Glad to see another supersedan. The dark blue looks sharp, though the transition between the system and technic panels is a little rough in places.

1 hour ago, Horace T said:

I like what you have done on the above update. That dark blue sloped brick by the rear wheel looks like it could provide some options.

H

Thanks, which sloped brick do you exactly mean though? The 2x8's going towards the tail lights?

1 hour ago, tomek9210 said:

Now the wheel arches look too big for wheels. Technic wheel arches looked way better.

Good point, easily fixed by adding another plate on the top and making the arch ends 1 stud closer to each other. Just tried it, looks better, so thanks.

26 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Glad to see another supersedan. The dark blue looks sharp, though the transition between the system and technic panels is a little rough in places.

Thanks, but which do you mean? There's only 2 panels left and with neither I see a real problem or I can't think of a better solution at the moment.

Edited by Appie
typo

My eye tends to be attracted to the gaps that are created from the subtle curves of the panels and how its relates to the flat tiles and bricks.

With the C pillar panel, the two diagonal lines of the top and back part of the panel distract from the roof and rear window lines of the car. 

It might just be the pictures, because the rest of the car looks sharp. And again, it's great to see a sedan.

Ah Horace T, that one, don't really see mounting options on that unless I want to mount the tiles on their side, but that is under consideration. 

13 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

My eye tends to be attracted to the gaps that are created from the subtle curves of the panels and how its relates to the flat tiles and bricks.

With the C pillar panel, the two diagonal lines of the top and back part of the panel distract from the roof and rear window lines of the car. 

It might just be the pictures, because the rest of the car looks sharp. And again, it's great to see a sedan.

I see what you mean. I am not sure how to fix it at the moment, but I will try again at some point. 

Updated OP with new pictures and a little video, but also in this post.

I am still looking to tweak a few spots (the panel at the rear window is included in this), but mostly it is finished:

48629411908_7e83445b13_b.jpg20190827_134133 by Appie NL, on Flickr

48629913007_ed768c899d_b.jpg20190827_134604 by Appie NL, on Flickr

48629405358_8920e3840b_b.jpg20190827_135244 by Appie NL, on Flickr

48629760481_b0ae150653_b.jpg20190827_134945 by Appie NL, on Flickr

I don't think I mentioned this before, but the "gas" and "break" pedal function as the forward/neutral/reverse for the gearbox. If I did the math right, then the reverse gear ratio is slightly above the ratio of the 2nd, perhaps not very realistic since afaik they are usually around the ratio of the 1st, I couldn't figure out a better ratio in the space I had left for this.

48629422158_00b1e23960_b.jpg20190827_134741 by Appie NL, on Flickr

48629405538_cd6fc00950_b.jpg20190827_135042 by Appie NL, on Flickr

The white levers with silver knobs control the windows and the black one on the dash controls the airconditioning. The lever below the steering wheel is for the lights. My aim was to have the positions for these controls as close to what they would be in a real car. Despite the roof being open, the front window levers are a little hard to reach for my big hands :laugh: (especially with my left as you will see in the video below).

48630076362_04aef3ee95_c.jpg20190827_153707 by Appie NL, on Flickr

48629775801_a8f3937f6c_b.jpg20190827_135520 by Appie NL, on Flickr

My attempt to recreate the "star filled heaven" roof lining of the real Phantom. These are "glitter bricks". They only come in weird colours like dark pink until a set of Harry Potter brought these light blues. I considered adding PF lights to this for extra effect, but it didn't have the desired result in terms of lightning and I didn't want to use 3rd party stuff on this build. 

48629418148_a0a8b54a65_b.jpg20190827_134306 by Appie NL, on Flickr

48629406153_88534ce898_b.jpg20190827_134407 by Appie NL, on Flickr

48629404933_39f85c4cb8_b.jpg20190827_135313 by Appie NL, on Flickr

Behind the back of the trunk is the gearshifter from Attika and some wires.

48629911597_b486c2f8b5_b.jpg20190827_140703 by Appie NL, on Flickr

Perhaps looks a little bright in this picture, but there's only 2 PF leds per headlight on these.

