Sign in to follow this  
Captain Nemo

Licensed Forum Restructure

Hello all! 

I'm glad you could find this, considering how cluttered Licensed has become! :blush: With new themes seemingly being released by the hour, I felt it was time to revamp the organization of the Licensed forum...by reverting it to the old style of pinned topics! Pinned Topics are threads that are locked in place at the top of the forum's page. That means they will never move up or down and will never get lost. This means whenever you are looking for a major thread, you will always know where it is. 

Currently, six threads are pinned, and are designated as "Major" threads in Licensed: 

1. Marvel Superheroes
  2. DC Superheroes
  3. Harry Potter
  4. Jurassic World
  5. Overwatch 
  6. Disney Princess 

These are clearly not all of the Licensed themes--but rather they are pinned because of their longevity, popularity, scale, and discussion frequency. There is no limit to the number of topics that can be pinned or unpinned. 

---

Current Classification: 2019

A big reason why I reverted Licensed to the pinned system was to cut down on the sheer number of duplicate threads. For example, up until a few minutes ago the Overwatch theme had three active threads that were essentially the same thing--a 2019, 2020, and a "Future" thread. That's too much for the forum to handle! 

As such, each theme will now only have one open year thread at a time--ie the pinned threads. Please keep all topical theme discussion in the open and available year thread (2019), whether it pertains to the year the thread is actually dated or not. 

So as we are getting lots of 2020 set news now--please actually discuss them in the 2019 thread until January 1st, 2020 (when a new thread is created) :thumbup:

Basically, a year thread now means the full year. 2019 discussion encompasses all discussion in 2019, whether it is actually about 2019 or not. 

---

Notes: 

• I have renamed the tagline of all pinned threads as "Rumors & Discussion", for clarity and brevity
  • "Harry Potter" encompasses all Wizarding World discussion 
  • "Jurassic World" encompasses all discussion of Jurassic World and Park sets. It is all one theme under the 'World' banner 
  • Do not create 2020 or other year threads. I will close them. One year thread at a time please! 
  • Smaller themes may not be pinned, or may not be pinned until, the true size of the theme can be determined
    • For example: Stranger Things, while popular, is essentially one set. We do not yet know if we will get more sets, so the relative small size of the theme, in comparison to the size of the other pinned topics, means it is not necessary to pin Stranger Things at this time 
  • Lego Ideas Themes will most likely not be pinned
    • For example: Flintstones was, and currently is, a one off set, from a one off theme. It will not be pinned because of this
    • The majority of Licensed Ideas sets are one off licenses. An unpinned thread will be dedicated to the Ideas set specifically, not to the theme specifically 
  • Dormant or Retired threads may be unpinned 
    • For example: Ghostbusters, Simpsons, Scooby-Doo; these were all themes that would have been pinned, but are now dormant or retired. If and when they return, they may be pinned again 

Agree. I think this is the best option. Thanks for your work :thumbup:

Also, I think at some point DC and Marvel could get their own Superheroes forum, just like Star Wars, because I feel 6 pinned threads a little bit too much. And we also have Minecraft (getting a bigger wave this year), Trolls, BrickHeadz, Minions, etc

Edited by Robert8

Thank you for doing this and making it more professional. 

A minor note I have, since I mainly visit this and the Star Wars section, Is that the pinned icon for both pages are different and my OCD can't handle it. :tongue:

Edited by Hoth Rebel

On 7/18/2019 at 12:34 PM, Robert8 said:

Also, I think at some point DC and Marvel could get their own Superheroes forum

I agree with this. Thanks for taking the time to straighten out this subforum. It is difficult keeping track of so many themes!

Thank you all for the input--this change seems to be working out well so far. 

On 7/18/2019 at 11:48 AM, Hoth Rebel said:

A minor note I have, since I mainly visit this and the Star Wars section, Is that the pinned icon for both pages are different and my OCD can't handle it. :tongue:

Hah! Sorry about that--Star Wars must have a different visual package applied to it, for some reason. So...we'll both have to live with OCD I guess. :blush:

@Robert8 @jimmynick Regarding a Superhero subforum--this is something we've been kicking around internally for years, but we've just never implemented it. At this point I would say it's held up by activity levels (does DC/Marvel have enough conversation/activity to warrant it?) and then just staffing levels. So might happen some day, but probably not tomorrow.  

Good work on the restructuring. It makes sense as it’s a lot smoother to navigate. As for a sub-forum, my main hangout is Licenced anyway, so I would be happy either way, but understand the logistics of it all.

I like how this is organized and this makes a lot of sense to me -- if only we could have the same structure with other branches of Eurobricks where Action and Adventure themes currently has discussion about 2020 sets split between the 2019 pinned thread and the 2020 thread...