Sign in to follow this  
Rustinidiel

[MOC] Caronte spaceship

Recommended Posts

This is my entry for the Lego Ideas "Moon to Mars" contest

https://ideas.lego.com/challenges/a289cd61-c960-4364-a1a8-42da645a4fe6/application/ff3e793f-c099-4c20-aef0-4612f4e53ab8

 

Caronte, a spaceship assembled in orbit around Moon to transport a crew to Mars and provides all necessary to create the first ground base on the red planet..

48432532962_5e7892f652_b.jpgCaronte by Rusty B.

I used a "capsule" design, with a pair of dome on each living module to have a good light source..

in the middle of the ship there is a working rotating system usefull to create the artificial gravity on the floor of the living modules. During the journey, the crew can live inside them easly..

48432533262_817dabb96a_b.jpgCaronte by Rusty B.

The spaceship is mdular, because when arrives near Mars, the modules will be undocked from the ship main structure and will be send on the planet landing on the surface using parachutes...

48432393931_fd0974928a_b.jpgCaronte by Rusty B.

The crew lands on surface inside the Command pod / Rover and assembles the landed modules to create the ground base.. there are also two containers with inside solar panels, connection wires, a accumulation battery, a parabolic dish antenna and the rover wheels, that will be mounted on the Command pod to trasform it in a rover..

48432390031_029058c297_b.jpgCaronte by Rusty B.

The command pod / Rover has a command seat to drive the spaceship/rover, a second seat with computer and a back space to transport things..

48432532257_4dcaa9e375_b.jpgCaronte by Rusty B.

The base itself is playable with the opening roofs, to let play inside with the crew minifigures..

list of modules:

- Airlock:

48432390881_dfbc089f47_b.jpgCaronte by Rusty B.

The Airlock helps the crew to enter and exit the base, balancing the internal atmosphere and contains the spacesuits for the external surface walk..

- Crew living module:

48432537512_3428662187_b.jpgCaronte by Rusty B.

The main living module, with beds for crew, lamps on them, a recreation computer and space to keep personal objects..

- Science module:

48432391886_1955f43ca5_b.jpgCaronte by Rusty B.

In this living module the crew works, making experiments with Mars rocks, analyzing the scansions made with rover... there are a main desk with a laptop and microscope, rotating seat, a space with lab instrumentations, a drill to analyze rocks, and the infirmary, with all need to heal the crew..

- Greenhouse module:

48432539117_7baf0497bf_b.jpgCaronte by Rusty B.

This living module provides the food for the sustenance of the crew, during the space travel and on the ground... with a mix of traditional and idroponic colture, the plants grow and produces vegetables and fruits..

- Cargo bay:

48432393556_983b193da7_b.jpgCaronte by Rusty B.

In this container there are all the equipments to make the ground base operative.. directional solar panels, a accumulation battery, wires to connect the panels to the battery to the base itself, and a parabolic dish antenna for the communication between the base and the control base on the Moon or the Earth..

- Wheels bay:

48432536387_e9129b503c_b.jpgCaronte by Rusty B.

To transform the Command pod in a rover, this container has inside four deassembled wheels...

 

for more pics, visit my Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/152734688@N06/

because in the renders the trasparent domes are too dark, i've removed them in some pics to let see easly the internal...

I used only existing parts in existing color... but probably i've made some mistakes... i will re-check all the colors, and if i will find some errors, they can be resolved easly without changing any shape particular or details...

What do you think?

As always, comments, opinions, suggestions and costructive critics are really welcome!

Edited by Rustinidiel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool project, congrats.

 

But Caronte is Charon, the boatman that carries the souls of the dead to the Greek afterworld over the Styx river. Not exactly a great way to inspire confidence about the ship. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Chiaroscuro said:

Very cool project, congrats.

 

But Caronte is Charon, the boatman that carries the souls of the dead to the Greek afterworld over the Styx river. Not exactly a great way to inspire confidence about the ship. 🙂

you are right, Charon/Caronte maybe is a dark figure... but in real he is neutral, he is not a bad guy... and... because the first journey to the red planet will have a lot of unknowns, i thinked the name was appropriate...

second thing... i have a macabre humor :laugh:

and yes, it is not inspirational... but maybe can exorcise the fear to reacing an inhospitable place..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the contest is finished.. i've not won, but i enjoyed a lot creating this spaceship!

anyway, only one user commented it... is incredible to think over 200 viewers not had a opinion...

i think a feedback is very important, primarily if it is a critic or a suggestion to improve the model.. i'm not an expert designer and i know my creations are not perfect.. i post them to have a comparsion with you all...

i see someone dislike digital creations... but not all have the money needed to create the mocs in real life... and not understand why dislike them...

i see a lot of comment on creations of famous designers... ok, but why ignore the others?

a positive comment is a great thing, but critics and suggestions are more important in my opinion... and i see rarely someone give them to a not famous designer, to me or others...

help eachother with feedbacks help a designer to grow in his ability for his future creations and make this community helpfull... otherwise, why continuing posting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

another 100 views and nooe commented it... is possible noone hase one opinion?

you like the creation? i'm glad to know it...

you dislike the creation? i'm super happy to know what you not liked, really!

you got any suggestion to improve the moc? thanks for helping me into my personal designer growing...

