ExeSandbox

[Modular] MOC: Doughnut Shop

48312359592_afcdb866fc_b.jpg

The Doughnut Shop

Number of pieces: ~3255

My first successful attempt at a Modular Building which took way too long to complete to the point where it looks like I had copied Bricked1980's Bricks and Blooms. Which I clearly did not... But anyways!

While thinking of the design, I wanted some thematic contrast, so I built a American (kinda Georgian) styled architecture on one side and a Japanese styled architecture on the other. Also the American styled side of the building is a lot bigger, because I wanted it to look like it's suffocating the Japanese one.......(The way I wrote that sounds super controversial, lol, but I needed contrast and imbalance to make a good design. Small Japanese buildings looks cute too.)

Overall, I didn't want to go for a super detailed Modular Building with all kinds of fancy parts usage. I usually prefer simple looking buildings with nice colors and shape. But I still used plenty of somewhat complicated SNOT building to achieve the shaping, especially with the front of the Sand Red apartment. (Whoops, did I just say Sand Red!?) Also I forgot to mention that I high-key ripped off the Downtown Diner. 

48312355332_77cd367b13_b.jpg

Here's the back view. Tried to keep things as simple as Creator Modulars usually are, but I might have gone a little too far on the details. But, I'm very pleased with the design of the back. Those medium blue doors really saved the day.

48312345182_f3f1b1c744_b.jpg

The roof! Nothing too special. The I think the skylight looks plain but quite fitting. 

48312216016_c4ca70cc0e_b.jpg

The ground floor of the building exposed. The main segment is the aforementioned Doughnut Shop, and the other is a tiny little run-down Noodle Shop. Very  C O Z Y. 

Those 6x6 flat tiles on the wall of the Doughnut Shop are in some obscure legacy colors that I referenced off of Bricklink, don't know how legit they are. 

48312323702_82bb8beede_b.jpg

Interior of the Doughnut Shop. I found that interior renders of LEGO can look kinda dull. So I added some really nice, sort of spicy, lighting here. As much as I would not like to admit, yes, this is a render. Though I don't know if I should be more proud of feat or not. 

48312320947_7954375f97_b.jpg

No caption needed. I can stare at this all day...

48312327702_ea45688375_b.jpg

Onto the 1st floor! Just some apartments, except that the Japanese one is super tiny. No racial undertones here, it's all for the sake of design  :wink:. (Like why am I bringing that up, if I hadn't said anything, the majority of you wouldn't even realize anything.) Also, the sign is pretty cool, being made from a roller coaster track. I don't really know how you'll feel about the large doughnut sticking out of the wall, I personally like it a lot. I think it adds that bit of obnoxiousness, which makes the whole building stand out. 

48312313252_f615149e23_b.jpg

Interior of the apartment...

48312202336_a90e901f05_b.jpg

Interior of Japanese apartment...

48312212446_b4662a6a60_b.jpg

The 2nd floor! (or 3rd) It was really hard thinking of what I should fill the interior of this floor with. I originally wanted to do another apartment room, but I already did that. I thought about an artist studio, but that's cliche and boring, so I though of a Carpenter's Workshop! So that everyone in the apartment downstairs can get woken up in the middle of the night by loud whirring machinery! Brilliant idea!

There's nothing under the Japanese roof though, no attic or anything, because I needed space for the connections.

48312197461_8dfc7d697a_b.jpg

The interior of the Carpenter's Workshop! Pretty straightforward, but for any of you wondering, that green machine on top of the workbench is a belt sander.

Is the sun rays getting old yet? Because I have another 112 more interior images to show you! :iamded_lol: Kidding!

48312195511_95b2a48c09_b.jpg

To save any dignity I have left for building this model digitally, I tried to limit the amount of parts in new colors to a minimal amount. I don't know how accurate this image is, because I used bricklink as my reference, if I were to follow brickset's database on the other hand, there would be a whole lot more parts in the image above. 

48312193921_2690eb1090_b.jpg

Here are some of the stickers I designed for this model. Pretty good, I must say. It wasn't easy though. I had to go through so many iterations. Getting that balance of design, color and detail as well as to match it with the style of the building is quite the challenge. I really commend LEGO's graphic designers!