48629759836_5133394b0a_b.jpg20190827_140547 by Appie NL, on Flickr

And the taillights, 1 PF led each.

48629759806_99bc4f9e60_b.jpg20190827_140944 by Appie NL, on Flickr

And for Attika, here's your desired belly shot :classic:

I don't have the new wire holders yet from Control+ sets and not sure of these can even hold 2-3 wires in 1, so I made something myself to hold/tunnel/guide the wires. At first I wanted to completely cover up the floor and "hide" the Technic like I mostly did on the rest of the car, but decided to keep it open.

And some might notice that I updated the front suspension. When I nearly finished the build it needed an upgrade to 3 hard springs, same number as the rear, since the front suspension was pretty much dead in the old configuration.

And a little video to showcase the windows and airconditioning

Edited by Appie

Thanks. In the door there's a small LA, linked to a lever that is connected to the window, which makes it go up and down.

The new rear Wheel arches improved the overall appearance by a lot. I gotta say it looks pretty damn good, even though I am more of a Sportscar kinda guy :wink:

I'm amazed by the little details,starry roof, c'mon and that electric window is just another level. :wub:

I see why the panel wheelarch had it's right to be there at the first place. The curveture was very close to the real, nevertheless changing it brought the whole car to the same accord. I can't help, but think about it's weight. Do you have a number there? Isn't it heavy for the divetrain? If so, the new hubs should solve the problem, although the chiron wheels are different again, (WHY?!) :laugh:

Thanks for the belly pic. It really tells about the complexity of the model. I guess it"s gonna end up in the HoF, whether you like it or not. :wink:

You did the good choice building the bodywork using studful. the result is impressive (even if I don't like Rolls Royce for its cars) and the mechanics are spot on. You killed me with the windows :laugh:

Thanks guys!

@Attika oh yeah, I forgot to mention about the weight. I can't tell you exactly. The only scale I got here at home goes up to 5kg, and the Rolls makes that tilt, my guess is that it is close to or at 10kg. The drivetrain is the modded version from Didumos and JB70 from the Chiron, so it is geared down for the gearbox, so I don't notice any issues there. Another thing though, the steering is a little hard when the car is standing still. I chose a gear combination that would result in only turning the steeringwheel 90 degrees, but with the weight and friction of the tires I should perhaps reconsider that. It turns better when moving obviously. Or maybe I should have gone for "powersteering" in this MOC :classic:

I feel the same way about the rear wheelarch btw, but I also think this works better for the car as a whole even if the other option was curved more like the real thing.

25 minutes ago, Appie said:

my guess is that it is close to or at 10kg.

Respect! :thumbup:  :wink:  That's a lot of lego!

10kg? Holy sh*t dude, I am only now realizing what crazy suspension setup you have going on there at the front. I used a quad spring setup on the rear axle of my NSX, and its only about 3kg!!! Plaese tell me more about your suspension setup in the front&rear. I know it is a lot to ask, but some LDD files would be amazing, but you dont have to. Some pics would be cool too. Damn.

I don't have a LDD, but made some pics for you, dark outside now, so it's pictures with flash, hope they are still good enough:

Rear:

48631712391_d1f33d4ef2_b.jpg20190827_211231 by Appie NL, on Flickr

A little note on the rear mounting with those 3x3 round Technic things near the wheel mounting points (Hero factory weapon barrel on bricklink apparently): In this configuration these touch the insides of the wheels when the model is off the ground. If I mounted them one stud further from the wheel they would touch them even more. I decided to use this part instead of something like one 2L half liftarms with axle holes on each side, because it had to handle the weight of the car and the 3 hard springs and the issue is gone once the model is on the ground because the suspension then sacks a little and it drives smoothly.

Front:

48631712311_643b601e90_b.jpg20190827_211256 by Appie NL, on Flickr

You might have noticed in the "belly" pic, but to be clear: the 2 springs at the rear are parallel. Since the steering is at the front, this was the only place I had left to mount a third.

On an unrelated note: where are my brake calipers? I couldn't decide on a colour yet :laugh:

1 hour ago, tomek9210 said:

Mounting spring vertically, not angled, would help, because the stiffness is higher then.

