Having finally set free the buggy motors from TC16, it was time for something speedy again. Having seen the new 2019 transporter, that scale got me again, so making a car "compatible" with that set was very interesting. And having 8649 box on display made it clear which one I wanted 2 make. After a day of non-stop building this abomination somewhat resembling the original was born:

img_0100.jpg

img_0112.jpg

The build was based off this year's Corvette wheelbase - 20x15 studs. 8649 has oversized wheels, giving it a cartoony apperance, but that wouldn't work for this one as space in the rear was required for a double buggy motor setup. Low profile tires in combination with old rims were a perfect tuner combo and gave resemblance to the 68.8 six spoke wheels. This also allowed to place the rear wheels much closer to the buggy motors using a non-standard 36z - 16z gears combo (1:2.25) with half-stud on-axis offset [see picture below] powered through the slower, outermost motor output to an approximate 2000rpm to the rear wheels. This gear combination resulted quite reliable when braced properly and withstanded all crashes, slides and racing that was thrown at it. 

img_0105.jpg

In contrast, the front axle is a real mess. Having to place the m-motor right after the BuWizz made it really weak, and the flex axles make it hinge forwards. It does stay in place though due to all the bracing, so good enough? 

img_0106.jpg

Also low-pros are amazing for drifting, which makes this vehicle very enjoyable to play with :sweet:.

Bodywork-wise it is NOT a "modern beauty" but carries the approximate lines of the original model. All the interior details are present - double NOS bottles in the rear, Red bucket seats and a tuner steering wheel (RHD version for some JDM powah :tongue:). Supercharger was a no for me - it looked terrible on the original. Big a$$ exhausts were kept to annoy the neighbours :devil_laugh:

img_0107.jpg

In the end it is not fully compatible as it probably wouldn't be able to drive up the ramps, but does drive cool.

Welp, here's the video and LDD file https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-26855/syclone/mini-rc-nitro-menace-8649/

Best Regards, Dan. Cya later!!!

Edited by syclone

Nice! >.<  

It looks like an awesome toy car that every kid would wish to have. Really like the shape and color. Wish LEGO would actually do small scale RC cars than the RC Tracked Racer that they're doing...

:moar:                                             

Funny little car. I almost thought the video speed was modified. :laugh: I think you could have done a better job on the front fender though.

Cool that you could squeeze two buggy motors into that small space. The gear meshing on the rear axle(s) is also quite interesting. I went through multiple variations in an RC mod of mine (not yet posted) but never thought about an offset between the gears.

And most important the car really looks like it's fun to play with in the video. :sweet: If only the required equipment wouldn't be so damn expensive. :cry_sad:

Nearly forgot: Are you using one of these in front of the M motor?

Thanks everyone for the feedback)

@T Lego The front bodywork is my weakpoint usually :wacko: Will be spending more time on it next time :thumbup:

@johnnym It does get quite expensive for the electrics, but they are definitely worth it, specially the BuWizz. And yep, it is indeed the hockey spring, more compact than the servo)

EDIT: can we get an F in the chat for the rear tires :laugh_hard:

20190721_230310.jpg

Edited by syclone

8 hours ago, syclone said:

EDIT: can we get an F in the chat for the rear tires :laugh_hard:

Can you get them smoking? :wink:

I really love the power in such a small package, looks like a lot of fun.

I like the bodywork as well, but the colors...not my taste:laugh: looks like it could be straight out of fast&furious, neon green with flames...

But still, very cool. Power/weight must be crazy for a LEGO model.