Bob

Star Trek Mafia - Day Three

7 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

Apologies,

No need. I said the wrong name and got super flippant when you questioned it. I apologize for that.

Still leaning Scum on you, but sorry I flipped out. :blush:

4 hours ago, Hinckley said:

I wondered the same thing. I must have missed that part of the story.

The women in Star Trek wear very short dresses that are being portrayed by bare legs. They're not missing clothes. :blush:

Vote Count:
Doctor McCoy / Umbra-Mantis - 3 (Khscarymovie4, Chromeknight, CMP)
Ensign Mallory / CMP - 1 (jimmynick)

Ensign Chekov / jimmynick - 1 (Umbra-Mantis)

About 21 hours remain in Day Three. It takes four votes to lynch.

11 minutes ago, Bob said:

Doctor McCoy / Umbra-Mantis - 3 (Khscarymovie4, Chromeknight, CMP)

It's not Mantis it's Manis.

25 minutes ago, Hinckley said:

It's not Mantis it's Manis.

Vote Count:
Doctor McCoy / Umbra-Manis - 3 (Khscarymovie4, Chromeknight, CMP)
Ensign Mallory / CMP - 1 (jimmynick)

Ensign Chekov / jimmynick - 1 (Umbra-Manis)

Less than 21 hours remain in Day Three. It takes four votes to lynch.

3 hours ago, jimmynick said:

Also, keep in mind that Uhura hammered Kyle yesterday. In a situation where no-lynch gives the scum a kill, it's an easy town move to hammer late in the day to avoid a no-lynch (I say, as I hammer McCoy). It's easy for a scum to do if they hammer a townie - what difference would it make to them anyway?

Err, no. I was a post hammer vote. If you want to throw suspicion, make you have a firm grasp on facts before moving.

3 hours ago, Hinckley said:

.This is the second time you've gone after someone's communications tactics as opposed to who is Scummy. That's not what we're looking for. You don't vote for whose attitude you don't like. You vote for someone whose behavior seems Scummy.

There's nothing obstinate about what Mallory is asking. He's even looking for clarification and trying to demonstrate where he sees the discrepancy. I see it too. Are we both Scum for questioning your unvote? 90% jokes, 10% grump. Also, that's not how Town should be viewing the game. I'm leaning Scum on you more and more.

Hey Scotty. Just to clarify. Chekov is scummy, but you think we should lynch Sulu?

2 hours ago, Hinckley said:

I propose we lynch Sulu, who stopped in, read up, realized the heat was off and went to read about LEGO Movie 2 Sets. We'll keep wondering if we don't and now is the time to do it with seven of us left. We have some leeway if we get another one wrong.

I can’t tell whether shifting away from McCoy again is townies raising legitimate targets or scum trying to muddy the water.

This is the second time you've gone after someone's communications tactics as opposed to who is Scummy. That's not what we're looking for. You don't vote for whose attitude you don't like. You vote for someone whose behavior seems Scummy.

Not answering question is scummy - isn't that what you'd say? And misrepresenting what people say in order to manufacture accusations is scummy too. So you're off base with this complaint.

There's nothing obstinate about what Mallory is asking

His play misrepresents who talked to whom about what. And he refuses to quit.

2 hours ago, Khscarymovie4 said:

When were you planing on revealing these thoughts had you not been called out for it? 

idk, because thinking takes time?

2 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:

You were called out, and immediately you go to serving the will of the town, almost in a "the people have spoken"

Well, the part about my vote for Sulu assuming that you're scum should have tipped you off that I would happily vote for you.

@jimmynick How does Sulu's response answer your suspicion about his vote for Kyle?

It doesn't.

find that very similar to McCoy's action of staying off the Townie wagon and throwing a vote at Uhura."

I don't think it's similar at all - it would have been anti-town to try and walk back a lynch late in the day because that hands power to scum. Staying off the wagon is different. Do I feel bad about lynching Spock? Not really - if we'd not lynced him we'd have lost someone anyway.

27 minutes ago, Chromeknight said:

Err, no. I was a post hammer vote. If you want to throw suspicion, make you have a firm grasp on facts before moving.

Err, no, with eight people it takes five to lynch and you were the fifth vote out of five. No matter what Commander Bob's summary indicates about the order of votes.

2 hours ago, Tariq j said:

Chekhov

spelling... I am not a writer... I am a proud ensign aboard the starship Excalibur...

gone after someone's communications tactics

If I were going after communication tactics rather than scummy behavior, you'd be public enemy number one!

3 hours ago, CMP said:

I do not like to make this suggestion, and I certainly do not do it lightly: but this interaction feels staged.

Well if it was staged, we did a crap job of it didn't we? Do you think scum would really call attention to themselves  by doing an awful song and dance in the middle of the bridge?

3 hours ago, CMP said:

ven though you're doing the exact opposite of what you said you would.

I'm aware of that sweetie

And I also know what it's like to get tag-teamed into oblivion and this situation feels very similar to that.

It would probably clear a lot up if I

Unvote: Mallory (CMP)

Vote: Chekov (Me)

11 minutes ago, jimmynick said:

Not answering question is scummy - isn't that what you'd say?

:look: I don't know. Would I?

Not answering question is scummy - isn't that what you'd say? And misrepresenting what people say in order to manufacture accusations is scummy too. So you're off base with this complaint.

His play misrepresents who talked to whom about what. And he refuses to quit.

I understand what he's saying. I think the not quitting makes me lean more Town on him. It's not Scummy to get to the bottom of Scummy behavior. I will go back and really look at what was said, but I haven't figured it out yet and none of your explanations have helped. Hey, I understand being angry during Mafia. You said when you started you didn't have a lot of time, but hey use me if you want to get going. And now the day is revolving around your Scummy, Scummy behavior. That's frustrating no matter what side you're on. I feel for you.

I don't think it's similar at all - it would have been anti-town to try and walk back a lynch late in the day because that hands power to scum. Staying off the wagon is different. Do I feel bad about lynching Spock? Not really - if we'd not lynced him we'd have lost someone anyway.

It's an odd thing to say without further explanation. "I'm experiencing pause about this lynch." But my vote stays. Why say it? And not act on it. If I had played Pirates Mafia and knew Trekkie had gotten himself lynched the exact same way, metagaming it may be, I might try to bring that to people's attention. Or at least address it to him. "Why do you keep insisting on getting a Day One lynch, Spock? I remember a holovideo called Pirates Mafia where you got lynched on Day One for insisting on a lynch." But you just said "This give me pause. Good night everybody! Happy lynching!" I'm paraphrasing...part of my public enemy number one communication skills...

Also, yes, "we" would've lost someone else. McCoy. Specifically McCoy. You voted for him today, for a brief second. After I unvoted him, you proudly came in and hammered him and mentioned it a few times that you had hammered him. Proud hammer man. "...we'd have lost someone anyway." That would be McCoy who you apparently want to see his allegiance (by lynching Sulu first, but not if McCoy's not being lynched, and now Mallory because he was "obstinately twisting words") So, in this case, If "we would've lost someone anyway" that sounds like, if you're Scum then McCoy is not. And if that's the case then voting for Sulu because you think he's diametrically aligned with McCoy is fascinating, because if McCoy turns up Starfleet, would you have been all "So I guess I was wrong about Sulu too...?"

If I were going after communication tactics rather than scummy behavior, you'd be public enemy number one!

:cry_sad:

Also:

hqdefault.jpg

I'm channeling my inner-Spock, realizing I'm not doing him justice.

10 minutes ago, jimmynick said:

And I also know what it's like to get tag-teamed into oblivion and this situation feels very similar to that.

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

What???!

3 minutes ago, Hinckley said:

After I unvoted him, you proudly came in and hammered him and mentioned it a few times that you had hammered him.

It's more like hammering someone while expounding a theory that it's easy for scum to hammer someone in this game is not a good look, and I am sufficiently aware to realize that.

