Aurore

[AoM House Phase I] Goatherd's Hut

This is an entry for Age of Mitardia - House Phase I.

Orri Ingvarson, Horgaard's herdsman, was a happy young lad.

Every summer since his coming-of-age, he would lead the small herd to the high mountain pastures. Up there, everything was quiet, everything was peaceful. He enjoyed being alone above the tree line, watching the clouds drift by of listening to the eagles' shriek.

This year was a special one : the old, decaying shed where he used to spend his nights and seek refuge during thunderstorms had been demolished. With the help of all the villagers, a new one had been built a short distance further.

And Orri felt there was something...odd with his new home. The floor seemed to clean itself. The dishes seemed to wash themselves. Flower bouquets seemed to appear out of thin air on the table. And his goat milk supply was depleting.

48444369451_d8f105a2e9_b.jpg

48444524957_3d485f7e9f_b.jpg

48444524457_530545dd84_b.jpg

48444524762_bff5566652_b.jpg

48444369601_decef66d56_b.jpg

Like with my previous build, you'll find below a few details on the featured flora.

Spoiler

The great gentian (Gentiana Lutea) is an herbaceous plant commonly found in the Mitgardian mountain meadows. 
Gentian root is harvested in summer and early autumn, and mainly used to produce a bitter spirit. In the Mitgardian pharmacopeia, it is also used as an ingredient for tonic remedies.

48444525192_cd6848a1c1_z.jpg

The giant bilberry (Vaccinium Giganteum) is a low-growing shrub also commonly found on the acidic, nutrient-poor soil of the Mitgardian mountains.
It produces big, dark blue berries that are often made into jams or pies, or simply eaten fresh. Or used to produce spirit, of course.

48444368741_1a8f7333e7_z.jpg

What a great story! Perfect idé of that nanofigure. I like that you have flowers, plants and such that you describe and also have names on. It maked the story feel real :grin:

Lovely build with a great story! Love the flowing water, just perfect! 

@Zilmrud Thank you very much! Describing plants (and animals, and maybe rocks if I manage to write something geologically relevant) is a lot of fun, I'm really glad you appreciate it! :sweet:

@adde51 Thank you! I had high hopes that the trans-clear power blast would prove useful - it did.

@Eoin Wallace Thank you so much for those kind words! 

What a nice little hut, I really like the low sloping roof.  And the little fairy? elf? nanofigure, anyway, is such a fun idea!  What piece is that for the flowing water?  I don't recognize it but it looks great!

Great little scene.  I like the landscaping and the rockwork.  The plants are a nice touch of color to the scene.  The little guy living in the rock is a cool idea.  The hut looks good especially the roof.  Really good story too.  

Gods be good! Lady Aurore, you never cease to impress me.

That's an outstanding little abode!

The roof with leveling is amazing, the rockwork and woodwork are solid. Great addition of colors, with purple and yellow in a good amount., breaking the sand green. Always love to see the goat. And that water flow is mind-blowing. 

Everything put together in a compelling story.

Spectacular and lovely MOC, fellow builder. Congrats!

Hehehe, very clever! :grin:  Perfect use for that micro-fig!  Lovely little build - great use of that new rock crystal piece, and I'm really liking that flowing water :wub:

@Kai NRG Thank you very much! The "flowing water" piece is energy effect part #27393. The end opposite to the handle fits perfectly inside a 1x1 round brick! 

@Faladrin Thank you for your words of encouragement!

@zoth33 Thank you very much! I was unsure about the colorful plants, so I'm glad you like them!

@Louis of Nutwood Thank you so much Louis! Your comments are always detailed and very motivating!

@Garmadon Thank you very much! 

On 8/4/2019 at 3:25 AM, Aurore said:

@Kai NRG Thank you very much! The "flowing water" piece is energy effect part #27393. The end opposite to the handle fits perfectly inside a 1x1 round brick! 

Thanks!  Now I need one. :grin:

Lovely, just shows you don't have to build big to get a fantastic MOC, I love the roof and the use of the round printed logs, and NPU with the treasure chest top, and nice fun detail with the micro scene! 

What a cool and funny vignette! I like the small elf, although I hoped that it's a faerie who's helping at the cottage: you know, incoming love story and such! :-)
Nice MOC!

Beautiful build!  I like the whole scene with the goat, and the gnome home in the rock!  The use of the printed minecraft and HP parts are awesome.  My favorite part is the water.  Is that one of those hand held shooters?  I haven't seen them in clear yet, but it's outstanding.  The clear water looks spectacular.  The roof with sod/moss is great, too.  I like the overall dark grey/olive work in the flora, and I especially like the continuation of the descriptions of the plants of Mitgardia.  I think we should start a page on the Wiki (that is sorely outdated) just for all the species of plants and such that you are writing up.  The only thing that stuck out to me was the white bird at an angle on the roof.  Unless birds are nuthatches or creepers (that tend to run along tree trunks), or a boring bird like a woodpecker, most birds tend to keep their heads parallel with the ground rather than at an angle as this one is on the roof.  I'm not exactly sure how you could do this, but getting a small angle to how the bird sits to make it more upright might help the realistic illusion of the scene.  Great work, though!  I'm really enjoying your builds!

@Grover Thank you very much for your detailed and insightful review! Your comment on the bird's attitude made me go out in the garden and spend some time watching the blue tits who dwell in one of our trees. And I indeed, their heads were aways parallel with the ground, even when they were acrobatically perched on the bird feeder! I had never noticed that - thank you! Now I need to find a way to angle the little LEGO bird. :sweet:

PS : the flowing water is indeed a hand-held power blast element. 

Lovely and cozy little home :thumbup: Particularly the tiny room hidden in the cliff side.

Your sense of small details is great, with the water tub, various plants, and grazing goat all fitting in nicely.

I would love it if you compiled an index of the various Mitgardian plants and their uses - it would be fun for myself and other Mitgardians to incorporate the same plant techniques in their own builds occasionally :dsweet:

I would suggest that we compile a botanical index for all the guilds over on the wiki.  Of course, with all your work, the Mitgardian section will have the most entries..... :classic: