VBBN

[PRESS RELEASE] 21318 LEGO® Ideas Tree House

23 minutes ago, ks6349 said:

what's usually the different between Lego "Ideas" and Lego "Expert" ?

LEGO Ideas are fan designed models, which can be any theme However, they do tend to match the LEGO Creator Expert theme a lot.

14 hours ago, ks6349 said:

what's usually the different between Lego "Ideas" and Lego "Expert" ?

Ideas Sets (usually) have no stickers, and (usually) come in a nicer box.

I can't wait to buy this awesome set when there is a nice GWP or double VIP points. I'm also looking forward to see a built set with my own eyes — it must be even more impressive than I thought, just like the JP T-Rex set (which I like but do not feel compelled to buy as quickly as the Tree House).

On 7/25/2019 at 3:52 AM, incognito said:

Ideas Sets (usually) have no stickers, and (usually) come in a nicer box.

IDK if the lack of stickers is a great differentiating factor. I mean, five of the 27 Ideas sets so far have been stickered, while 30 of the 68 Creator Expert/Direct sets have been stickerless. So Ideas sets are less likely to have stickers, but neither the number of Ideas sets with stickers nor the number of Creator Expert sets without them seems insignificant.

I'm building the set right now and am truly impressed by how well the designers managed to get the shape of the tree trunk right while minimizing the amount of gaps. After building the Saturn V, the main tower of the microscale Hogwarts and now the Treehouse, I am thoroughly enjoying the techniques TLG has been using to achieve cylindrical shapes.

So far, awesome set, fun build and beautiful standalone piece.

I think this looks like a great set and I will definitely be buying this in the future to add to my lego Ideas display case! 

I appreciate the hard work that has gone into the set but I think to make it better, and to further sales, they could have tried to make some sort of alternate build which is also a treehouse but in a different style. I think fans would have liked to have an excuse to buy two of these. (Although it may defeat the 'lego ideas' point where it is a fan's submission). Maybe it's a bit of a stretch but nevertheless, this set looks awesome. 

I also agree with a lot of people here that say they should have included a few more animals.

On 7/24/2019 at 12:04 AM, Lyichir said:

It's this. Lego has transitioned to using sugarcane-based polyethylene instead of petroleum-based polyethylene. So chemically, there shouldn't be any meaningful difference in how it biodegrades (or rather, doesn't). The point isn't to reduce the end-of-life impact of Lego's products (which thanks to their resilience and reusability is always going to be a less substantial impact than plastic goods that are meant to be "disposable"), but to reduce the environmental impact at the start of production (namely, the extraction and refinement of fossil fuels). Not to mention the future cost savings by switching to a renewable resource before the non-renewable resource that they have mainly relied on has the chance to become more scarce.

Well said, I'm glad this was pointed out already.

Anyway yes the official release is so much more different than the original but I still can't wait to get this. Maybe it could have cost 10 or 20% less but I still think it's worth the price.

I've still never actually put a scene together with multiple sets, though I'm currently putting together my first scene with Ninjago. But I was also thinking about making a scene out of this tree house together with a couple of Lego Creator sets. I was thinking about something like this:

Does anyone have any recommendations to go with this sort of scene I have in mind? Just wondering if anyone has the time to look at it, any and all suggestions would be most welcome and appreciated. And don't mind the retired product status on some of these, I'm still able to get them somewhere else.

Overall I can't wait for this tree house to be released, I actually really dig the vibrant colour scheme and think the little details in and around the little huts are amazing. I love the little telescope, the crane pulley,  the easter egg with the water bucket and the little bridge gapping in between the huts. I think this is probably one of the only builds where I don't mind the original being so wildly different than the official release.

Edited by Park7573

One of the campers might fit into your scene.

60182 (fifth wheel)

22 minutes ago, Jim said:

One of the campers might fit into your scene.

60182 (fifth wheel)

Oh wow these are great suggestions, I hadn't thought about the campers yet, thank you! I'm thinking about adding in the first one (30152) because it has some other cool stuff that would fit in perfectly, and I kind of dig the alternative house build too.

Edited by Park7573

46 minutes ago, Park7573 said:

Oh wow these are great suggestions, I hadn't thought about the campers yet, thank you! I'm thinking about adding in the first one (30152) because it has some other cool stuff that would fit in perfectly, and I kind of dig the alternative house build too.

Looking forward to the end result :wink: :thumbup:

I think this is a great set :wub: however, the tree itself, needs some extra branches and leaves, IMO.  

Does anybody have a photo with Tree House next to the Old Fishing Store? I wonder how they look like together.

On 7/31/2019 at 3:22 PM, parsom said:

Does anybody have a photo with Tree House next to the Old Fishing Store? I wonder how they look like together.

Whilst I can’t photograph them next to each other, as one is in my other house, I’m not sure they’d go that well together.  I always saw the fishing store as a coastal/seaside affair, and the treehouse is most definitely woodland.  

That said, the treehouse is a really good build, with some nice techniques, and if you’ve got a few spare hinge brackets and brown plates, you can easily add more branches to the main tree, and mix in a bit of the autumn foliage too.  I can see why the trunk is designed how it is, and I think there’s room for making similar smaller trees the same way, which might allow you to create the woodland around it, which might finish this models placement in a larger scene.