4 minutes ago, Hinckley said:

What???!

I'm scum, right? You want to get rid of me.

1 hour ago, Chromeknight said:

Hey Scotty. Just to clarify. Chekov is scummy, but you think we should lynch Sulu?

No. I want to lynch McCoy or Chekov. The more we get these weird answers out of them, it seems like Chekov and Sulu are the Romulans. But I feel stronger about Chekov at this point. A lot stronger. However, I was proposing we lynch McCoy, because as you said, are these all legitimate Townie concerns or Scum trying to muddy the waters? I am legitimately concerned about Chekov's behavior. Are you not? I understand not being able to discern someone's motivation, but don't you see the interaction between them a "legitimate Townie concern?"

2 minutes ago, jimmynick said:

I'm scum, right? You want to get rid of me.

If so, yes. But are you a Scum confessing? Or are you a Townie quitting? :wacko::wacko:*huh*

1 minute ago, Hinckley said:

However, I was proposing we lynch McCoy, because as you said, are these all legitimate Townie concerns or Scum trying to muddy the waters? I am legitimately concerned about Chekov's behavior. Are you not?

You and Mallory seem to be the ones most concerned about me and Sulu instead of McCoy - does anyone else have that impression?

2 minutes ago, Hinckley said:

If so, yes. But are you a Scum confessing? Or are you a Townie quitting? :wacko::wacko:*huh*

Not really and not really. We are seven; we can afford to lose me today if that means we get our heads on straight tomorrow. Except for me. I won't have a head anymore.

7 minutes ago, jimmynick said:

You and Mallory seem to be the ones most concerned about me and Sulu instead of McCoy - does anyone else have that impression?

Everyone should have that impression. Because we are both more concerned about you and Sulu than McCoy. Nurse Chapel seems to agree with us. McCoy voted for you. But who's counting?

Not really and not really.

How is that helpful?

We are seven; we can afford to lose me today if that means we get our heads on straight tomorrow. Except for me. I won't have a head anymore.

That's my line! I already said it about getting the lingering McCoy question out of the way. You won't be decapitated anyway. Last I checked the monitors, Spock and Kyle were eating ice cream with tribbles.

49 minutes ago, Hinckley said:

Nurse Chapel seems to agree with us. McCoy voted for you. But who's counting?

Nursie and McCoy are on board but you and Mallory got this ball rolling, which is why I name you two in particular.

1 hour ago, jimmynick said:

:ugh:

I don't understand this vote. It seems incredibly untownie and at the same time incredibly unscummy. It helps no one. I mean saying you are OK with being lynched is one thing, but voting for yourself is quite another. I think this makes me not want to lynch Chekov today but I would still be fine with a lynch against Sulu, or honestly sticking with the McCoy lynch would be fine with me as well. 

24 minutes ago, jimmynick said:

Nursie and McCoy are on board but you and Mallory got this ball rolling, which is why I name you two in particular.

Are you accusing both me and Mallory of being Scum protecting McCoy? How would that work? There are 2 Romulans, no Night Actions. I assume that means no conversions. If Mallory and I are in Klingon cahoots, what would our motivation be to protect McCoy and lynch you?

Not really and not really. We are seven; we can afford to lose me today if that means we get our heads on straight tomorrow. Except for me. I won't have a head anymore.

It would have to be perfectly straight, because if we lose another townie, it takes us reaching a perfect agreement to get a majority (still 4) tomorrow. Seems like too great a risk for a townie to play with, but rather a scum trying to save his hide. 

4 hours ago, Hinckley said:

No need. I said the wrong name and got super flippant when you questioned it. I apologize for that.

Still leaning Scum on you, but sorry I flipped out. :blush:

Hey, no worries :thumbup:. Honestly I’m going nuts with what’s happening now. 

2 hours ago, jimmynick said:

Just what? Your play today makes no sense. I don’t know whether this is an attempt to try and divert/split the Lynch away from McCoy here? 