Hmmm, my personal experience with mounting them vertically made for actually easier to compress suspension than a certain amount of angled and I thought I read similar stuff from others, but I could be mistaken, I am no expert on this matter. This is my personal experience with vertical mounted suspension in a MOC from 2016, I made this video back then because people thought the suspension would be very hard, which it clearly isn't:

Same suspension arm length as the Phantom, perhaps the mounting point of the springs on the arms would play a part in this, but considering the depth of the Chiron wheels it would be close to similar (maybe 1 stud closer to the wheels) if I'd mount them vertically in the chassis of the Phantom. On this Beach Buggy I simply needed 2 hard springs per wheel (and the thing weighs 2kg tops, probably around 1.5kg, I still have it build, so I could actually weigh it) because any other combination of springs would make the suspension stop working.

I did find out though that it was easier to compress the suspension when I angled them more on the Phantom from their current position (1 stud lower on the chassis on one end of the spring and 1 stud more towards the wheel on the other end of the spring), so I am not saying there's isn't some truth to what you're saying, just unsure full vertical is the answer.

Edit: another thing that is making me doubt the full vertical as a better option, is that when I first made the suspension at the front and rear, I had 2 mounting positions for them (with 2 hard springs on each suspension arm). The second being more angled than the first and at the front, the increase in weight it could handle was quite a bit more (at the rear the results were skewed by me also increasing the suspension arm length from 5 to 6 studs at the same time). In the first setup at the front it started failing around a few bits of bodywork. In the second setup it was "ok now I am out" once I started to build the dash, engine cover (not to be confused with the hood), roof and front seats. Which resulted in this 3 spring setup. The rear having a lot more weight to handle than the front meant it gave out alot sooner in the second setup (I'd say the weight distribution of the car from the rear to the front is about 60-40%).

Edited by Appie

One more thing - have you tried to make the hood a bit angled? Just a stud of difference between windshield and grill would result in a better overall look. Now it is very boxy.

Simply: WOW!
Impressive.

Which part did you use for the 2 exhausts on the back?

@tomek9210No reply regarding the suspension? For this model I am probably not changing it at this point even if there is a better configuration, since this works and fits, but knowledge on this will be good to have for new builds. So interested to hear what you think (or anybody else who feels like chiming in). 

As for the hood. The real Phantom has a minor incline in the hood towards the windshield. I had the tiles you see raised half a plate on the hood, completely on top of the liftarms at first, this felt off and hardly subtle like the real thing. This also meant I never tried a full stud on top of that hood when a single plate already felt too much that I had to resort to this half plate raised construction. (edit: I should mention that in the pictures, the flat silver soft axle on the side of the hood is unintentionally raised in the middle, you can normally see more blue above it. Always some stuff that moved and you notice after making the pictures, at least for me :classic:) 

At the trunk I did put the tiles on top because I felt the lines were a little more pronounced at that section.

@mpj Thanks!

The part for the exhaust is this part. 

Edited by Appie

Do you have a Scale at home to weigh humans? If yes, you can use that to weigh your car. Just weigh yourself, weigh yourself again while holding the Car, and do the Math :wink:

I still dont get how 3 shocks per axle are holding 10 kg... That would be over 0.8 kg per shock, probably even more if you take the "lever forces (no idea how this is called in english)" into account, which will make it even worse.

Edited by Gray Gear

I have taken the liberty to change the title and frontpage your awesome creation!

29 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Do you have a Scale at home to weigh humans?

I actually don't, but the thought has crossed my mind to do that. 

As for the shocks, I remember this image from an old Eurobricks topic concerning spring resistance: technic_shock_absorber_stiffness_chart.jFrom this topic. Seems they can handle quite a bit? For an actual application, I also remember Didumos' modded Chiron front suspension where he applied 2.8kg of force to fully compress the 4 hard springs on that.

800x450.jpg

Not saying this makes the 10kg accurate, it's still a guess, but perhaps a good guess? I will see if I can borrow a human scale for a bit since I want to know now how far off I am :laugh:

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

I have taken the liberty to change the title and frontpage your awesome creation!

Oh wow! Thanks! 

Edited by Appie