1 minute ago, Mechbuilds said:

Has anyone made this chassis with old hubs + old CV joints and front AND rear steering? 
On page 4 @ozacek posted the complete PF old parts compatible chassis.. 
I wonder if the rear could be made to steer?

Of course you can, just duplicate front axle and use it on the rear. But old CV joints are very weak and have a low working angle. I'd use portal hubs and U joints, but with shorter suspension arms.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:52 AM, efferman said:

There are some instructions for you

Code Red = Standard shocks from the Set
Code Yellow = Long yellow shocks at the rear axle
Body = The Body which fits to Both

So I built Code Yellow version...

img_20191017_141405063.jpg

The chassis is extremely compact and sturdy. Many times I had the feeling "this looks like over-engineering"... only to understand a bit later the necessity of that build to get something rock solid!

The instructions are not for the fainthearted, but somehow the more tricky building makes it more enjoyable than regular LEGO instructions...

The Ultimate 42099 works very well, even in the hands of a lousy driver:

The only problem I got: after some time playing, one propulsion motor shaft axle popped out.

img_20191017_165901795.jpg

Fortunately it's easy to lock the axle in place:

img_20191017_165918003.jpg

As you can see I used softer shock absorbers than the extra hard suggested by Efferman, but they are hard enough for the weight of the model.

56 minutes ago, Philo said:

Fortunately it's easy to lock the axle in place:

oops, seems i forgot something in the instruction..... Thanks for the vid

Has anyone done a gear box, just a manual switch or two, where you can select high or low gear -> go fast(as stock) in high, flick gear switch, crawl over anything in low gear.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My take on using the 6x2 steering arms on the rear instead of the liftarms, I'd had a recurring problem with the rear arms popping off the pins.

7dk8ra6.jpg

5q1eCWt.jpg

On 10/17/2019 at 10:46 PM, rekreK said:

Has anyone done a gear box, just a manual switch or two, where you can select high or low gear -> go fast(as stock) in high, flick gear switch, crawl over anything in low gear.

I've recently done that.. see my comments in Effermann's Ultimate 42099 thread on Rebrickable :-)

Edited by wower
Typo

While using this moc, i've managed to bend the large part of the gear on the rear differential. (The differential part itself - not the smaller inner gears)
Has anyone managed that before? Still works of course, but is not very smooth for sure.

Help: I just finished setting this up and download the software and firmware upgrade. The car moves back and forth but when it comes to steering it only turns right (not more than 15 degrees) and it cannot turn left at all. I can hear the servo struggling. Has anyone of you guys had this problem. Or else, what could I have done wrong?

45 minutes ago, biliboc said:

Help: I just finished setting this up and download the software and firmware upgrade. The car moves back and forth but when it comes to steering it only turns right (not more than 15 degrees) and it cannot turn left at all. I can hear the servo struggling. Has anyone of you guys had this problem. Or else, what could I have done wrong?

You probably messed up building somewhere, there is something physically blocking your steering?

On 9/15/2019 at 8:32 PM, ozacek said:

BTW small improvement to the PF-base: I think it looks much better if the dark bluish gray of the receiver aligns with the dark bluish gray of the battery box:

42099-PF.png

two gears 8 at the top of each XL motor always break if stuck.  is there any way to fix them? Thank you very much

EZWNzJC.jpgEZWNzJC.jpg

42099 was my first model with suspension and electric drive. I really liked its chassis, but the body was too simple. I decided to make a completely new body, with opening doors and a hood. I also added an imitation of the engine and a working steering wheel in the cabin. To do this, I had to move the swinging axle back.

640x640.jpg640x640.jpg640x640.jpg640x640.jpg

Edited by efgen86

@efgen86 Nice one! The roll bar version with black wheels looks like a vehicle from Carmageddon :classic:
Also, please resize your images, take a look at the sticky post.

56 minutes ago, Qukie said:

What a beast. With the roll cage on the outside it looks like it would belong in the military 

I didn't have a prototype, only my imagination. The frame was an improvisation, without it the model looked empty.

32 minutes ago, Milan said:

@efgen86 Nice one! The roll bar version with black wheels looks like a vehicle from Carmageddon :classic:
Also, please resize your images, take a look at the sticky post.

Thanks. I'll change cards a little later when I'm at home.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:27 AM, Zerobricks said:

I just tested and part 18587 PERFECTLY fits into the new female hub and can even drive it at a slight angle.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=18587&idColor=3#T=C&C=3

First of all sorry for very late response, but can you tell me how does it handle torque? I need it to make reduction from one PF XL motor.

thanks in advance 

I hope that i didn't bump into to old topic

14 hours ago, 1gor said:

First of all sorry for very late response, but can you tell me how does it handle torque? I need it to make reduction from one PF XL motor.

thanks in advance 

I hope that i didn't bump into to old topic

I tested it again, the parts fit loose, but quite deep together, so there should be no risk of skipping. The only thing you have to watch out for is not breaking the 18587 or letting it slip out. I will be at Bricking Bavaria and I can bring a 18587 part with me.

1 hour ago, Zerobricks said:

I tested it again, the parts fit loose, but quite deep together, so there should be no risk of skipping. The only thing you have to watch out for is not breaking the 18587 or letting it slip out. I will be at Bricking Bavaria and I can bring a 18587 part with me.

I'll be at my work in Zagreb, but i have ordered few in meantime...

it should be used inside 7 studs long box only in straight line, no steering. Enjoy your visit to Bavaria and send greetings to Michael (@efferman) and Simon ( @functionalTechnic).

kind regards