4 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Here is a better portal hub, now with steering: 640x352.jpg

Yes it probably can be improved.

Nothing keeps you gear axle from simply tilting up and slipping. Also I see no advantage over a regular portal hub, except for a higher gear ratio, but moch lower steering angle. These planetary hubs are just really hard to use for anything outside their original purpose. :sceptic:

I just tested and part 18587 PERFECTLY fits into the new female hub and can even drive it at a slight angle.

18587.png

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=18587&idColor=3#T=C&C=3

@SNIPE It is a nice experiment, but I think nothing more - sorry. What should be the reason to make a portal hub... well, more portal? Ground clearance can be increased like they did in 42099 - even rigid axles can be built with similar structure. Offsetting the rotation point of steering is also a disadvantage. I think there is no real benefit would left with such construction.

Edited by agrof

Just a related topic: Yesterdays update of stud.io didn't bring in the new parts from the 42099, does anyone know how long it takes normally that new parts to be integrated in stud.io? I am aware of the manual implementation of parts, but for higher convenience, I hardly use it, as they aren't linked to actual bricklink parts and therefor the easy-buy option gets lost...

The concerning parts are:

- bb961c01
- 46490c01
- bb959c01
- bb960c01

On 9/4/2019 at 8:27 AM, Zerobricks said:

Nothing keeps you gear axle from simply tilting up and slipping.

Ah I see my error now, the part holding the axle should be a pinhole with two ajecent axles, connected to beams either side with cross holes.

Nice technique using the 18587, which way round does it go?

Edited by SNIPE

Here is my wip attempt of creating 42099 body with parts from 41999. I am missing some parts but i am improvising here and there. I now only miss the actual chassis :grin:

I will hopefully use @ozacek instruction to make PF chassis and see how it works.

20190914_181711

20190914_181719

Edited by Dorino

7 hours ago, Dorino said:

Here is my wip attempt of creating 42099 body with parts from 41999. I am missing some parts but i am improvising here and there. I now only miss the actual chassis :grin:@ozacek

Looks great! The color combination of the 41999 body is just awesome. Does it work with the existing mount points?

Nice, I like the blue theme too! Although as far as I can see, only one of the 4 anchor points will work (the front bush pin). But anchor points really aren't the most difficult thing to patch..
It's funny how the blue pins look azure next to dark blue.

Edited by ozacek

BTW small improvement to the PF-base: I think it looks much better if the dark bluish gray of the receiver aligns with the dark bluish gray of the battery box:

42099-PF.png

6 hours ago, johnnym said:

Looks great! The color combination of the 41999 body is just awesome. Does it work with the existing mount points?

Tricky question since I don't have the chassis yet :) I was just following official pdf instruction swapping unavailable parts with whatever i had (possibly ignoring mounting points)

3 hours ago, ozacek said:

Nice, I like the blue theme too! Although as far as I can see, only one of the 4 anchor points will work (the front bush pin). But anchor points really aren't the most difficult thing to patch..
It's funny how the blue pins look azure next to dark blue.

Great to see you can tell it from just the photos but yes, it's just the front one (which I will change to that 2x4 tile with unique number hopefully).

And yes, not worried at all about anchor points.

Edited by Dorino

Custom Jeep body, along with the red discs, three-point fixation is maintained for quick replacement.

DSC_0055_1.jpg

DSC_0059_1.jpg

DSC_0057_2.jpg

DSC_0063_1.jpg

Edited by PetSild

10 minutes ago, PetSild said:

Custom Jeep body, along with the red discs, three-point fixation is maintained for quick replacement.

Now this looks like a Jeep suitable for Jurassic Park - something that could run over the T-rex. :laugh:

Just picked up all 3 of the 2nd half sets at a third off on Amazon in the UK this week.  I note now only the crawer crane and this set are still a third off.  The car transporter has now gone up in price.  Might be a good deal for someone.

@gregorski904: Can't remember if you already wrote it somewhere in this thread, but are you using PF or PU equipment in your mod?

Actually off-topic, but would you be so kind and post one (or more) pictures of your red mod of the blue car from 42098 in the 42098 mods thread? I haven't yet seen it in red in real - only in a rendering from my mod in red and my red parts are in use ATM. Maybe together with the blue version, that'd be cool to see the different impressions both colors give. I have only built my mod in black & orange so far.

Has anyone made this chassis with old hubs + old CV joints and front AND rear steering? 
On page 4 @ozacek posted the complete PF old parts compatible chassis.. 
I wonder if the rear could be made to steer?

Edited by Mechbuilds