Elephant Knight

HMS White Card (Now finished!)

image.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently working on my latest ship. Going to be a brig style. Any feedback would be welcome.

48384405226_19b40325e8.jpgBoat WIP by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

48384546092_d258bc1951.jpgBoat WIP by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

It's yet another boat by me in the colour scheme of the original Imperial Flagship. Why fix what ain't broke I say?

EKnight

Nice beginning.

I like the bow you've got here.

But the stern is perhaps a little bit too high IMO. I would have lowered it to match the line of the rest of the hull.

That's a good start.

Great looking ship! It has a really nice shaping and the colours work well together. Speaking of colours, what about 'Carte Blanche' (literally 'white card'), meaning 'free hand'? I think it would work quite well with its appearance and the fact that its build from scratch, so basically on a white sheet of paper.:classic:

Great start! The bow looks great, but I think you should give turning the droid arms around a go - it might look a little better that way :D 

With the stern I agree with Faladrin, it would probably look better if you kept it a little flatter and maybe not quite as wide as it is now - not angling the side windows outwards could already help quite a bit, maybe trying to get rid of 2-3 plates below it as well. 

Line of the gundeck looks great :D 

I took in the advice to take away the outward sloping sides of the cabin. I left the height as is, for I really like it. I do however have a problem with colouring the side of the cabin now. Got to options, as seen below.

48391781281_2ba1a8a513.jpgStern option A by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

48391921792_62d67a6c4e.jpgStern Option B by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

I think I may put a black plate underneath the windows, just to break up the white a bit, and make the windows pop more.

16 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

Great looking ship! It has a really nice shaping and the colours work well together. Speaking of colours, what about 'Carte Blanche' (literally 'white card'), meaning 'free hand'? I think it would work quite well with its appearance and the fact that its build from scratch, so basically on a white sheet of paper.:classic:

A great name suggestion, but too Frenchy :wink:. In my mind the Blue Coats are the more French types, and this is a Red Coat ship. I may however just go with White card.

Nice brig so far! I do like the color scheme, especially the dark grey stripe. I know it's probably silly, but had you considered a name having to do with William Wallace's rebellion? You said it was for red coats after all... Heck, even the Claymore wouldn't be a bad name IMO.

Keep us posted with WIP pics if you have time!

MAC

It turned out really nicely. Masts and rigging is superbly done.:classic: I agree about the stern. Its not quite there yet... maybe it needs a different approach.

Regardless on whether or not I am satisfied with the stern or not, I am calling the ship done for now. Sails are made, rigging is complete. Just need to take some better pictures. A task for this weekend.

48589384731_92478338dd.jpgHMS White Card by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

I'm kind of thinking I made the sails a touch small. Any thoughts?

EKnight

I find the sails maybe a bit small but still looking fine. Its really beautiful now fully rigged and under sails.:classic:

The HMS White Card is now all finished, and ready to sail.

48620871436_be8d455f2a.jpgHMS White Card by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

48620870196_13b7d74721.jpgHMS White Card by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

48621017547_0162b0a566.jpgHMS White Card by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

Pictures were taken at my workplace, and we have some pretty powerful fans in the shop, so I stuck one behind it, so see what would happen. Ship didn't fall apart, and got some nice billowing on the rear sails.

48620872521_85de3708fb.jpgHMS White Card by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

A close up on the headrails, as requested.

48620872956_f3379eef8a.jpgHMS White Card by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

48620873816_f606d499e8.jpgHMS White Card by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

48621018167_49798bcceb.jpgHMS White Card by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

48620876101_fee7dbd96f.jpgHMS White Card by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

Tell me what you all think! I personally feel it's my best ship to date, but I say that with most of my ships :wink:

EKnight

Edited by Elephant Knight

It turned out beautifully! The part that really strikes me is the rigging. You did such an excellent rigging application and it looks like you did every single line that belongs on a brig. Love that you kept the Imperial guard color scheme and of course the overall ship design is spectacular! I look forward to seeing your next ship! :grin_wub:

12 hours ago, Elephant Knight said:

The HMS White Card is now all finished, and ready to sail.

48620871436_be8d455f2a.jpg

Aye, what a beauty! :pir-wub:

Wow ! You managed to have a magnificent ship ! :wub_drool:

It was a pleasure to follow all your developent time, trying some designs and re working on others !

Its curve is great and the rigging is clear and well rendered, the sails are nicely done and everything seems at the good place for a vessel this size.

An excellent ship !

Congratulations sir, you've made a great vessel ! :thumbup:

Just echoing every else's sentiment: what a beautiful ship you've made. You should be very proud of your work because that is an excellent build. Well done.

What a pretty ship! Looks like a wooden model ship! It is so exquisite, especially the rigging.