7. GHOST & PHANTOM
  8. INTERDICTOR CRUISER
  9. TIE DEFENDER
  10. MINING GUILD TIE FIGHER
  11. ARC CANNON AT-DP PROTOTYPE (NEW)
  12. LAAT/le PATROL GUNSHIP (NEW)

SHADOW CASTER

Hello again everyone

This week I present the Shadow Caster a Lancer-class pursuit craft - the ship of Bounty Hunter Ketsu Onyo from the excellent (well last 3 series anyway) Star Wars Rebels animated series.

I was ill a while back and my attention span at the time was only an hour or so so watching a few Rebels episodes at a time fit nicely.  It made me realise that there were a lot of vehicles from the animated series, not just Rebels, that I have not built or could update form my old collection so this is the first of many from this genre so keep an eye open.

This is not a very tricky build, The difficult part was getting the colour scheme right whilst not making the model too thick.  The new maccaroni tile pieces and 6x3 semi circle plates certainly helped with that once I realised that they existed.  I tend to find out about new parts now when my son gets a new set!  I think i have the overall shape and dimensions just about right.

I am surpised an official minifig scale set of this was not made.  As this was not the case I have also had to build a Ketsu Onyo minifig from official parts for the display.  This is not my speciality so if anyone can think of better minifigure parts let me know.

Anyway, enough waffle, here is the model.  Let me know what you think.

Jon

shadowcaster1.jpgshadowcaster2.jpgshadowcaster3.jpgshadowcaster4.jpgshadowcaster5.jpgshadowcasterdisplay.jpgketsuonyo.jpg

Edited by obijon

PHANTOM II

Hi again everyone

Another model from Rebels this time – the Phantom II.  The Phantom II is a modified Sheathipede-class transport shuttle. It replaced the original Phantom, which was destroyed.

This is quite a simple little model.  The only tricky part of the build was making it 5 studs wide without being too thick.  Luckily the wedge piece and inverted slope piece used for the main part of the hull have open studs.

I am not entirely satisfied with this little model.  The dimensions are pretty much spot-on according to the specifications so it is accurate but I can’t quite put my finger on it.  Maybe it is my photography!

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Jon

phantomii1.jpgphantomii2.jpgphantomii3.jpgphantomii4.jpgphantomii5.jpgphantomiidisplay.jpg

Edited by obijon

These are both great little models! The Phantom II looks fine to me. Maybe the orange circles are a bit close to the front of the fin? But at this scale there’s not much room to move them. It looks good the way it is, though. Keep up the fantastic work! Can’t wait to see what’s next.

PELTA-CLASS FRIGATE

Hello again everyone

Having survived school holidays with the monster going back to school and trips to see the in-laws I finally have time to publish a new model.

Continuing the theme of the last couple of models again this one s from the Rebels series. Originally seen in Clone Wars this is the Pelta-Class frigate.  This vessel was a medical frigate in Clone wars but was the Rebel Flagship in Rebels - Phoenix Home.

I decided to use the new 1x1 45 double slopes for this model as it made the model look sleeker rather than the 1x2 pieces.  I also decided to attach the wings at the back using a clip tile - simple is sometimes better.

Anyway it is quite a simple build but it does the job.

Let me know what you think.

Jon

peltaclassfrigate1.jpgpeltaclassfrigate2.jpgpeltaclassfrigate3.jpgpeltaclassfrigate4.jpgpeltaclassfrigate5.jpgpeltaclassfrigatedisplay.jpg

Edited by obijon

Really interesting comparison. I don't think I know the ship but it's fun to see two different approaches to building it. Well done to both.

Mine is 1:2600. Looks like @obijon's is about the same size, somewhere around 14 studs in length. The ISD would need to be roughly 75 studs or 2 feet in length to be at the same scale. 

Thanks all.

The Pelta is around 300m in length so to be in scale the MINI would need to be roughly 18cm (23 studs) in length to be in 1:1600 scale.

Hello everyone, I have had a request from a forum member for help building the Shadow Caster so I have decided to post the exploded views in this topic just in case anyone else would like to build. 

