I built mine last night. I will add the ground clearence mods and swap the gears for more torque but I also wanna add steering to the rear wheels

Stage 4 is completed and here is the preliminary final lxf. 

Please follow the groups during building. They are a good guideline. Especially the rear part is tricky to build.

Green parts are placeholders.

Edited by efferman

6 hours ago, efferman said:

Please follow the groups during building. They are a good guideline. Especially the rear part is tricky to build.

Green parts are placeholders.

I think you can easly swap the large tirntables for small one and add a support in front .I would repalce the free running 16 tooth gears with clutch ones on frictionless pins to reduce friction.

21 hours ago, efferman said:

Thanks, that helped.

I think I now have a solution to my problems.

Its going to have a wider track, will be using 9L link arms. Motors will be standard layout. 9.5L shocks front and rear.

Does anyone else’s steering center a bit to the left?

I completed the efferman steering and fired it up, was a bit to the left, so went to maintenance and recalibrated, it moves and appears to test the limits, but then returns to off center 

On 8/4/2019 at 2:44 AM, efferman said:
  • The big Turntable in front

People don't like that? I find it the coolest-looking feature of the entire thing. It's when I saw it that I thought, "I want to build that truck".

Edited by ozacek

On 8/4/2019 at 2:33 PM, I_Igor said:

I think front tires are facing the wrong direction

No this is correct,
In real the V gives most grip when the "open" side grabs the terrain.
(been working a lot with tractors etc)

Here is my work in progress on my mod:

hERcVhV.png

I added steering to the rear wheels as well as larger shocks.

I also changed the gearing of the two drive motors and added a second steering motor.

I am aware that the control+ app might not be able to handle a second steering motor yet but its early days.

I also kept the ground clearece mods as per effermans  lxf file.

here is the LXF of my mod  (note that it is unfinished)

Edited by SNIPE

For those who do not want to get into CTRL+ (like me) but want to build the crawler, you can always build it using PF. It's tricky to fit the motors because of the very different shapes, but it can be done. I've managed the first axle:

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

I'm not using the new planetary hubs, so the gearing had to be adjusted. Instead of the original 20T - 12T / 20T - 12T / 20T - 28T / 5.4:1 hub ≈ 2.7x torque increase, I have 8T - 8T / 14T - 14T / 12T - 20T / 20T - 28T / 1:1 hub ≈ 2.3x torque increase.

I only had two of the new 1x3x3 connector blocks so for now I can't proceed to the next axle..

Edited by ozacek

3 hours ago, ozacek said:

For those who do not want to get into CTRL+ (like me) but want to build the crawler, you can always build it using PF. It's tricky to fit the motors because of the very different shapes, but it can be done. I've managed the first axle:

[...]

Awesome! Exactly what I was asking for a while ago, but maybe in the wrong thread. :blush: Please create instructions when you're finished! :sweet: I'd love to see how it performs, too.

3 hours ago, ozacek said:

I only had two of the new 1x3x3 connector blocks so for now I can't proceed to the next axle..

They're available as replacement parts from LEGO if you can't find them on bricklink - ATM for 0,42 EUR per piece in Germany, don't know the price in Canada.

4 hours ago, coinoperator said:

In real the V gives most grip when the "open" side grabs the terrain.

I guess most people are used to seeing car tires where the tread pattern goes with point of V facing forward, but this is for water dispersion, not maximum grip.

Here is where mine is at, waiting on last parts to arrive.

3 hours ago, johnnym said:

Awesome! Exactly what I was asking for a while ago, but maybe in the wrong thread. :blush: Please create instructions when you're finished! :sweet: I'd love to see how it performs, too.

They're available as replacement parts from LEGO if you can't find them on bricklink - ATM for 0,42 EUR per piece in Germany, don't know the price in Canada.

I was wondering myself whether I was on the right thread :)

About the instructions, it's pretty hard to do from a built model, and it also takes dozen of hours... I'll think about it :)

About the parts, LEGO Brick & Pieces is currently under restructuration and orders can only be placed from US, UK & DE :(   On Bricklink, from the few available locations, shipping would be min. $10-15, and I'm not paying that for 3 parts..

6 hours ago, ozacek said:

About the parts, LEGO Brick & Pieces is currently under restructuration and orders can only be placed from US, UK & DE :(   

You can still order if you call them.

11 hours ago, rekreK said:

I guess most people are used to seeing car tires where the tread pattern goes with point of V facing forward, but this is for water dispersion, not maximum grip.

Thank you for this clarification.  So if this is the case, then really, all the times folks pointed out "wrong way" wasn't wrong at all? Correct?  Since really, no one uses these tires on a Lego model for water dispersion - pretty much only for climbing.

So turns out, if you use locked diffs, it basically doesn’t turn, I was thinking it would have reduced turning abilities, but it’s basically straight lines only.

Fortunately I now have so much suspension travel, it will be unlikely to have opposite corners off the ground, so going back to open diffs should be ok

Edited by rekreK

1 hour ago, rekreK said:

it will be unlikely to have opposite corners off the ground, so going back to open diffs should be ok

This is only independent suspension?

Actually i try a instruction of my Stage 4.1 mod with Stud.io 2.0 and now there is a point where is a need for a control+ L.

800x600.jpg

Should i use the PF L as replacement or a brickbuilt Control+ L?

1 hour ago, efferman said:

Actually i try a instruction of my Stage 4.1 mod with Stud.io 2.0 and now there is a point where is a need for a control+ L.

I am creating new 42099 parts for LDraw (thus Studio), but the road ahead is still long and winding...

The new CV joints are already done:

https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/52730.dat

https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/52731.dat

13 minutes ago, Philo said:

The new CV joints are already done:

Thank you very much! but how to install?

23 minutes ago, efferman said:

Thank you very much! but how to install?

When I'm done I'll create a package for Studio. In order for parts to work well, I'll also have to create connectivity for Studio in addition to the shapes.

If you want to see how it works, I already made such a package for Spike Prime parts: https://drive.google.com/open?id=17YU4BkiRdbmpHFgSegkDYvc21wq5MSJi

To use it, unzip it and place its contents in your C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Local\Stud.io . Spike Prime parts will then be available in Custom Parts palette of Studio. More details on custom parts in Studio forum: http://forum.bricklink.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=965&p=2615&hilit=customparts&sid=a0487a9d7213c77248f4ce56001e5072#p2615
Note that I was not able to use custom connectivity mode of Studio PartDesigner, so I had to make do with simple stud or axle connexions (eg. to attach motor hub to motor case). Not perfect, but it works!

Again, don't hold your breath while waiting for C+ motors and hub ;)

Thank you very much

edit:

made in inventor a stl file and converted in .obj. Then in Part designer adjusted the scale and combined with connection points. The result is this .part File

800x600.jpg

The model is very rough, and the motorshaft is a simple hole but it should do its job

Edited by efferman

8 hours ago, efferman said:

This is only independent suspension?

Yes, independent front and rear with large amounts of suspension travel plus center articulation, I can't see many cases where the wheels wont be able to contact the ground, requiring locked diffs.