Sign in to follow this  

I recently picked up this model that I've been wanting for quite some time. Ive fully built it and operated the functions. But the turn table "not sure what the correct name is" is real tough to turn with the wheel in the back. With it off the model, it turns great, put it all together and it gets tough again. Yes I've double checked the instructions several times and I have it put together correct. Anyone had this issue and found a fix for it? 

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1420.JPG

I don't recall having that issue. Obviously it will be a little harder to turn with the weight of the crane on it but not excessive. Was yours bought "new" or used? Maybe there is some dirt/grit in the turn table?

I have this set, I bought it as used, the turntable also was hard to move when the crane was finished. It hasn't changed even when I cleaned it carefully, so I assumed that the age of the set (24 years!) is the reason. I used a drop of machine oil and now it works smoothly.

Edited by keymaker

I bought this set used. But it moves super smooth and free with just the turn table in my hand. The moment I put it all together it gets tough to turn. I don’t know, maybe it’s just the weight of the whole crane assembly resting on top of it. It’s ok I guess, I didn’t buy it to be played with. Just to add to my collection. Still wish it was a little smoother though. 

8 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I agree with @keymaker about the turntable because those old ones have a lot of friction. Try to find a plastic safe oil and that should solve the issue.

3-in-1 works ok for the turn tables (old or new). Used it on my old and new ones and they spin great.

6 hours ago, RowdyRob said:

I bought this set used. But it moves super smooth and free with just the turn table in my hand. The moment I put it all together it gets tough to turn. I don’t know, maybe it’s just the weight of the whole crane assembly resting on top of it. It’s ok I guess, I didn’t buy it to be played with. Just to add to my collection. Still wish it was a little smoother though. 

I had the same problem with mine; free spins fine, but spin it with pressure and it was stiff. I think I used a butter knife (or similar) to pop it apart to put 3-in-1 oil in it easier and it spins fine now.