Brick Cucumber

Possible SpongeBob comeback in 2020?

With Spongebob's 20th anniversary just passing, and Nick's upcoming prequel series Camp Coral in production and more series' currently being planned (however controversial of a decision after Hindenburg's death), what do you feel the chances are of the Spongebob line returning to coincide with their new expansion of the Spongebob brand? I believe MegaBloks have discontinued the line and currently no construction brands are using the license.

That would be a very great idea! In my opinion, I think SpongeBob SquarePants should have been featured in LEGO Dimensions.

Now with LEGO producing dual-molded short sleeved minifigure arms as well as multi-colored short legs, the LEGO SpongeBob SquarePants theme deserves a reboot!

I hope so, I loved the theme and we still need quite some figures and locations (mermaid man, barnacle boy, larry and all of the movie characters etc.) And by now all existing figures need huge updates (spongebob double moulded arms and legs, krabs needs claws, squidward leg printing or just completely new legs etc.) But sadly I doubt it will happen.

Guys, SpongeBob SquarePants’s official social media profiles have posted a LEGO video of the SpongeBob theme song! I know it was from 2012, but I wonder if this may be a sign? After all, Mega Construx’s SpongeBob license has pretty much expired.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/42798291365/posts/10156432676521366?sfns=mo
Twitter: https://twitter.com/spongebob/status/1189551625767194624?s=21

2 hours ago, LuigiBobLegoPants said:

I hope so as well! I've been also thinking concepts of a LEGO Nicktoons game with the original team from Nicktoons Unite! :grin:

Now that’d be an amazing idea! I’d also love to see a LEGO Avatar: The Last Airbender video game since the theme only lasted 2 sets back in 2006.

I doubt it‘ll happen amongst all the new and returning themes next year, but I‘d love for the SpongeBob theme to return :sweet: Imagine what they could do with all the new moulding techniques that have been introduced after the theme has been discontinued :drool:

we all know that lego likes to hide stuff in plain sight I'm sure I've seen recent pics i think it was of their new campus with a huge sponge bob brick built statue in the fore front 

it was certainly enough for me to notice and think thats odd as its a lapsed license 

Edited by Benny benny BENNY
fat fingers missing letters

23 minutes ago, Benny benny BENNY said:

we all know that lego likes to hide stuff in plain sight I'm sure I've seen recent pics i think it was of their new campus with a huge sponge bob brick built statue in the fore front 

it was certainly enough for me to notice and think thats odd as its a lapsed license 

Oh, really? You mean this image?

the-new-lego-group-campus-billund-c28101

I decided to do some research after I read your post.

I wouldn‘t read too much into it. Sure, it‘s weird to see a model representing a long expired license in the middle of a room in the new campus, but the theme is part of TLG‘s history like any other and thus deserving of a spot like that, active or not :classic: Johnny Thunder is also represented and I don‘t see him (re-)returning soon :shrug_oh_well:

11 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I wouldn‘t read too much into it. Sure, it‘s weird to see a model representing a long expired license in the middle of a room in the new campus, but the theme is part of TLG‘s history like any other and thus deserving of a spot like that, active or not :classic: Johnny Thunder is also represented and I don‘t see him (re-)returning soon :shrug_oh_well:

Second. Its vague to tell if Spongebob license is coming back unless leaks says so. :wink:

20 minutes ago, Benny benny BENNY said:

was johnny thunder released recently in a set ???

Yes, it was 70815 Super Secret Police Dropship from The LEGO Movie in 2014. As well as LEGO Minifigures Series 19, as the Jungle Explorer.

Trolls, Minions and SpongeBob all at once would be way too much. The target audience overlaps too much.

On 11/14/2019 at 9:20 PM, Robert8 said:

Trolls, Minions and SpongeBob all at once would be way too much. The target audience overlaps too much.

Disagree. Spongebob's appeal is classic (even to adults) and far eclipses those other two.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:19 AM, Lego-Freak said:

Similarly, when Elves was coming out and we saw some of the pics of designers working on the theme, there was a brick-built sculpture of an Indiana Jones minifigure on a table alongside the Elves stuff, and obviously that theme came and went without being accompanied by the return of LEGO Indy.

That said, I think the gestating fifth movie planned for a 2021 will likely be accompanied by at least a few new sets. Similarly, if SpongeBob is another still-active franchise through this prequel series, then more LEGO sets could well happen as long as none of TLG’s competitors are using the license.