On 7/18/2019 at 4:58 PM, jimmynick said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the comment preceding your vote suggests your primary concern is achieving a lynch, and it doesn't much matter who gets booted off the bridge? Why McCoy? Why not leave your vote on me, misguided as it was?

You say the following:

I think "several" rather overstates your case, and I observe that the post in which you noted McCoy's flawed argument lacks a vote:

You weren't ready to vote for him earlier, but you're right on the heels of Uhura's vote. I wonder if our replicators produce mutton?

On 7/18/2019 at 6:30 PM, jimmynick said:

Okay, so your votes are separated by four hours even though they are consecutive posts. Sue me.

I have suspicions of both Dr Spock and Lt Kyle, but I haven't decided who most deserves my vote yet.

yes. Commander Bob said so when Mallory was doing the coffee run.

How come McCoy was the next-best wagon? Why not Kyle? He had a vote on him at the time you changed yours.

It’s worth noting that on Day 1 (see above) Chekhov was the first person to jump on to Spock for going after McCoy. Looking back now it feels like a subtle defence of his scum buddy.

He then asks why Kyle (who we now was town) was not the best choice for a bandwagon. I can’t see these posts coming from a townie perespective. He’s literally defended one of the most scummy players here (McCoy) and encouraged a lynch on someone we now know is town. The vote on himself feels like a last minute ditch attempt to make himself look Town.

37 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

He then asks why Kyle (who we now was town) was not the best choice for a bandwagon. I can’t see these posts coming from a townie perespective. He’s literally defended one of the most scummy players here (McCoy) and encouraged a lynch on someone we now know is town. The vote on himself feels like a last minute ditch attempt to make himself look Town.

Can someone remind me why McCoy is "one of the most Scummy players here?"

He's not. He just managed to avoid being lynched two days in a row so we're all very interested in his alignment. Which is why Sulu's assertion that I "defended him silly.

18 minutes ago, jimmynick said:

He's not. He just managed to avoid being lynched two days in a row so we're all very interested in his alignment. Which is why Sulu's assertion that I "defended him silly.

Well, if you're going to defend someone, go silly. :snicker:

1 hour ago, Hinckley said:

Are you accusing both me and Mallory of being Scum protecting McCoy?

It could be just one of you.

Now here's a thought: you took your vote off McCoy when McCoy pointed out you were mistaken about who voted for whom, when. But that wasn't your only reason for wanting to see McCoy lynched, as you say:

I want to lynch McCoy or Chekov.

Forgive me for putting words into your mouth but I think you are just as curious as I about McCoy's affiliation. Yet there you stand, quite active but with no vote recorded (though perhaps I shouldn't take a shot at your communication), when you could easily get me to three or McCoy to four. Unless you don't want to vote for McCoy. After all:

On 7/21/2019 at 2:44 PM, Hinckley said:

Seeing McCoy avoid the lynch two days in a row makes me want to learn his allegiance, even if that means I would be lynched the next day if he turns up Romulan.

You might be McCoy's fellow Romulan, and you've latched on to Mallory's theories about me and Sulu cavorting in the dark to get the heat off your scum-buddy.

As for why you'd be reluctant to vote for me if you're scum, go fish.

Even if you're town, I don't know why you'd sit back like this. Seems more likely to me that you're scum seeing which way the wind blows.

1 hour ago, Hinckley said:

Are you accusing both me and Mallory of being Scum protecting McCoy?

You might both be scum and McCoy town. I can easily conceive of you two stoking accusations against me and Sulu, and keeping McCoy on the back burner. A roadmap to victory as an angry mob knows exactly who's on their shit list every day until it's just you Romulans left.

6 hours ago, Tariq j said:

I know you have. And I’ve read the rest of the day. I know exactly what’s gone on. Your logic is based of the fact that Chekhov’s vote for me regard me AND McCoy being scum. And I responded saying that people can vote for me if it focuses attention McCoy.

