Hi,

I thought I'd start a topic which would be a compilation of MODs to the Lego 42098 Car Transporter set.

Here Is one of my MODs in progress:

aR3iBvX.png

I added steering, drive (with a differential) and pendular suspention to this axle and will do the same for all axles.

better wheels and more panelling around the wheels and sides will also be added

To add differentials to each axle I must raise the trailers lower deck to the same height as the main cabs lower deck. I did this using the same tyres above for every axle and just moving some beams up.

Current part count of above: 196

More MODs soon.

Is this mod only compatible with the Mustang wheels? If so, that's a bit iffy. Other than that, great work! Really liking it so far

Normal wheels should work fine too :)

here is the MPD file. I am aware that the mini turntables are touching the gear rack holder, need to test that out in real life.

I'm looking at the springs, a couple of questions come to mind:

1. Won't one of the 4L axles with stop get pulled out when the suspension rotates?
  2. How does this system compensate for the change in angle of the spring?  Does it just rely on the slack between the 4L axle and pin-with-hole element?

15 minutes ago, BusterHaus said:

I'm looking at the springs, a couple of questions come to mind:

1. Won't one of the 4L axles with stop get pulled out when the suspension rotates?
  2. How does this system compensate for the change in angle of the spring?  Does it just rely on the slack between the 4L axle and pin-with-hole element?

Hi,

At the stopper end of the axle there is a pin hole, the axle slides through that and does not get pushed out because of the connectors.

I don't know how to explain this in engineering terms but for some reason, the connectors can be static but still have pendular motion, where as if I add pivoting spring mounts the springs don't really compress at all.

edit, I couldnt compress the springs in LDCAD so they overlap the connectors a bit.

In the real model they are pre-compressed a little.

I've tested this system out before on my mack anthem B model MOD and it works just fine.

I'm thinking about putting the gear racks where the side struts would be for the upper decks because that leaves more space for steering, suspention, etc.

Edited by SNIPE

4 hours ago, SNIPE said:

edit, I couldnt compress the springs in LDCAD so they overlap the connectors a bit.

You can make a custom generated spring, by stripping one of the shock templates. Don't forget to disable auto grouping (edit/grouping/clear auto groups) or switch to group layer 0 (top right panel)  first.

Or make a spring from scratch using "file/new.../spring" combined with the "special/spring parts" group in the bin (crosses cell/big spring cell).

Edited by roland

Hi,

I love this set and have modified it so all the functions are now remote controlled. It uses the following parts:

• 2 SBricks and 1 battery box. 1 SBrick is in the cab of the lorry and the second SBrick is mounted on the trailer.
  • 1 XL motor to provide the drive
  • 1 Servo motor for steering
  • 1 Large motor for moving the upper level on the lorry
  • 1 Medium motor for the front ramps on the trailer
  • 1 Large motor for the rear ramps on the trailer
  • 1 Large motor for moving the upper level on the trailer

I have also added an extra function of a winch behind the cab of the lorry using a medium motor. This allows cars to be pulled onto the lower level.

You can see the functions in action on this video: 

Edited by S Kettle
Video Link Updated

Very well done!

My only criticism is that some functions are very fast, and other functions are very slow. Is there a way to uniform them?

:thumbup:

The lowering and raising of the upper decks is very slow. Initially I had it faster but then it couldn't lift the deck if it had a car on. I have changed the gearing so it can now lift a car with added power functions (I wanted the car to be remote controlled also). 

EDIT: Ah geez, wrong button. :blush: will re-edit soon. => Done.

Hi all, although not a functional mod but a visual one, here's my WIP (re)interpretation of the sports car of the 42098 set.

It's in black and orange, mainly because I don't yet have the fenders in dark azure and actually also because I like the color scheme of the 42093 Corvette just better. But still, I'm waiting for the dark azure fenders to arrive to just see what can be done with the color - maybe not much. :sceptic:

P1010012.JPG

My main issue with the sports car was its rear section, which IMO wasn't up to what the front section promised. I mean the stock front looks like a modern sports car (Camaro or Charger for example) and really has an appeal, but the rear looks like the rear of a Citroën C6 which just doesn't fit in my eyes. So I went for something different:

P1010010.JPGP1010009.JPG

I tend to think that the rear is still 1L too low because of how the roof ends there, but the added spoiler makes up for it pretty good me thinks.