It is quite a simple build - just  layers of plates really for the most part. it is just how they are laid ot which might not be obvious.

More new stuff soon.

img_1385.jpegimg_1386.jpegimg_1387.jpegimg_1389.jpegimg_1388.jpeg

GOZANTI-CLASS CRUISER

Hello again everyone

As promised it was about time for another new model.  It is my last (for now) model from Rebels - the Gozanti-Class Imperial Carrier.  This ship was first seen briefly in The Phantom Menace flying over Mos Espa but has been significantly upgraded for Imperial use in Rebels.

One of the major upgrades being that the vessel can now carry 4 tie fighters (not included in this model).

This model is basically built along a spine of Lego Brick, Modified 1 x 2 x 1 2/3 with Studs on 1 Sideback to back with slope bricks used to shape the wings.  It is not a very complicated build but I like how this one has turned out.  I have added a few dark grey pieces so that it is not all light grey to make it a bit more interesting.

Anyway let me know what you think of this one (and the others).

Time to move on to another animated series.........

Jon

gozanti1.jpeggozanti2.jpeggozanti3.jpeggozanti4.jpeggozanti5.jpeggozantidisplay.jpeg

Edited by obijon

Great model! I tried making my own mini Gozanti, but it didn’t turn out nearly this good. Did you consider putting micro TIEs on the bottom? I think if they were at the same scale the wings would be about 2 studs long. Keep up the great work!

Thanks very much.  I thought about putting micro tie fighters on the model but they just didn’t look good enough for me and spoiled the look of the model.

The Gozanti class is definitely my favorite of the lot.  Impressive how you captured the level of detail and imposing form of the cruiser in such a small build.  Great job!

Models in next 2 posts are not new just consolidating in to one thread.

QUASAR-FIRE CRUISER

Hi again all

The first model here is not a new one.  It is the Quasar-Fire Carrier, or Phoenix Home cruiser/carrier.  

Fans of the old EU will recognise this as a version of the Flurry.

quasarfire1.jpgquasarfire2.jpgquasarfire3.jpgquasarfire4.jpg

and on display with Commander Sato.

quasarfiredisplay.jpg

IMPERIAL TROOP TRANSPORT

The second MINI model (not new) is the Imperial Troop Transport from Star Wars Rebels.  I am really fond of this vehicle as I had the original Kenner toy. I am really pleased with how this little model has turned out. I had 3 or 4 different ways of building the 6 troop pods but finally went for the 1x1 brackets with a tile. I think they work well.

imperialtrooptransport2.jpgimperialtrooptransport3.jpgimperialtrooptransport4.jpgimperialtrooptransport5.jpg

And a la planets with Agent Kallus:

imperialtrooptransportdisplay.jpg

Any further models from SW Rebels will be added to this topic so keep an eye open! ;-)

Jon

GHOST & PHANTOM

Hello again everyone

I present today two new models.  One is a MOD of a SDCC exclusive model and the other is new.  I am sure you can guess which one is which. ;-)

First up the Ghost.  Of course this is the MOD of the exclusive from a few years ago. 

I have of course filled in the minifig seat and added the gun on top.  I have also added a slot at the back for a micro phantom.  It wasn't too tricky to turn this microfightrer in to a MINI.  to be honest this has been built for quite a long time and I remember changing quite a few things but I can't remember! ;-)  You can see the little Phantom in the last picture.

ghost1.jpgghost2.jpgghost3.jpgghost4.jpg

And here is the little Phantom on its own.

ghostphantom.jpg

And here is the Ghost on display with Hera.

ghostdisplay1.jpg

Now for the Phantom.  I had built and displayed the LEGO version which was on available in the surprise bag from Disneyland (i think).  I was never really happy with their version so i recently finally got round to building my own version.

I am happy with how this little model has turned out.  It is a pretty simple build but i think the front section is quite clever with the use of a modified brick, bracket and technic liftarm piece to attach the front cannons.

phantom1.jpgphantom2.jpgphantom3.jpgphantom4.jpg

Here is a comparison pic with the LEGO version:

phantomcomparison.jpg

And on display a la planets with Kanan.

phantomdisplay.jpg

Let me know your thoughts.