Yyyyyyyes....and it seems like that your logic is that this is a perfectly acceptable response. It's...really not. There are very few of us left. Every townie life is going to count here. I'm really bothered by the fact that you didn't respond to Chekov directly, that it took Scotty calling you out to do so, and that you didn't seem to grasp the insane logic that Chekov based his vote on. "McCoy is definitely scum, but let's vote Sulu out because he hammered Kyle." There's any number of ways you could've said "that's crazy." Like..."you're nuts, Chekov." "I'll have what he's smoking." I wouldn't've even have held it against you if you had actually responded this flippantly and jokingly because of how ridiculous it was. 

But you can't just go and ignore an accusation like that, and, when pressed, shrug and say "alright, but McCoy." 

4 hours ago, jimmynick said:

Well if it was staged, we did a crap job of it didn't we? Do you think scum would really call attention to themselves  by doing an awful song and dance in the middle of the bridge?

If it was staged, it'd be a really convenient thing to point you if one of you got lynched later and the other was on the chopping block. "I voted for Sulu/Chekov voted for me right out the gate on day three" would probably allay a fair bit of suspicion. Like I said, I don't bring up that theory lightly, it just all feels quite unnatural.

4 hours ago, jimmynick said:

:wacko: Stop doing the thing you said you townread Sulu for doing. It's really really not a townread. I thought that would've been obvious by now. 

7 hours ago, Khscarymovie4 said:

I hate to let McCoy live for so long while acting so scummy but I would be down for a lynch on Sulu or Chekov at this point. Though I would prefer Sulu as his lynch will give us more information either way. 

This is what I've been wrestling with the past couple of hours. I don't find him suspect, but I do want to wrap up this McCoy bandwagon thing. That said, in a game this small, every lynch counts, and these two are maybe doing worse than Spock and Kyle at defending themselves.

5 hours ago, Chromeknight said:

I can’t tell whether shifting away from McCoy again is townies raising legitimate targets or scum trying to muddy the water.

I'm going to be honest here, I was not expecting Chekov to flail the way that he is. As I said, I was all for ending the McCoy chapter and moving on tomorrow. I'll admit the situation has a distinct similarity to how day 1 went. But nothing about this Chekov/Sulu interaction is adding up.

And yeah. This is all going to reflect really really poorly on me if we don't lynch McCoy again and whoever we do comes up town. But the stakes feel high enough to where I can live (you know, figuratively speaking ) under suspicion if we continue voting for the people we find scummiest. As I said, I'm still not totally sold on McCoy, but I'm certainly not going to prevent a lynch if we're leaning that direction.

Anyhow, we need to bang this out ASAP. We have around 15 hours left, I'll be around for another 2 or 3. I'm willing to switch my vote from McCoy to Chekov (or Sulu if there's more clamor for that).

As it stands, we need either one more vote on McCoy, two more on Chekov, or four on Sulu for a lynch. I will leave my vote on McCoy if that's what it takes to secure a majority, but if there are people present and ready to vote for one of the latter I think that's where I'm leaning.

It could be just one of you.

Now here's a thought: you took your vote off McCoy when McCoy pointed out you were mistaken about who voted for whom, when. But that wasn't your only reason for wanting to see McCoy lynched, as you say:

Forgive me for putting words into your mouth but I think you are just as curious as I about McCoy's affiliation. Yet there you stand, quite active but with no vote recorded (though perhaps I shouldn't take a shot at your communication), when you could easily get me to three or McCoy to four. Unless you don't want to vote for McCoy. After all:

You might be McCoy's fellow Romulan, and you've latched on to Mallory's theories about me and Sulu cavorting in the dark to get the heat off your scum-buddy.

Even if you're town, I don't know why you'd sit back like this. Seems more likely to me that you're scum seeing which way the wind blows.

You might both be scum and McCoy town. I can easily conceive of you two stoking accusations against me and Sulu, and keeping McCoy on the back burner. A roadmap to victory as an angry mob knows exactly who's on their shit list every day until it's just you Romulans left.

