Itaria No Shintaku

So, what are Leaf, IP-2 and Zebra?

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

For now, it‘s mosaics and busts/helmets, but who knows what they could do in the 18+ range in the coming years :classic: Probably depends on the success of "Zebra", but I can see it working well. Mosaics are quite popular with MOCers and I think it‘s no coincidence that this was one of the first product ideas in this range. They probably had enough adults asking for them in LEGO stores, which allegedly was also one of the reasons HP got resurrected :laugh:

Though it seems to be kicking-off with mosaics for now, I wonder if "Zebra" will end-up being a much broader theme beyond just that, maybe more in the vein of Creator/Creator Expert's broader scope? :shrug_oh_well:

44 minutes ago, julesvincent said:

Maybe Zebra came from the zebra-stripe of the Beatles cover?

Really, the codenames never seem to hint at anything, as Hidden Side was codenamed "Banana" while "Leaf" is either Super Mario or Monkey Kid.

@Falconfan1414 Do you happen to know anything about the current status of Monkey Kid? Now that it has been confirmed that Leaf is actually Mario, there aren't any set numbers left for Monkey Kid, although we know that the theme is real. Will it still release this summer, or is it actually a 2021 theme?

Just now, Lego David said:

@Falconfan1414 Do you happen to know anything about the current status of Monkey Kid? Now that it has been confirmed that Leaf is actually Mario, there aren't any set numbers left for Monkey Kid, although we know that the theme is real. Will it still release this summer, or is it actually a 2021 theme?

It’s still happening for all I know just with different set numbers 

Incase this didn't get mentioned 32100 is a Star Wars Mosaic. The sets have buildable frames and will retail for around the $100 - $150 price range.

Zebra

31197- Marilyn Monroe

31198 - The Beatles

31199 - Iron

31200 - Star Wars

Edited by Brother From Another Brick

37 minutes ago, Brother From Another Brick said:

Incase this didn't get mentioned 32100 is a Star Wars Mosaic. The sets have buildable frames and will retail for around the $100 - $150 price range.

Zebra

31197- Marilyn Monroe

31198 - The Beatles

31199 - Iron

31200 - Star Wars

I assume SW is a single character, right? I don't think they can make a movie poster or something like that

My bet would be Darth Vader, but making a mosaic from a character wearing all black could be tricky. So, I guess Luke

Edited by Robert8

I take it these licensed mosaics are pretty much the same deal (concept, 1x1parts and 100 cost) as the selfie photo booth mosaic maker machines that have been present in a few flagship LEGO Stores this past couple of years? 

Edited by Lucarex

Just now, Lucarex said:

I take it these licensed mosaics are pretty much the same deal (concept, 1x1parts and 100 cost) as the selfie photo booth mosaic maker machines that have been present in a few flagship LEGO Stores this past couple of years? 

That‘s what I think!

With the codename "art", I suppose that 31197 is one of Andy Wharhol's prints of Marilyn Monroe, and not just a normal photography of the actress.

24 minutes ago, Kaanere said:

With the codename "art", I suppose that 31197 is one of Andy Wharhol's prints of Marilyn Monroe, and not just a normal photography of the actress.

Yeah guaranteed it will be the famous photo (from Niagara) that Warhol used repeatedly to base his artwork on.

Some new bits of information thanks to stonewars.de: https://www.promobricks.de/lego-wall-art/95488/

So the theme is named Wall Art, the sets don’t include big baseplates (rather multiple small ones) and there’s a brick-built wall mount :thumbup:

Now that we finally have a proper name for the theme, isn’t it time for a dedicated thread? :wink:

Even more news, courtesy of stonewars: https://www.stonewars.de/geruechte/lego-zebra-mosaikbilder-erscheinen/

The small 16 x 16 baseplates are new parts with a Technic construction on the other side. Apparently, some of the sets are modular, so if you buy multiple copies, other motives can be assembled :classic: Moreover, at least one of the sets is supposed to hit shelves in July (if we still have shelves by then :tongue:)

Ooh, I really want that Warhol one! My wife has recently gotten really into diamond painting, so these remind me a lot of that. I'm curious about why the Marvel and Star Wars ones are made with plates but the Beatles and Warhol are tiles - is it just a matter of part availability for the necessary colors, or are they assuming the ones with more "adult" subject matter will do better if they're not as obviously LEGO?

These are gorgeous, love the Warhol one. Thought my wallet is weeping...

Do we know why some have tiles while others have studs?

I'm pretty sure I know the real reason but I was wondering if there was an official reason.

I can’t find an announcement thread so I’m starting one now.  It deserves one and should probably make the front page.

11 hours ago, danth said:

Do we know why some have tiles while others have studs?

I'm pretty sure I know the real reason but I was wondering if there was an official reason.

It is because the SW and Marvel ones have alternate building instructions so you can build the three designs, then repurpose them into the combination display. Whereas The Beatles and Warhol ones don't have an alternative combined build so have no reason to be taken apart again.

23 minutes ago, MAB said:

It is because the SW and Marvel ones have alternate building instructions so you can build the three designs, then repurpose them into the combination display. Whereas The Beatles and Warhol ones don't have an alternative combined build so have no reason to be taken apart again.

Huh. Wouldn’t have guessed that.

Link to new LEGO Art topic below.

12 hours ago, MAB said:

The article linked above say the Beatles and Warhol ones both have alternate builds. No combined build like you said, but I don't see why that matters.

Regardless, I guess the studs make it possible to use the brick separator to pull the pieces off?

The new wide brick separator makes it look like you can "scrape" 4 or 6 tiles off at a time.

Edited by danth

11 hours ago, danth said:

The article linked above say the Beatles and Warhol ones both have alternate builds. No combined build like you said, but I don't see why that matters.

Regardless, I guess the studs make it possible to use the brick separator to pull the pieces off?

The new wide brick separator makes it look like you can "scrape" 4 or 6 tiles off at a time.

Yes, they do. Will people buy one Beatles one and continuously rebuild it to make all four Beatles, or will they go for 4x sets and display all four. Displaying one Beatle at a time looks a bit crap to me, but maybe people will.

My point was to do with the ease of removal. Removing four plates at a time is going to be significantly quicker than using an ice-scraper type implement to remove six tiles.