Jon

INTERDICTOR CRUISER

Hi again everyone

I don't normally take requests but i had planned to build an Interdictor Cruiser.  Once again Rebels is using an old design from the EU for this.

I have gone against the normal convention on this one of building Star Destroyer models with wedge plates.  Instead I have used slope bricks and the bricks with studs on 2 sides so that I can attach the gravity wells in the same way top and bottom.  

The new(ish) 2x2 round tiles with one stud come in very handy for the gravity wells. ;-)

Here it is:

interdictor1.jpginterdictor2.jpginterdictor3.jpginterdictor4.jpg

And as usual on display a la Planets:

interdictordisplay.jpg

Jon

TIE DEFENDER

Hello again

The Interdictor was the starter and here is the main course.  yet another vehicle borrowed from the EU for Rebels is the Tie Defender.

That old triangle technic piece has come in very handy for this one.  the 3 sets of panels have been attached using 4L bars and clip plates.  The ring type clip has been used to attach the bar to the technic piece and the other type of clips to attach the panels to the bar.

The new 2x2 wedge plates have been used for the back part of the wings.

tiedefender1.jpgtiedefender2.jpgtiedefender3.jpgtiedefender4.jpg

And on display a la planets with Grand Admiral Thrawn.

tiedefenderdisplay.jpg

I am very pleased with how this turned out.  

Let me know your thoughts.

Jon

Edited by obijon

MINING GUILD TIE FIGHTER

Hello again everyone

A simple little model this time - the Mining Guild Tie from Star Wars Rebels.  I was ill a couple of weeks back and decided to re-watch Rebels as the 20 mins per Episode suited my attention span with the bloody virus!

This simple little build was also about as complicated as I could manage the way I was feeling.

It is basically just a tie fighter with cut-out solar panels.  It does look quite striking in yellow.  I have also tried my hand at decals for the Mining Guild Logo on the Tie and torso for the custom minifigure. I also painted the legs of the figure. I don't think I will be trying that again!

miningguild1.jpegminingguild2.jpegminingguild3.jpegminingguild4.jpegminingguild5.jpegminingguildtiedisplay.jpeg

Jon

Edited by obijon

Thanks guys. These models are actually a year or two old I was just putting them all together in one place as I found some of the Picture links in the old threads Had broken. Same with the other threads that have appeared on the board for Rogue One etc.

I do have a new one from Rebels as a WIP so there will be something new in this thread soon and it makes it easier to find if I update anything.

Rebels was so much better than Resistance!

Edited by obijon

7 hours ago, obijon said:

Thanks guys. These models are actually a year or two old I was just putting them all together in one place as I found some of the Picture links in the old threads Had broken. Same with the other threads that have appeared on the board for Rogue One etc.

I do have a new one from Rebels as a WIP so there will be something new in this thread soon and it makes it easier to find if I update anything.

Rebels was so much better than Resistance!

Can't wait to see your next ship!

I agree completely about that last bit, I was confused as to why rebels was hated so much, I liked it, but HOLY COW i couldn't even finish an episode or 2 of resistance. I think it was the first one of these animated series (at least in canon) that actually was just a kids show, albiet a kids show with some cool ship designs.

The thing is with Rebels if you stuck with it after the first series (which was a bit kiddie) you got a massive pay off in the last 2 series - excellent story telling and like Clone Wars was not scared to go to some dark places.

Having watched Resistance to the end with my son  I can safely say (apart from the finale) that that is not the case with that series.  As you say though there were some nice ships to build!

Edited by obijon

I am not a huge fan of Rebels (Too much plot armor in the first season,  and how most of the Imperials are sort of clowned), but that doesn't mean I don't like these! I, being an Imperial myself:grin:, like the Imperial models, but my favorite is probably the Mining Guild TIE. I think that that design was really cool, and your model has done it justice.