So what do all of you do to make the stickers on your sets stick to the bricks permanently, or at least make them last longer? 

I once tried a clearcoat (I cannot remember which one) but all it did was make the stickers look oily. Because these stickers were on a very curved surface, their sides lifted up and the clearcoat did not seem to help.

I have read that several people cut clear tape in the shape of the sticker and apply it over the sticker, and though I have never tried this method it does not seem to be effective to me. Essentially you are putting another sticker, with a tendency to peel up over time, over another sticker. Also, because I own hundreds of sets, each with tens of stickers, cutting tape in the right size for every one of them is too big of a task.

I have also read that some people use nail polish for stickered models or other toys, though I do not know if this works well for LEGO stickers. There is also the fact that acetone and ABS plastic are not the most friendly combination, though in the right concentration apparently acetone kind of binds the sticker and its colors and patterns to the ABS plastic.

Also, before you add some kind of coating on these stickers, what kind of glue or adhesive would you use to flatten curled-up stickers?

Please leave your thoughts and ideas or proven methods in this topic, I am very curious.

If applying stickers, I tend to apply them on brand new parts, so they are free from dirt and oily finger prints. However, I normally buy a second copy of the sticker sheet if they are important to me, and take a photograph of the sticker sheet so I can print off my own in years to come if need be.

Is it possible to glue a slight plastic film like we did it for school certificate on top of the whole sticker sheet first and then use it?

Edited by ks6349

5 hours ago, ks6349 said:

Is it possible to glue a slight plastic film like we did it for school certificate on top of the whole sticker sheet first and then use it?

Wouldn't you need to accurately cut the film to use the stickers? You might as well remove the sticker then place it onto the film, then cut. That way you can leave a little film around the edge that will attach to the part it it being attached to. Although as the OP noted, to cut these for many sets will be tiresome.

I still think the best way to do it is to make sure parts are clean when you apply stickers, then make sure you keep the sets in decent conditions. So not in humid areas, not in bright sunlight, not in high or low temperatures, not in the kitchen.

In reality Lego just need to go back to their sticker supplier from the 1980’s

all my old sets the stickers are still mint, I’ve even been able to unstick and reposition some of the stickers better than the original owner did.

they can only have changed supplier for cost reasons.

Wish Lego would give up stickers completely and invest on printed bricks. We are happy to pay more for the increased cost.

I just recently started to apply stickers via the "wet" method, using some water and Dishwashing liquid , and dipping the LEGO part into it before applying the sticker.

Now, I do not know if it affects longevity of the stickers, but it surely vastly improved my application quality, and less damage/airbubbles to the stickers themselves.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:08 PM, JekPorkchops said:

So what do all of you do to make the stickers on your sets stick to the bricks permanently, or at least make them last longer? 

I have read that several people cut clear tape in the shape of the sticker and apply it over the sticker, and though I have never tried this method it does not seem to be effective to me. Essentially you are putting another sticker, with a tendency to peel up over time, over another sticker. Also, because I own hundreds of sets, each with tens of stickers, cutting tape in the right size for every one of them is too big of a task.

Also, before you add some kind of coating on these stickers, what kind of glue or adhesive would you use to flatten curled-up stickers?

I've used small pieces of precisely cut Scotch Magic Tape to flatten stickers with corners or edges that are curling up.  Because the tape is very thin, it does not tend to curl back up like a thicker sticker would.  From most angles, the tape is invisible to the eye unless one looks closely. 

This is not a perfect solution.  As you mentioned, it is very labor intensive.  Scotch Magic Tape is delicate, so cutting it to the correct shape and size to remedy a curling sticker area can be tedious.  

On 8/9/2019 at 6:40 AM, ks6349 said:

Wish Lego would give up stickers completely and invest on printed bricks. We are happy to pay more for the increased cost.

I agree with this.

Stickers are frustrating to align and apply properly.  

Many stickers also bother me from a visual standpoint.  In all my sets with white background stickers being applied to white bricks or plates, the colors do not match!  An example are the top surface wing detail stickers on the U-Wing.  The end result is surfaces where the bricks/plates are an off-white or even ivory, contrasting with stickers that are bright white.  It looks terrible.  Black stickers applied to black bricks or plates have a different problem.  The stickers are printed on white layers of paper/film/adhesive.  This leaves a thin but visible white border when the black sticker is applied to a black surface.  This also looks terrible.  

A final problem with stickers is dust.  the edges of the stickers leave exposed adhesive, which can pick up dust that is floating around in the air.  This is hard to clean off.  Wiping with a microfiber often doesn't work, because the particles (generally from fabrics, napkins, and other items that shed) get stuck to the adhesive.  Using a solvent like rubbing alcohol to detach stubborn dust weakens the adhesive around the edges and damages the paper backing of the sticker, which can result in peeling or curling. 

While I understand the advantages of stickers (low cost, more flexibility for people to use pieces in MOCs because they don't have very specific printing), they just do not feel premium, have poor storage/maintenance characteristics, and don't hold up to play very well if the set is being used by a child.  

As a hobbyist, I think stickers are one of the worst features of modern Lego.  

Edited by hagridshut

On 8/22/2019 at 3:48 PM, hagridshut said:

I agree with this.

Don't we all agree that printed bricks are better than stickers and worth the extra cost?

7 hours ago, Gomek said:

Don't we all agree that printed bricks are better than stickers and worth the extra cost?

Not always. If it is a print that makes the part unusable for MOCs, then I prefer stickers.

Plus I don't know how much the extra costs are for all prints rather than stickers. I don't think anyone outside of LEGO does.

13 hours ago, Gomek said:

With Lego's current increasing prices and decreasing quality, the bricks should be printed anyway without additional cost.