Sign in to follow this  
DrMuttonchops

Dyeing soft Lego parts?

Hey guys! I was looking at dyeing the medium short beard, part 93223.  All of the info I've found on recoloring or dyeing parts has to do with normal bricks.  I figured starting with the white beard would be the best for taking color.  Do you have suggestions on dyes, or how they react with the softer plastic?

Thanks!

Softer parts tend not to take up RIT dye anywhere near as well as the regular ABS parts. I tried dying handcuffs and some of the leaves that way, and the dye rubbed off. Hands are similar - they don't take up dye as well as other parts. Presumably there is a different composition to make them less breakable.

I would instead go with an alcohol based marker.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:12 AM, MAB said:

Softer parts tend not to take up RIT dye anywhere near as well as the regular ABS parts.  I would instead go with an alcohol based marker.

Sounds great, thanks for the heads-up.  Any suggestions on markers?

I use these ones, but many similar ones are available

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alcohol-Based-Markers-Materials-Calligraphy/dp/B01MU2DEI6

They are great for colouring white parts, and just about OK for tan. Darker marker colours are fine on light colour parts, but the colours are not as true as on white parts.

I occasionally use sharpies or similar (especially for thin lines) but I find for block colour they are not as good as the ones above as they don't seem to blend into previous strokes as nicely.

@MAB, I purchased a Prismacolor PB-98 black alcohol marker from my local crafts store and put four coats on a white beard piece.  The final product was glossier than the normal soft piece and not quite the same color as other black Lego parts.  However, it's a decent enough facsimile!

D9lYElP.jpg

lGBa0lU.jpg

Here's a link to a small album with two additional photos if anyone is interested.