Everyone look at the time stamps of my posts that Chekov quoted. He is (deliberately?) posting them out of order and trying to make me sound like I was inconsistent when you can follow yourself my progression of thought through the day.

I said that four hours ago, which is 17 hours after I voted. Your conclusion doesn't even make sense. You say I unvoted McCoy because I misunderstood the context of what Day he was referring to with his vote on Uhura, or whoever the fuck, some Star Trek character who isn't me, but all you've quoted is me stating that I want to lynch him or you. Was that a misquote? How can me stating the fact that I want to lynch him or you a reason to vote for him. *huh* I can't even follow what I'm asking. Your post is so bonkers to me at the moment. Sorry. I can't figure out what angle you're coming from. I went back and found some reasonable thinking in what we were questioning you about earlier, but this is pushing me back in the other direction.

About that, I could see if you were trying to rouse Sulu out of his "flying under the radar" by making a nonsense accusation. But you never really explicitly said that. You said "explicitly" that you were voting for Sulu because you thought he and McCoy were Scum together. Almost as an afterthought for our sake. What was the nonsense part?  And what was so convincing about his response and :wall: what satiated your suspicion about his vote...on whoever...that saved McCoy? I can see this all as a reasonable ploy to poke an inactive player but I can't see where you ever explain that this is what you were up to. You're focusing more on Sulu's context in answering my suspicion and not your vote :damn: I'm having so much trouble wrapping my mind around your behavior from today and trying to square it up with a Townie mindset. Is the dead board screaming for us to lynch you? To be a fly on the digital wall...

Ego, ego, ego. I did a whole song and dance about it, roughly 20 hours ago. I'll place my vote when I'm damn good and ready to and I won't reveal my tactics behind it until I need to. If I need to. Yes, I'm fascinated to know McCoy's alignment. And you and Sulu have made arguments that lead right back to me wanting to know his alignment. But these tactics have been practically spelled out for you. If you were trying to vote for Sulu today to distance yourself from him, of course you would both turn course back to McCoy if that fell through. That describes very well what is happening, actually. If we lynch McCoy and you and Sulu are the real Romulans then, as McCoy pointed out, we have to have our heads on perfectly straight. Uhura, Mallory, Chapel and I would all have to vote together to vote one of you out. We have leeway today, but not so much right around the corner.

That's a solid argument and the most coherent thing you've said all day. Why is that? It's a clear place to get the heat off of you after your fumbles, assuming you are Scum. But, seriously, coherent argument. Mallory and I have been very in line with each other. I said I suspected him because I trusted him the most. As I mentioned earlier, it might be a good Scum trick to just parrot me to try to get me to never focus on him since I "lead the discussion." I think this way, yes. I'm not crazy about it, but I've learned that looking at games this way is at least worth a look. It sounds like I have an enormous ego...and I do...but it helps to realize people might be taking advantage of that. Anyway, I'm Starfleet so I know what you're postulating isn't true, but I've been aware of what it looks like and if the Scum are going to try to take me out, that is definitely the path to take. It makes sense. You could pile evidence on that theory, I guarantee it.

Again, I'll vote when I'm good and ready. But you just keep piling on the pressure, feel free.

That's one of the many things that makes me uncomfortable just jumping on another McCoy wagon. It's expected. It's been lined up. It's the path of least resistance for both sides. No likey.

23 minutes ago, CMP said:

Anyhow, we need to bang this out ASAP. We have around 15 hours left, I'll be around for another 2 or 3. I'm willing to switch my vote from McCoy to Chekov (or Sulu if there's more clamor for that).

As it stands, we need either one more vote on McCoy, two more on Chekov, or four on Sulu for a lynch. I will leave my vote on McCoy if that's what it takes to secure a majority, but if there are people present and ready to vote for one of the latter I think that's where I'm leaning.

I'll be around, obsessively refreshing the page. I would like to see a vote count, Commander @Bob. I'm very curious to see if Chekov's vote for himself counts. I don't see a rule against it.