Charbel

[MOC] 1:8 McLaren 720S w/ Instructions

Update : Instructions available here : 

Hey ! 

1280x720.jpg

I'm pretty happy to present you my latest MOC which I have been working on for the past 2 years. The goal was to build a 1:8 replica of the very famous McLaren 720S. I wanted to have a bodywork with only panels and avoid as much as possible connectors and beams. I also wanted to have a fully modular build, for both the bodywork and the chassis.

SPECS :

- Fully modular chassis and bodywork 

- Steering with HOG 

- Manually operated butterfly doors 

- active rear wing

- Openable hood with 7*7*5 studs front compartment

- Independent suspensions on all wheels 

- Foldable display like the real car

- 8 speed sequential gearbox with @Didumos69 stepper.

1280x712.jpg

1280x607.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x648.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x688.jpg

1280x718.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

More pics : https://bricksafe.com/pages/Charbel/mclaren-720s

Edited by Charbel

Oh Wow that is incredible. I've been wondering what happened to the modular build you were working on in sept

Edited by Isamudyson

I have so much respect for people who can place panels in so many complex orientations and fits. Well done. @Charbel want to travel to Michigan and help me figure out how to apply panels better in my cars?

Also, I love the little garage studio you created.

Edited by Thirdwigg

Bravo pour cette construction !

Comme dit sur YouTube, intègres une école d'ingénieur, bosse ton anglais et fais un stage chez Lego !

This is simply amazing, I love how smooth it looks with all the panels! My only criticism is that I don’t like the center of the hood, it looks kind of blocky and doesn’t match the rest.

It’s so nice to see a supercar moc that respects the design lines and contours of the real thing. I reckon you’re one of the very few who are able to properly utilise panels and come up with something that isn’t warped and boxy.

Aside from the back which looks a bit off (the thin rear bumper doesn’t join the side panels as gradually as in reality, and the side panels extend backwards a little bit too far), you’ve absolutely done the rest of this car justice :wub:

Edited by Bartybum

Just stunning. Wow.

I cannot even begin to understand how a project like this takes shape, so I'm just in awe. The bare chassis alone is a work of art!

What a stunning creation! It is quite an achievement to have such accurate and smooth bodywork combined with those functions. I agree with some others regarding the rear end which looks slightly off compared to the rest.

Its nice to see builds that have taken such a long time. I get really impressed by this. Build quality, dedication.

Everything just looks solid and well thought. Zero flex when showing the suspension compress, Firm doors that don’t seem to wobble all over the place …and that Chassis shot! :wub_drool:

Every now and then you come across a MOC that reaches that other level and has you admire the MOC and the creator for his patience and perseverance. This is such a MOC! Mes compliments @Charbel! You are a true Master builder!

When You think there is nothing new... this is definitely next level generation of supercar! :wub: I am not a petrolhead myself, but it is trully amazing, I can smell the 2 years effort on each picture (or was it the smoke?...:tongue:).

I am happy that it is not motorized, also I don't see the roof and the rear as unreasonably OFF in design, the only thing which I find a bit disturbing, the wheel arches made of flex cables - the wheels can touch them. Maybe 1/2 stud higher they would sit more properly, or by using 3rd party white silicon tubes (like pneumatic tubes) cut in proper length.

I love the attention on details, both on the models, and the presentation - the own built hall really adds to the atmosphere. I just can not pick one favorite detail, there is a lot to love here. :thumbup:

Edited by agrof

Very impressive build, your panel placement skills are next level. The LEGO model looks better than the original imo, I dont like the look of the new mclarens.

Fantastic! You captured it really well. And the modularity...my goodness :wub:.

Added:

Video editing - level 99999 :thumbup::wub:

Edited by MajklSpajkl

Well, the final product certainly lived up to the expectations of the teaser video. It looks quite nice. I love the front end and doors! I agree with what the others have said about the rear end. Those white panels are just too long pointing downwards and are making it look too bulky while the real 720S has a much sleeker look. Also as mentioned above, I think the flexible axles in the rear need repositioning or raised a bit as they back part of the axle is hitting the tire when the suspension is pressed. Still a very solid car and one of the best this year.

By the way, The video work is as impressive as the car.

Congratulations finally! The chassis is a pure joy to see, even more to build and play for sure. I´m in love with this gearbox :wub: which IMO is a masterpiece on its own, thanks for sharing! Incredible bodywork, considering all the self-imposed design restrictions. Even no pins visible on the panels – that´s almost too much, my friend, let´s take a breath *oh2*... Without the bowed 13x3 panels to replicate curves, the lines flow so nicely though. Major shapes not compromised anywhere, in the meanwhile the gaps you´d usually expect are covered mysteriously by the very same panels. Pictures and video are of incredible quality, I can´t immagine all the efforts.

One bad compromise are the wheels sticking out. No doubt you´ve had good reasons, then you managed to hide it in the dark somewhere :laugh:. This was the chassis you were OK with in the end and the body development supposedly was at a point-of-no-return. I wonder if you made a crucial change of mind somewhere in the middle of the journey? As well you might have your reasons for not sharing the underside of the chassis. Though I´m very happy to know you will make instructions so we can learn everything in the near future :thumbup:.

Edited by brunojj1

Thank you very much ! 

I agree that the rear end isn't exactly like the real car but I had to make compromises to keep it simple. I am actually very happy with it even if it isn't totally accurate and wouldn't call it bulky. 

27 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

One bad compromise are the wheels sticking out. No doubt you´ve had good reasons, then you managed to hide it in the dark somewhere :laugh:. This was the chassis you were OK with in the end and the body development supposedly was at a point-of-no-return. I wonder if you made a crucial change of mind somewhere in the middle of the journey? As well you might have your reasons for not sharing the underside of the chassis. Though I´m very happy to know you will make instructions so we can learn everything in the near future :thumbup:.

Yes you guessed it right, I had to lower the car half a stud at the very end of the development and it made the wheels stick out a bit. So I adapted the soft axles around the wheels to make it better.

So as it have been pointed out, I think I will slightly adapt the rear wheels arches for the instructions version, it is actually extremely easy to do. 

And for the instructions, I will sell them only for people on this site and on techlug to avoid as much as possible counterfeits.

You have done it (again).  Congratulations on such an achievement.  I look forwarding to building this and learning more about how you put everything together.  Bruno's comments about your paneling work is worth a second mention!   All the angled connections on the inside with no pins exposed on the outside is really next level stuff.  And the video...top notch buddy!  Well done!

what an briljant pice off work

can you tell me what the price is for the instruktions

i hoop that your car not be stoling from the gangsters off ali express only you most p

have profit off all you work ones again briljant and plese tell me the price

i love the car like the car off bruno

Oh man... You just made the most beautiful Lego version of my dream car... :thumbup: I will have to buy the instructions for the first time in my life... I need this masterpiece. :wub_drool:

Do you have more photos of the bare chassis? And I would like the ubiquitous belly shot.

And... I hope someday Lego will make all the parts I need to build this beauty in purple...