Sign in to follow this  
RowdyRob

Train 60198

Super excited. I just won the bid on a 60198 kit. I grew up playing with Legos and never had any of the trains. Everything I had was all Technic, which I still have all my models. My 7 year old twin daughters love lego and trains, so this is something that I can do with them, really excited. I also bought 3 boxes of the 60205. Hoping to expand the track a little. I don't know anything about the lego trains, so this is going to be a learning experience for me. If you'd like to share anything, like what and what not to do, please do!!! 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFmIx8n3OtDkgtIkAJk2V

But seriously though, have fun. A great way is to start tweaking the original set to add something that you want it to have. Slowly get more and more complicated. You might also want to pick up some basic train parts (wheels and couplers) from Bricklink so that you can add your own designs without tearing apart the original set. When making bogie cars, you can save money and use a turn table. If your kids are in to HP, the HP train is also compatible with the lego track, but it is a push train (can be motorized, but if you go that route, it is probably cheaper to buy a copy of the passenger train for parts than to get the individual PUP components, and that would also give you extra "basic train parts"

10 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

You might want to look into some switch tracks as well so you can go in morethan one circle!  

Gotcha! Thank you. 

9 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFmIx8n3OtDkgtIkAJk2V

But seriously though, have fun. A great way is to start tweaking the original set to add something that you want it to have. Slowly get more and more complicated. You might also want to pick up some basic train parts (wheels and couplers) from Bricklink so that you can add your own designs without tearing apart the original set. When making bogie cars, you can save money and use a turn table. If your kids are in to HP, the HP train is also compatible with the lego track, but it is a push train (can be motorized, but if you go that route, it is probably cheaper to buy a copy of the passenger train for parts than to get the individual PUP components, and that would also give you extra "basic train parts"

That was going to be my next question. Where to buy parts and stuff. I know you can buy traditional train stuff from hobby stores that come complete. So when it comes to LEGO trains you can’t buy the cars already built with the trucks? 

Also, is there a way to buy LEGO train track in bulk? There’s no way you guys are buying those small boxes with a few straight and curved pieces and building these big city’s. That’s going to cost a fortune to build a city buying those 60205 box kits. 

18 minutes ago, RowdyRob said:

Also, is there a way to buy LEGO train track in bulk?

Bricklink...?

Maybe EBay...?

Probably the cheapest way to get lego train parts (including complete cars) are from the sets. There are many people who sell instructions to build cars, and many others that sell completed cars (custom designs or parted out from sets). A google search will turn them up, a lot of them hang out on ebay. Some look great, some not so much.

Bricklink is the most comprehensive spot to buy lego parts/sets/etc. Depending where you live, there might be a 3rd party store front in your town that sells lego parts. Unfortunately straight track will never be cheap, but you could fake it with flex track if you don't mind the look and the rumble.

There are some clone brands that make track of the same gauge. Not sure how good or how expensive (I think it might be significantly cheaper, but in brown or black). If you are handy, you can even make your own track.

So we got it all in today! man is it cool. Really glad I bought three boxes of extra track, the kit didn't nearly come with enough. Took a little longer to build than I thought, no big deal though. The kids really like it. I just ordered the kit with the switch plates and one more box of tracks. Should really open it up some more. Excited to add to the small city we started building!

On 7/30/2019 at 6:41 AM, RowdyRob said:

Also, is there a way to buy LEGO train track in bulk? There’s no way you guys are buying those small boxes with a few straight and curved pieces and building these big city’s. That’s going to cost a fortune to build a city buying those 60205 box kits. 

When you see those large displays you are normally looking at the result of a club with many members, or if it is a private collection, one which possibly spans decades. There is no denying this is not a cheap hobby, but it is cheaper compared to some of the high quality model railway brands at least for rolling stock. If you plan on parts intensive scenery the cost rises quickly.

Most clubs and their members do end up buying track in those boxes, we have sometimes been able to get track in bulk but in my case not often and only in special circumstances. I've been a club member for a decade now and I cant predict if I'll be able to again. At least it isn't as bad as the cost of the metal tracks, they really do cost a fortune.

Bricklink is my favorite website to buy Lego parts. If you want to expand, the first thing you will want is more straight piece, part #53401. On BL, they cost an average of $2.00 each. Most of the dealers that have them in some sort of volume are in Europe. Look for one that doesn't change you an extra 4% for Paypal and ask for a shipping quote so that isn't a shock.   

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=53401&colorID=85

Here is an ebay lot that is pretty reasonable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Of-30-Lego-Gray-Train-Tracks-Curve-Strait/163796727318?hash=item26230bb616:g:MuIAAOSw3rFdL56s:sc:USPSPriority!28562!US!-1