Anonknee Muss

Does anybody else find it hard to talk about Lego IRL

I've deliberately left job candidates alone with a bucket of bricks (along with assorted other distractions) just to see who is comfortable tinkering (versus reading over their own resume or picking up a newspaper checking their phone, etc.) and, depending on the situation, ask people if they have a favorite set or theme.  A woman from Human Resources once chided me for "asking about toys" as she interpreted the question as a proxy for asking how old the candidate was.  In her mind, if I could date their favorite toy and knew the age range for that toy I could guess their age.  (Many corporations in the US expressly forbid interviewers from asking candidates their age for fear of age discrimination lawsuits)

Despite my best attempts at a poker face, I laughed at her.  Then I showed her a few dozen photos on my phone from that years BrickFair and asked her to guess the ages of the creators of the various MOCs.  Then I explained that if I wanted to guess their age, I'd just add their years of experience and years of education that they'd claimed on their resume; what I was really after was a sense of their self-confidence, creativity, ingenuity and interests. 

:laugh: I just don't talk to anyone IRL :def_shrug:

More seriously, I've posted a couple of MOCs on my personal website that is on my CV, so I suppose if a prospective employer is sufficiently curious, they can talk to me about it.

"Childish" is meant to be an insult, but really childhood is the best part of most peoples lives (the Fritzl family aside). The things I felt as a child that could be improved upon were not having enough cash to buy toys and do cool stuff and grown-ups telling me what I could and couldn't do. By not caring about other peoples perceptions of you and being true to yourself you are doing yourself a great service. Simon Pegg said in an interview a while back that being a geek just meant being true to yourself and embracing the things you love and obsess about. I actually feel sorry for people who don't have something like that in their lives.

I started skateboarding when I was 6, I'm 45 next week. I still skate, Ironically its more acceptable now than when I started. When I was a teenager you had to make a conscious choice between skating and having a girlfriend. Nowadays it seems you can have both. I've never really given a monkeys what other people think about what I do and continuing to do things I enjoy as an adult is liberating as hell. What is the cut-off age for doing things you enjoy? Pretty sure it's when you stop enjoying them and thats yourdecision and no one elses.