Charbel

[MOC] 1:8 McLaren 720S w/ Instructions

I am bit late to the party, but what an astonishing build! :wub:

I love the way the white panels flow along the side of the car from front to rear. It really is a work of art to get all those angles just right so that this flow is uninterupted. The doors look fantastic, you don't notice the gaps around them. All proper supercar functions are in and the chassis looks sturdy, but still elegant. Just wow.

My only nitpick is the front lights. I know that in the real car these lights are also these big gaping holes, but for me that is distracting. I saw some versions where the splitter between the headlights themselves is made in the same colour as the bodywork instead of black to break up the hole. Have you tried that?

I'm late to this as well. However what you've managed to pull off is nothing short of incredible! The chassis looks very detailed and intricate and the lines in the body are very smooth and flowing. I love what you've done, congrats! :wub_drool:

Thank you very much @DugaldIC @Pvdb @Jeroen Ottens

On 8/5/2019 at 10:02 AM, Jeroen Ottens said:

My only nitpick is the front lights. I know that in the real car these lights are also these big gaping holes, but for me that is distracting. I saw some versions where the splitter between the headlights themselves is made in the same colour as the bodywork instead of black to break up the hole. Have you tried that?

The real car design was quite controversial when it came out so I understand that some parts of the car could look weird. I haven't tried to use small white panels but I'll give it a try once I come back from vacations, I like that idea. 

When are you going to post the instructions? I know it says in the next 4-8 weeks, but i am purchasing this for a sons birthday, as he likes cars. Great work on this MOC! You are definitely one of the better MOC-Makers out there! Keep it up!

Amazing model, one of the more details MOC I ever seen, IMO better than any Lego Technic out there!! All the hard work, hours, days, months and years spend on it make this model on of the best ever seen. 

French nation is behind you, please bring us some other MOC super car, can't wait to see what will be your new supercar artwork!!

Well done, congrats and don't give up!!

Fantastic build! So smooth! Very appreciate modular build! The quality of the material both car and video is outstanding! Spent two years for a MOC - you have to be patient. Very!

Awesome cant wait for the instructions!

Will it be possible to build in dark blue like the 720s from Fast and Furious? 

do you publis instr on rebrickble and when do you think they are ready its look briljant are the for free or must i pay (no problem)

i cant wait too biult it

Your instructions look great Charbel. Always appreciated when designers make the effort to share their work. Really enjoyed your 919 and this looks just as great to build. 

This is the best supercar MOC since brunojj1’s P1, IMO. Superb flow and amazing paneling. The simplicity of the chassis elludes me, how can it be so simple yet still carry so many functions?...

Since I have been working on a 720s of my own for some time now, this really sets the bar high, I don’t think I can reach it :cry3:

Sound like you are getting closer and closer to finish this amazing 720S, can’t wait to build this one.

what a beautiful MOC, like tiledfloor said, you put the quality bar really high, well deserved.

Hi Charbel,

I wouldn't necessarily change the front headlamps, as the car was intentionally designed with the larger emphasis on aerodynamics, displacing the overall design somewhat, which of course is in the shape of McLaren's swooping chevron. You could elect this part to be silver or differentiated by another colour, but when you evaluate the array of your images, the front view looks very good. Because when you take a deeper look, you can see the headlamps and see how this area was constructed. So this has been done well.

On the rear, the real-life car has a unified bumper, but we can all understand if you've exhausted all possibilities to somehow make it as one plane across, then that's ok. Because the rear diffuser is highly detailed and one of the model's best features.

The replication of the Monocell II carbon monocoque is excellent. The side, front and rear view should make you feel the design overall is faithful to the real-life car. If you can keep sloping more of its side panels perhaps, or more improvements if you feel it's required, that would be great to see. But these technic-based models will never be able to honestly fully capture the natural undulation of the model you're basing it on. The P1's rear is too severe compared to the 720s, since the former is a hypercar, so what's an advantage to your model is that it's easier to streamline. 

I'm not a technic-based enthusiast but this is by far, the very best model build I've seen thus far, from anything I've seen from official models, to other user-based customisations. It's hard to already build it, but the final result might inelegant in Lego. It has the facade to be an official set...

Beautiful MOC.  Looks like there is a lot learn from the techniques you've implemented, especially with the panel work.  I'll be adding this to my build list for sure.

Hello Charbel

Once I saw the preview video and then the reveal this has gone to the top of my "to build" list

Do you have an update on the instructions release date please?

Thank you