Charbel

[MOC] 1:8 McLaren 720S w/ Instructions

Hi Charbel ,your design is so wonderful and I love it.

I can’t send PM,but I really like this and I’m looking forward to the instructions!!! 

I wonder if you can add me to the wishlist?(forgive my poor English)

Edited by szkshizhu

Hello ! Sorry for the lack of updated but the instructions are bound to drop, for sure tomorrow. @LvdH asked them to get early, but the instructions weren't mistake-free at that point. 

Thanks for the wait ! 

Hey thank you for the update Charbel! We appreciate the hard work and everyone is ready to build :) Please send link for payment when you’re ready. 

@Charbel Can’t message you but I’d love to be able to purchase the instructions! Such an amazing model. I have pictures of my brick link orders if you’d like them. Thanks!!

16 hours ago, Charbel said:

Hello ! Sorry for the lack of updated but the instructions are bound to drop, for sure tomorrow. @LvdH asked them to get early, but the instructions weren't mistake-free at that point. 

Thanks for the wait ! 

Great news ? I know what I have planned for the weekend now

After a few long nights... It's finished. Not just mine, but also @KD123's. We both received the instructions a bit early to test them before release. 

He did it in red while I did the original white colour scheme. I blacked out all the visible pins so no blue dots anywhere (at least visible :laugh:

Per KD123's request I'm also posting his version here. 

800x600.jpg 800x803.jpg

800x618.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

And, for @brunojj1, I grabbed my P1 off the shelf and took some shots of the McLaren family together. The 720s is a little bit shorter but the rest of the dimensions match up pretty closely. 

800x600.jpg 

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

More and better quality pictures can be found on my bricksafe

For those collecting parts: I was missing 4x 1x9 black liftarms and had 4x 1x7 extra. No idea if I or a seller made a mistake counting or if I made a building mistake, but for those building, add 4 1x9 liftarms to your pile/list just in case.

6 minutes ago, br0ken4life said:

Wow man beautiful! Do all parts exist in red? Is it more expensive than white?

White is a bit cheaper because of some rare parts in red (3x11 curved panels for instance). Red does require a couple of mods:

Part 15100 doesn't exist in red, check the pictures to see how KD123 solved it (4 at the spoiler, 4 at the front).
Part 18654 also doesn't exist but can be replaced with red bushings. 

Wow, looks even better in red, re-doing my picking list, see what i need to reorder, will message my bricklink order when placed

And the instructions are finally available ! 

1280x720.jpg

The price is 23€. To get the instructions, you can send me a PM on Eurobricks or on Rebrickable, so if you are not able to send PM here, you may use Rebrickable. If you are a new user, please send with your demand some screenshots of your latest parts orders. 

Part list : https://bricksafe.com/files/Charbel/rebrickable_parts_mclaren-720s-part-list.csv

Big thanks for everyone that helped, pretty happy to finally be able to release them.

Edited by Charbel

1 hour ago, Charbel said:

And the instructions are finally available ! 

1280x720.jpg

The price is 23€. To get the instructions, you can send me a PM on Eurobricks or on Rebrickable, so if you are not able to send PM here, you may use Rebrickable. If you are a new user, please send with your demand some screenshots of your latest parts orders. 

Part list : https://bricksafe.com/files/Charbel/rebrickable_parts_mclaren-720s-part-list.csv

Big thanks for everyone that helped, pretty happy to finally able to release them.

I have send you a private massage by rebrickable, and my user name is fenfangsong,hope to get your reply!!!

Edited by szkshizhu

One brand, one passion. Two different building styles. 

800x317.jpg800x295.jpg

Sorry if the pictures don´t give enough justice to Charlies 720S! This time I should have used another background than white..

I love this model very much, and I was lucky to get the instructions beta version to build it as soon as possible. I´ve had tremendous fun building it! The functions work smoothly and are very easy to operate. There is a releatively simple 8-speed gearbox, working like a charm. The overall looks are great! Some interesting building techniques are behind all those crazy angles for the panel attachments, but obviously the hard design work paid off in the end – the bar for future supercar designs has been raised especially in this field in particular.

One thing I don´t like about this model are the seats. They are colliding with the doors closed and slightly bending inwards. Maybe I´ve built or attached them not correctly, but I´ve double checked them and found no error. The shaft for the gearbox shifters is going near the tunnel, that doesn´t allow the seats to be placed 1 stud closer to the middle unfortunately.

800x371.jpg

800x439.jpg

800x353.jpg

The major difference I noticed in comparison to my P1 is the wheelbase being 3 studs shorter. When it comes to scaling I usually make my cars 1-2 studs longer compared to blueprints. That trick seems to balance out some bumps and overlenghts in other places and helps to keep the visual proportions. But I must say you don´t really notice it to be a problem on the 720S if you don´t have both cars next to each other. The wheel arches are very tight and the overall proportions are not really compromised IMO.

800x397.jpg

800x348.jpg

I´ve made some customizations to my taste, using chromed Bugatti wheels + red brake calipers and adding some white parts around the wheel arches and white flex axles at the doors.

800x480.jpg

800x474.jpg

Thanks for sharing your work on this stunning replica with us @Charbel !

Edited by brunojj1

Thank you very much @brunojj1 ! Those pictures are amazing and still confirm that your car looks better than mine :wub:. I totally agree on the seats, that's the part of the car I am the least proud of, it was quite tricky and seats are really not my thing lol. Now I need to build yours and get those rims. 

@lego_tactics All done on photoshop !

@LvdH Stellar pics too ! 

18 minutes ago, Charbel said:

You mean my version of the 720s looks better than yours :tongue: ? Maybe yes. Honestly, I admire your achievement on the paneling so much and that´s why it looks better than my P1. Hats off Sir :thumbup::thumbup:!

Edited by brunojj1

Fantastic pictures @brunojj1, I'll probably copy a few of your mods for my own version if you don't mind :wink: 

For those interested: I've created some very short and simple instructions for the luggage:
https://bricksafe.com/files/LvdH/collection/mclaren-720s-by-charbel/suitcase4.pdf

Can also be built in red, dark azure, dark grey, white and black and the handle can be none in a number of colours as well. 

19 minutes ago, br0ken4life said:

Can anyone help me please, in step 50 is that a 7 axel or a 9? I put a 9 but look longer then what the pictures show?

Step 50 of which part? You got a page number? 

1 hour ago, br0ken4life said:

Can anyone help me please, in step 50 is that a 7 axel or a 9? I put a 9 but look longer then what the pictures show?

When the length isn't mentioned, it means it is an axle with stop so here it is a 8 with stop.