 

or, if you know, explain me why all users that look this moc ignore it... it's because of the moc? is because of me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rustinidiel said:

or, if you know, explain me why all users that look this moc ignore it... it's because of the moc? is because of me?

Fine if you want something, it could be because it is a boring subject matter. When their is a ton of cool looking spaceships, a "modern day" space station does not seem that interesting. :def_shrug: Not to mention this part of the site might not be that busy. Next thing the staff just don't want one word comments, you know like "that's awesome". Plus, it probably not help that you are begging for comments. I posted stuff that got zero comments, so you are doing better than me in some ways. I guess the best way to look at it is people are looking at your stuff, and if they are not saying anything or complaining it can't be all bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, samurai-turtle said:

Fine if you want something, it could be because it is a boring subject matter. When their is a ton of cool looking spaceships, a "modern day" space station does not seem that interesting. :def_shrug: Not to mention this part of the site might not be that busy. Next thing the staff just don't want one word comments, you know like "that's awesome". Plus, it probably not help that you are begging for comments. I posted stuff that got zero comments, so you are doing better than me in some ways. I guess the best way to look at it is people are looking at your stuff, and if they are not saying anything or complaining it can't be all bad. 

personally, comment like "very cool" is not important for me... anyway if you look in a ton of other discussion, is plently of "one word comments"

but, "it can't be all bad" is that the thing! i want know what is bad in my creations, to be able to improve myself, and if noone comment i can't see the bad things in it...

for example you mentioned the fact that Caronte is a "modern day" thing... not considering that a modern day ship can be cool too, i take your opinion and next time maybe i can try to do something more "cool" (translated = more sci-fi), and for this i thank you... really!

 

Edit: i'm not "begging" for anything... i want help to make my design skills better, and here there are a lot of good designers that can help with their experience i think

Edited by Rustinidiel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rustinidiel said:

but, "it can't be all bad" is that the thing! i want know what is bad in my creations, to be able to improve myself, and if noone comment i can't see the bad things in it...

for example you mentioned the fact that Caronte is a "modern day" thing... not considering that a modern day ship can be cool too, i take your opinion and next time maybe i can try to do something more "cool" (translated = more sci-fi), and for this i thank you... really!

Maybe that is the point, their is nothing wrong with it. You are looking for some flaw that is not their, now a few years down the road their might be some new part you want to try to incorporate into the model. But this is just future speculation. 

Now, I am starting to think this could of been put into the "town section" and got more of a response you are looking for. I am thinking it gets more traffic than the sci-fi section. And like I said this does look more modern than some of the more "standard sci-fi stuff" that shows up around here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting model, I like the idea. I think you did a good job building the rooms. How will it land on Mars though?

About the comments, I don't think you should physically ask for them. I've had posts which no one replied to but you just gotta deal with it.

Personally I don't think your build is that attention grabbing so perhaps that is why not a lot of people commented.

Hope you found this useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 8:05 AM, samurai-turtle said:

Maybe that is the point, their is nothing wrong with it. You are looking for some flaw that is not their, now a few years down the road their might be some new part you want to try to incorporate into the model. But this is just future speculation. 

Now, I am starting to think this could of been put into the "town section" and got more of a response you are looking for. I am thinking it gets more traffic than the sci-fi section. And like I said this does look more modern than some of the more "standard sci-fi stuff" that shows up around here. 

i've posted it in town section, but noone interested to take a look because is a spaceship... in town section the users are more interested into minifig than mocs...

On 9/3/2019 at 8:39 AM, Reaper said:

Interesting model, I like the idea. I think you did a good job building the rooms. How will it land on Mars though?

About the comments, I don't think you should physically ask for them. I've had posts which no one replied to but you just gotta deal with it.

Personally I don't think your build is that attention grabbing so perhaps that is why not a lot of people commented.

Hope you found this useful.

all the modules land on planet surface using parachutes... a modern technique, not sci-fi, to save weigh... once landed, the crew use the rover to assemble the module together for have the base... maybe i can add to the rover a robotic arm... but it is mothern and realistic thing too..

for the comments... you say my build is not attention grabbing... ok, in your opinion why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rustinidiel said:

i've posted it in town section, but noone interested to take a look because is a spaceship... in town section the users are more interested into minifig than mocs...

all the modules land on planet surface using parachutes... a modern technique, not sci-fi, to save weigh... once landed, the crew use the rover to assemble the module together for have the base... maybe i can add to the rover a robotic arm... but it is mothern and realistic thing too..

for the comments... you say my build is not attention grabbing... ok, in your opinion why?

Perhaps add a background in the first pic? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Reaper said:

Perhaps add a background in the first pic? 

i can, but.. how important is? grabbing attention with a cool background is like, in my opinion, a picture of a car with a beautyfull woman on it...

i thinked here people look more the Lego stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.