Sign in to follow this  
Roadmonkeytj

[MOC]HI-Rail Utility Truck

Im not so sure if these are popular in Europe but they are everywhere here in the states.  I designed this to actually sit on and off the rails as the rail wheels do lift up off tracks.

Track Truck.xf(1)

Will begin ordering parts for them shortly

Track Truck1.xf(1)

And in Brick ... Still working out the stickers for these.

20190907_112817

20190907_11261320190907_11263820190907_112706

You see them also in programs like Railroad Alaska at Discovery Channel (even in the EU). Nice job Roadmonkeytj :)

Nice work. It also reminds me on the TV series Railroad Alaska and Railroad Australia. I don't think they are as common in Europe as in the states but you also see excavators with removable axles for maintenance works. There's even one railroad in Switzerland (the Rhb in Grisons) which have Fire trucks with such axles so they can be used to help trains.

Edited by Stefaneris
Spelling error

2 hours ago, pooda said:

I wonder why they never have these for the trains waves. 

They have in the past. :thumbup: :wink:

There are two hi-rail truck sets, the prices on Bricklink are not too bad. 

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=4541-1&name=Rail and Road Service Truck&category=[Train][9V]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=4546-1&name=Road and Rail Maintenance&category=[Train][9V]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

There is also a hi-rail excavator set, prices are ok

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=4525-1&name=Road and Rail Repair&category=[Train][9V]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

There is also a hi-rail excavator in the 7936 level crossing set, price is a bit high

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=7936-1&name=Level Crossing&category=[Train][RC Train]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

There's a hi-rail truck in a 9V level crossing set, but price is outrageous

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=10128-1&name=Train Level Crossing&category=[Train][9V][World City]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

There's a hi-rail truck in 3677 Red Cargo Train from 2011, it can also be found for sale standalone on Bricklink

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=3677-1#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

18 hours ago, andythenorth said:

This was actually my favorite 4w vehicle growing up.  I had two and combined the second with this set.   But alas I've moved to a world where trains are 8w trucks are 6w lol 

On 8/2/2019 at 2:10 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Nicely done!

22 hours ago, JopieK said:

Nice job Roadmonkeytj :)

Many Thanks!

22 hours ago, JopieK said:

You see them also in programs like Railroad Alaska at Discovery Channel (even in the EU). 

21 hours ago, Stefaneris said:

Nice work. It also reminds me on the TV series Railroad Alaska and Railroad Australia. I don't think they are as common in Europe as in the states but you also see excavators with removable axles for maintenance works. There's even one railroad in Switzerland (the Rhb in Grisons) which have Fire trucks with such axles so they can be used to help trains.

Seems that I need to look this show up lol.

21 hours ago, pooda said:

I wonder why they never have these for the trains waves. 

Rail utility vehicles were quite popular during the 9v era but I wanted something more modern day (6w)

On 8/1/2019 at 11:38 PM, Modeltrainman said:

I like this! I kind of want instructions, please!

Let me get mine built to see if im happy with the connections then I'll share.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:44 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Let me get mine built to see if im happy with the connections then I'll share.

Please keep us posted. I, too, would definitely like to build this.

On 8/4/2019 at 4:48 PM, ProvenceTristram said:

I really like the proportions on this little thing. Wouldn't mind building this myself at some point.

Thanks ... Will definitely let you at some point.

On 8/4/2019 at 5:06 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very well made!

Sleek design and useful maintenance truck! :wub:

Thank you ... What railroad is complete without track workers

On 8/5/2019 at 4:35 AM, Paperinik77pk said:

Very Nice Road&Rail Truck!!! the thin tires are like the real thing!!! :classic:

Thank you ... It was a must as they always look a little funny from stock tires lol

On 8/5/2019 at 6:14 AM, Sérgio said:

Well made, I like it!

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Nice! It looks right at home on the rails!

It looks good off them as well lol thanks

So got the bricks for the truck together still need to gather some stickers but im happy with the connections.  The service bed is fragile on assembly but once together it can handle smoe fair amount of play but breaks apart with heavy play ... But will work fine for the layout.  The LDD building instructions were a nightmare though ... Anyone good at doing instructions?

(Updated pics in first post)

10 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

So got the bricks for the truck together still need to gather some stickers but im happy with the connections.  The service bed is fragile on assembly but once together it can handle smoe fair amount of play but breaks apart with heavy play ... But will work fine for the layout.  The LDD builting instructions were a nightmare though ... Anyone good at doing instructions?

(Updated pics in first post)

I have quite a bit of experience. If you would like more info shoot me a PM.