Sign in to follow this  
LegoJalex

Best way to create instructions?

When you want to create instructions for your models how do you do that? Is there any better alternatives then generating them in LDD? I tried Studio, but it seems to be a lot of work for more complex models.

Blueprint is easiest, while Studio produces the best quality (like genuine Lego) instructions (but the workflow works backwards IMHO)

1 hour ago, anothergol said:

Blueprint is easiest, while Studio produces the best quality (like genuine Lego) instructions (but the workflow works backwards IMHO)

Ah thanks! Looks like a good program! Will check it out.

4 hours ago, anothergol said:

I couldn't disagree more. There's just so much wrong with the Stud.io instruction builder...

Mylenium

Just now, Mylenium said:

I couldn't disagree more. There's just so much wrong with the Stud.io instruction builder...

Mylenium

Which one do you recommend to use?

4 hours ago, LegoJalex said:

Which one do you recommend to use?

Blueprint if you wanna have fun, Studio if you wanna/need to produce "pro" instructions.

Studio in general is a good investment of time, because I'm afraid that the LDD won't be updated anymore. As far as I hate Studio, it's still second best IMHO. Also good for great renders.

We Gonna have a lot of opinions. Some are product loyalty, some are learning curve, some other.

I have been one of the thorns in their sides ever since it got started. It is far from perfect / completed. I seriously think they are trying very hard.

From my point of view, which is a new entry to the drawing and instruction arena, I don't plan on changing or trying others. Once you learn a few things, not all of which are written down or shared, I like it. Once I set up a bunch of hot keys to the way I like them, it works quite well. It taught me how to think in steps and organize my work. I think the hardest thing for computer types is the double click rather than drag and drop.

I've always followed a work flow of building prototypes (several) before I do the final one. Now stud.io allows me to build, draw, and check instructions as I go. The seamless switch between drawing and seeing resultant instructions develop really helps my thinking.

I'd go with Stud.io, warts and all.

I like break down photos, mostly because they usually show sub assemblies being built separately before attaching onto the main model