thire5

[MOC] Vigilance - Venator class-star destroyer

@ForgedInLego @Frizzlefry25 @Kage Goomba Thank you! I appreciate that :)

On 2/5/2022 at 5:35 PM, Matjesreloaded said:

I Love it but the Price for the Instructions is not justifiable for me.

Of course, I understand that. No one is forced to buy anything... It's a pretty large model, only for the parts you need to count with the budget 1200-1500$

Somehow I missed that the instructions were finalized.

Looks phenomenal.  The side hanger bay details are particularly well done.  The Ventator is the only ship from the prequels I actually like so this will have to go on the project list. 

Instructions purchased!

Spent two days sorting existing inventory and I already have 48% of the parts list - this is gonna be a blast! :moar:

OMG... Just cant said anything else, just OMG. 11K parts... Look Amazing... Ah will be take me a ages get all the parts... :innocent:

On 3/29/2022 at 2:54 AM, lowlead said:

Instructions purchased!

Spent two days sorting existing inventory and I already have 48% of the parts list - this is gonna be a blast! :moar:

Lucky you... I am jealous... 

I would like to see the partslist before buying the instructions to see how many missing parts I have.  It's not on rebrickable is it?

0L9iR7el.jpg

AhS3Wikl.jpg

Skipping around the instructions to build larger, modular sections to make storage a bit easier during the project.  Mixing the old and light greys to achieve that 'time in service' appearance.  The command tower section has some incredible building techniques...with some very delicate parts here and there.  The main drive engines are amazing, but I'm concerned about drooping issues over time....

Edited by lowlead

my very first post here in this forum.

As you can see, the thing is massive and a real beauty.

image005.jpg.ecb5b2becca8d441b630a66f57e347ab.jpg

Everything was relatively easy to understand, only for the "flaps" at the bottom my level of Lego experience is way too low :(
on the top side it's easier because gravity is my friend, but on the bottom side it doesn't work so easily.

Flaps.JPG.78b81d56407f9ea080f6f2276dbc70aa.JPG

I'll have to have a look at it again. But now I'm glad that I have my dining table back after 6 weeks of sorting, searching and building :)

Edited by Floh1979

@thire5 As with 2mpaired's ISD Eviscerator, your Vigilance model is a true masterpiece of design.  I'm completely blown away by the build techniques and the final result - another amazing ship to behold on my kitchen counter.  You have really achieved something great - thank you for the instructions!!  It certainly is a privilege to own this model....

Image is link:

gkJkgwnm.jpg
TTp5d0sm.jpg
5oEb45em.jpg
48aTflDm.jpg
lvjLvhGm.jpg
a1C6IyUm.jpg  

As Floh1979 stated above, some of the edge treatments can be very finicky to attach - especially these underside assemblies:
ZmAgBnUm.png
OwdTqpkm.png

Lots of patience and perseverance is required for those.^^  There are a few other nitpicks, but I'll categorize them as typical for such a complex, challenging model.  I'll let others discover them as the Fleet grows in number! :wink:  What a great project this was!

Edited by lowlead

@Naixin Length is comparable to the Eviscerator, the Vigilance is only 2 inches shorter at 43" (109 cm)...I'm not sure how the Venator Class should scale in-universe to the ISD, but this model is giant.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to offer advice on instruction design for my TIE/d project or at least offer some insights?

Seeing as you did a rather complex engineering challenge in itself - you may be apt to help me improve on my project. :)

16 hours ago, lowlead said:

@Naixin Length is comparable to the Eviscerator, the Vigilance is only 2 inches shorter at 43" (109 cm)...I'm not sure how the Venator Class should scale in-universe to the ISD, but this model is giant.

A Venator is much smaller--just over 70% of the length of an ISD, and proportionately thinner, so probably less than a third of the mass.

^^ Thank you KdP...I guess I'll have to use some forced perspective for a display strategy...or find a larger ISD :grin:  Great Rebrickable page, btw - I enjoy browsing there.

Small question about this build that may seem a bit odd.

The only space I have available to display this beast would be a 12" (30.5cm) deep shelf. I've already calculated that the stand would stick out by about 3 and a half studs. My question is, if I remove the 2x4 slope on the edges of the stands, will I be greatly compromising the stability ? Or will 3 less studs not make much difference? And obviously this modification would only be necessary on one side of the two stands.

Edited by l0renZo
Typo

I would venture the 3 less studs on one side of the stand would definitely affect stability, but not by a great deal.  However, the stands as designed experience a lot of torsional stress, especially when resting on a low friction surface such as a clean countertop.  I'm thinking of connecting the forward and aft towers by constructing a long rectangular platform for my own stability improvements.  This might help in your case as well. 

The big question is:  Does your display shelf hang on a wall, or is it a free-standing piece on the floor?  Be careful, this model is heavy...you would require a very beefy shelf if it's wall-mounted!   

Edited by lowlead
typo

Interesting idea to have a platform. I'd be curious to see what that would look like.

And thank you @lowlead for your insight. From what you say, I think (hope) I should be okay. At least in terms of stability.

The weight is a good point, I hadn't thought of that honestly. My shelf is hanging on the wall. But it's costum-made and essentially consists of several small shelves supported by vertical mounts at regular intervals that are attached to a wall-mounted bracket (I don't know if that's clear). Also the planks are 3/4 inches thick for more strength.

As an example, I have had the Onecase Executor on it for 2 years and no bending so far. The Vigilance has about 30% more parts, so I'm hoping that won't be a dramatic difference... Especially since the Executor will stay next to it.

Maybe I'm playing with fire? I guess I'll see. :D

@l0renZo You're welcome!  If/when I get around to constructing a mod for the stand that's worthy of display, I'll be sure to post photos.  Have you started the Vigilance build yet, or?  Either way, good luck!

Is the parts list available for this set or do you have to buy the instructions to get it?

I aways like to see what I pieces I already have before committing to buying instructions. I've found that if you email Brick Vault, sometimes they send the piece list out and sometimes they respond with an estimate of how much it'll cost, which isn't much use when you're trying to work out if you already have some of the pieces.