fellow stud.io user!

On 8/8/2019 at 7:35 PM, iammac said:

Spectacular! Major props to you!

MAC

Thanks so much for the nice words, Mac!

Edited by The Neighborhood Merchant

I AM Just reading this now ! Love the big ship especially the interior. Those hang-mats (or how are they called in English) are great and fit good with Lego. Love to see my sigfig included as well!! Next time, tag me as well so I am not too late at the party :laugh:

Thanks so much for the lovely feedback! Didn't know how to tag at the time so sorry about that. I just now realized your sigfig's legs are brown, whoops! Once again, really appreciate the kind words and your sigfig will always be stationed on the old trading ship's helm. Thanks for continuing to bring some good loot to the port! :pir_laugh2:

59 minutes ago, Fraunces said:

(or how are they called in English)

I call them hammocks. I'm uncertain whether or not that's the proper terminology, but that's at least what most Americans call it. 

Wow missed this one ! What a beautiful ship, with an awesome shaping even if their is no tumblehome, I especially like all the efforts put in the fitting out of the interior, with numerous good ideas : the barrel rack :thumbup:

I really like the modular look with removable upper deck part, perfect for children to play with (I had troubles to realize the same system for the Andromeda -  it was string rigged and so much more difficult for my clumsy hands to operate but My son - now 10 is easy with this modular deck )

On 8/5/2019 at 7:48 PM, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

I have an obsession with the old 2 x 3 printed books and old castle shields (anyone else?) so I tried to incorporate them in to my Captain's Quarters. Do you guys think they fit or should I remove them?

They fit !!! Do not remove them poor infortunate ! I'm a huge fan of these too !

Glad you enjoyed the MOC, @Professor Thaum! :laugh: I'm thrilled to hear you also like the old shields and books and that you think they belong, as they are very special to me. I'm shocked I never saw your Andromeda, and I must say it's a real beauty with it's color scheme and modular functions. If Octan has ties with the Pirate series, they need to come in contact with you for that ship! The way you did the smooth 2 x 2 tiles and modular functions for that ship are actually really nice looking as compared to my more Imperial flagship similarities. I'm currently trying to make a frigate with heavier rigging, and I must say it's rather difficult to have an interior with all the lines everywhere. I wish strings worked like technic pins. Darn you physics! :angry:

Thanks again for the kind words, and I look forward to see what MOC you cook up in the lab next!

Also, I completely agree with you on the string rigging. I feel the more I touch with my clumsy hands, the worse it gets. I need to consider hiring my neighbor's son to do all the rigging for me... :tongue:

You should better have a son by yourself ( I choose to have one rather than borrow the neighbor's :grin:...) it works great for lego in small spaces.

And you will bore the neighbor if you have his son for a daily use :laugh:

Haha, I'm just messing around. I'm far too young and not yet ready to have that responsibility, so I'll have to accept defeat and do this one myself for now. None the less, I do have two cats and they're basically my children for now. Don't get me wrong, I've tried to introduce them to MOC building, but they prefer to get fur everywhere more than help. Plus, they like to undo and rip my strings more than tie them. :laugh: