Thank you so much! :wink:

Now it will be possible to build this gearbox without getting mad because of LDD. :snicker:

Sorry to say, but the bracing is friction locked and the layout is nothing new, boils down to the same thing as the pumped up Bugatti or the 8-speed transmission tunnel that puts the 2-speed behind the 4-speed gearbox.

I agree, but the purpose was to make a compact gearing so I used the “classic techniques” and I tried to make a gearbox as compact as possible. The bracing is just done to hold all the gears, it’s not a solution that would be used in a MOC. To me, if someone wants to integrate my gearbox in a MOC, it will be necessary to build a new structure, so why making a bracing that won’t be used anyway?

On 7/24/2019 at 6:49 AM, Anto said:

To control this gearbox, I used the stepper of the Bugatti Chiron that I compacted a little bit (the piece in red).
48357417062_75f2da3ca5_b.jpg

Could you direct me to the pages in the building instruction where the stepper (here) is. I don't own the 42083 set. I'd like to build this.

@1963maniac Take a look at page 219& following :sweet:. Also, do you know how I knew that? I opened the PFD instructions and scrolled 30 secs until I got to the point where the stepper is built. Next time, do it yourself :wink:

8 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

@1963maniac Take a look at page 219& following :sweet:. Also, do you know how I knew that? I opened the PFD instructions and scrolled 30 secs until I got to the point where the stepper is built. Next time, do it yourself :wink:

Well, Aren't you just so smart!!! I'm sure it's easy when you know what you are looking for. Thanks just the same.

17 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

Well, Aren't you just so smart!!! I'm sure it's easy when you know what you are looking for. Thanks just the same.

:thumbup:

Hi,

I think I found a way to make it even more compact! it just needs a tiny stepper mechanism added onto it which also limits the blue liftarm from rotating too much.

800x735.jpg

I shortned the input, output. reverse, and gear change axles just for neatness since nothing connects to them in my file.

Here is the current LXF file

Here is the current LDR file

Let me know about any feedback Yes the spike prime wire clip is quite tight when it passes the yellow knob wheel, might improve it if possible later.

Regards, S.

Edited by SNIPE

Hi! I have tried to control a knob with a wire connector, however it doesn’t work - the connector just gets stuck into the knob and doesn’t turn. 

You also missed the 90° locker for the 2-speed gearbox! But the use of the technic biscuits (I hope it’s the right name ^^) was a good idea!

Here is the finished version, I tried to move the white stepper mechanism within the buscuits but its very hard because the 20 tooth gears dont let you push any axles through the holes on a buiscuit

800x600.jpg
800x600.jpg
800x600.jpg
800x600.jpg
800x600.jpg
800x600.jpg
800x600.jpg

Really compact! I especially like your use of the DBG part on the knob.

I think I'll order some technic biscuits and try to build your design and see if there is not another way to make it more compact.

On 5/24/2020 at 1:52 PM, SNIPE said:

Here is the finished version, I tried to move the white stepper mechanism within the buscuits but its very hard because the 20 tooth gears dont let you push any axles through the holes on a buiscuit

I've had the exact same idea with the microphone on the current version of my gearbox ! 

So, I managed to move the stepper mechanism 1L in, I think if I try to shrink it any more ill make a black hole :P

pics soon.

Regards, Snipe.

Edited by SNIPE

15 hours ago, SNIPE said:

So, I managed to move the stepper mechanism 1L in, I think if I try to shrink it any more ill make a black hole :P

pics soon.

Regards, Snipe.

I love some digital files if you have them. I don't mind making a building Instruction for you.

On 6/6/2020 at 1:04 PM, 1963maniac said:

I love some digital files if you have them. I don't mind making a building Instruction for you.

Here we go:

It's a little more flimsy than before but starting out simple is key if you wanna have lots of functions in a model, you can pack it with structural parts later on though this is not the only way to do it and some people start with making the structures strong first though you can kinda do that already now without thinking too much thanks to the technic frames, biscuit joints and technic baseplates.

640x510.jpg

LDR FILE

edit: OOPS, I forgot to make the red axles black lol. might fix later as well as fix the terrible alignment issues in LDCAD. I am also trying to find a way of using the knob wheels themselves along with some ratchets instead of using something like a #2 connector externally. This should save more space.

Maybe using some rubber 1x2 beams or some springs placed over an axle. it would be nice if there was just one solution instead of having like 2 steppers in the paddle shifters and 2 steppers in the gearbox like the 42083 bugatti chiron.

Edited by SNIPE

Hi!

I made my gearbox more compact and easier to use into a MOC.

I used @SNIPE's idea about using the technic biscuits in order to make the gearbox more compact. I used a Bionicle part instead of a microphone for the shifting mechanism. It works very well.

I moved the imput and the output, now they are at the center of the gearbox, so it's way easier to integrate this gearbox into a model. It's also possible and pretty easy to use it for a 4WD model (without central diff) since the red axle goes through the whole gearbox.

50134439742_35beb349be_b.jpg
50134211426_c951eae17e_b.jpg
50134211036_618627edbb_b.jpg
50134439327_2af606a8f9_b.jpg
50133658428_46c65c5506_b.jpg

19 hours ago, Anto said:

Hi!

I made my gearbox more compact and easier to use into a MOC.

I used @SNIPE's idea about using the technic biscuits in order to make the gearbox more compact. I used a Bionicle part instead of a microphone for the shifting mechanism. It works very well.

I moved the imput and the output, now they are at the center of the gearbox, so it's way easier to integrate this gearbox into a model. It's also possible and pretty easy to use it for a 4WD model (without central diff) since the red axle goes through the whole gearbox.

Oh  nice! the bionicle part is actually better.