Sign in to follow this  
Tembets

[MOC] Interstellar Ranger (and more)

Interstellar was one of my favorite films from the past five years. After I first saw it, I tried to build the Ranger spacecraft, but was stumped by all the shallow angles and gave up. I finally returned to it this summer and managed to finish it up. It's not perfect but it swooshes quite well, so I'm happy with it. :grin:

48316590526_5728a19599_b.jpgThose aren't mountains by Tembets, on Flickr

One of the things I did differently on my second attempt was to mask the windows in with stickers (the front ones are masked in over a 1x6x5 panel and a pair of 1x4x3 window) because at minifigure scale there was just no way for me to capture all the little angles in bricks in a way that I was happy with. This also freed up some space to work on the shaping around the fuselage.

48405919082_acefb05239_b.jpgRanger by Tembets, on Flickr

In the film, the front landing gear extends out from under the winglets at an angle. I managed to more or less capture this with a bar supported by a droid arm that can fold down to land, or up and under the winglets for flight. The rear hatch can swing down, and there is a second set of sliding doors that isolate the cabin from the outside.

48405773996_6527abf98f_b.jpgRanger by Tembets, on Flickr

Figures from left to right: Cooper, Brand, Romilly, Doyle, TARS, Mann. I didn't have access to Illustrator or anything at the time, so I ended up making all the stickers in powerpoint :laugh:

48405772111_e5e2f1cbb0_b.jpgEndurance by Tembets, on Flickr

And as a little bonus, I made the Endurance spacecraft as well as part of a short video I did of this MOC (below).

The Ranger is also posted to LEGO Ideas if you are interested, thanks for checking my MOC out!

Fantastic model.  Already supported on Lego Ideas.

And I have to say, I love the stop motion animation in the video, it was very impressive!

Thanks for the comments Nathan and Laura! It seats 4 minifigures plus TARS just like in the film. You can kind of see the cabin with the seating in this picture here:

48416295146_61e3a9196d_b.jpgRanger by Tembets, on Flickr

And here's the underside if anyone was curious:

48416449542_b8b35ddb80_b.jpgRanger by Tembets, on Flickr

Interstellar is my favorite movie from the last 5 years as well. The ranger looks awesome, good job! The video looks nice as well!

Bumping to add links to (free) instructions I made for this model. If you have any trouble assembling the model, please let me know. The one mistake I know of in the instructions is for modules 11/12 the white 1x2x2 slope should be facing the other way so the straight end is facing the other way.

Imgur (JPEG album)

Google Drive (downloadable PDF)