I use 49.53 x 20 tyres with wheel 30.4 x 20 on the rear axle and also modified it to allow to fit 43.2 x 22 ZR tyres with the spoked side of the wheels facing inwards and not protruding the body (not sure if I'll ever make use of it though). The rear axle is derived from the 42093 Corvette's rear axle but narrower - I assume somebody already made this design in the past, it's pretty simple. The bigger rear wheels increase the already existing tilt of the car but I like the look very much.

P1010013.JPGP1010014.JPG

Coming to the front section, I needed a power dome on the hood, of course. :sweet: As the front is shorter than the one of my muscle car it unfortunately ends in the passenger compartment. But together with the stock side mirrors it does a good job to divert from the front window basically starting in "mid-air" IMO.

P1010011.JPGP1010008.JPG

Don't mind the unfinished sides, I am just missing the parts for now. And also imagine the lower black panels (EDIT: to clarify, I meant the parts Technic Panel Fairing # 1 and Technic Panel Fairing # 2 ) at front and rear in orange, I don't yet have them in orange so went for black ones instead for now. I'm not yet settled with the upper soft axle at the front: orange instead of flat silver also fits. And I think the parts between the front lights would really go well in chrome silver. Maybe I'll invest in such parts. :classic:

The remainder is pretty final at the moment. I think it makes a good addition to the 42093 Corvette, unfortunately I had to take my only currently built one apart for this one here. Well, I wanted to order another one for @grohl's new E model anyhow.

Edited by johnnym

Very well done for the current MODs of this set.

I just finished the car and front trailer of the car transporter and the 42099 so just have the rear trailer to go.

I quit reverse engineering it in ldcad and am waiting for somebody to make the mpd file (predictably, probably philo) then I will continue modding it.

I needed a break from work so I threw together an RC version of the tractor unit. Pretty easy mod, even for someone as inept as me.

1280x613.jpg

1280x992.jpg

1280x517.jpg

1280x619.jpg

Ok, the missing parts arrived and I - for now - finished the mod of the blue car. I changed the front and back panels to orange as meant from the beginning, the exhaust pipes to flat silver pieces, added side skirts and put some red highlights on the car. Not to forget, I also changed the A pillars to 1 x 5 links. I'm still undecided about the door handles. Here's the current result:

detail-01.JPGdetail-02.JPGdetail-03.JPG

360° view on http://pub.clusterd.net/lego/technic/mods/42098/v2/

Edited by johnnym
Updated picture URLs and added link to 360° view

Here ar two simple mods.

One  (or two ideas) to those who are no fans of stickers and want to make the front look beter.

48687061251_b68ea9ae36_z.jpg

One to put the steeringwheel in line with the driversseat.

48687069581_5c150df3e2_z.jpg

I'm working on more modifications

Has anybody already created a digital model of this set or the blue car in this set alone and wants to share it? I'd like to create a digital model of my mod of the blue car and if possible save some time during construction. :classic:

On 8/15/2019 at 7:12 PM, Touc4nx said:

I made a quick mod, just to add a second differential

You need to add a few bushes on the drive axles, or else they will slide out of the differentials. That's why you should always build with real bricks along with digital.

Thanks to the great work of @JunkstyleGio in creating a complete digital model of the 42098 set, I finished the digital model of my mod of the blue car from this set with ease and much earlier than expected:

42098-blue-car-mod.jpg

Studio, LDraw

In the process I also created another version in red:

42098-blue-car-mod-red.jpg

Studio, LDraw

I think we need a longer trailer for 42098 to be able to transport all cars that are available now. :wink:

One mod I wanna do is add a ramp to the upper deck like how theres one connecting the lower decks.

@JunkstyleGio I was yesterday checking stud.io if there are those smaller wheelarches - I didn't found them, only big ones. So, how can I get them?