48312306432_915eb07a50_b.jpg

Finally here is the Doughnut Shop humbly sitting next to the ultimate alpha beast that is the Downtown Diner. I would very happily admit that my Modular Building holds no quarter against the godly design of the Diner. (I think my love for the Diner is a bit of an issue...)

Welp that's all for now! More images can be viewed at my Flickr account. I would really like to know what you think about this. I worked on this model for way too long that I don't even know if it's great or terrible anymore. (How I wish I could have your fresh eyes just for one moment :cry_sad:). Harsh and savage criticisms are most welcome. :moar: 

Edited by ExeSandbox

It looks absolutely lovely! I love the architecture of the build. I thought the pattern on the floor of the ground level was nice. I really would like to get my hands on some of those wooden plank pieces, as they seem extremely useful. The doughnut on the outside is absolutely fantastic! Splendid job! 

Edited by legostarwars1425

31 minutes ago, legostarwars1425 said:

It looks absolutely lovely! I love the architecture of the build. I thought the pattern on the floor of the ground level was nice. I really would like to get my hands on some of those wooden plank pieces, as they seem extremely useful. The doughnut on the outside is absolutely fantastic! Splendid job! 

Thanks legostarwars! I'm glad you liked the doughnut! Took me many tries to get it right :D 

Yeah those wooden plank pieces really are useful, I am also looking to get my hands on them. 

Wow! Superb model @ExeSandbox ! I think both buildings look superb together, they complement each other nicely both in terms of colours and shapes. I especially like the resemblance to DD's ground floor and the cut edges of the Sand Red façade. Comparing it to the Diner, I think your design has more presence and is bolder and I would even venture to say better, so good job. There's two things that feel off for me but that with some explaining from the designer could help: the doughnut feels out of place for me (I also think that the DINER sign on DD is out of place) and the overhang of the Sand Red building over the Olive Green one feels a bit overboard.

It's funny you post this because I've also been working on a modular for way too long now and don't know if it's the best thing ever or kind of meh :laugh:. I'm also designing prints for my model and I can definitely second that it's hard to get them right! And one last question, was this done using Mecabricks and Blender? I've found it quite hard to get a model looking nice on a black background rather than on a white one.

Super job!

PD: Why are there dog paws being sold in the doughnut shop? How did you achieve that night render so effectively?

Edited by paupadros

Oh wow the photography and the editing is amazing. I love when people do this. I think it's really well done and creative build and I think you have a very good taste for interior design especially. I like how detailed everything is, from both the inside and the outside. Love the little flower/plant box out on the second floor. I think all together it's a really cute and well designed scene.

Edited by Park7573

I really like it. Sand red is a lovely colour.

Is there a reason why the roof of the main building extends out over the smaller building? Was that inspired by a real life building? It’s visually interesting, but I’m wondering whether there is a “story” reason (e.g. the main building was once bigger, but part of it was destroyed making way for the smaller building).

3 hours ago, paupadros said:

Wow! Superb model @ExeSandbox ! I think both buildings look superb together, they complement each other nicely both in terms of colours and shapes. I especially like the resemblance to DD's ground floor and the cut edges of the Sand Red façade. Comparing it to the Diner, I think your design has more presence and is bolder and I would even venture to say better, so good job. There's two things that feel off for me but that with some explaining from the designer could help: the doughnut feels out of place for me (I also think that the DINER sign on DD is out of place) and the overhang of the Sand Red building over the Olive Green one feels a bit overboard.

It's funny you post this because I've also been working on a modular for way too long now and don't know if it's the best thing ever or kind of meh :laugh:. I'm also designing prints for my model and I can definitely second that it's hard to get them right! And one last question, was this done using Mecabricks and Blender? I've found it quite hard to get a model looking nice on a black background rather than on a white one.

Super job!

PD: Why are there dog paws being sold in the doughnut shop? How did you achieve that night render so effectively?

Thanks @paupadros! Indeed, both modulars does work well together, with mine being based a lot on the Diner, I think the light colors of the DD contrasts very well with mine. It's also great to hear that you think my design might be better! :laugh:

As with the large doughnut sticking out, you're right, it's because the DD has a out of place (I think it's perfect though), DINER sign, that's why I wanted an out of place object. Though I knew it was going to be a love-it-or-hate-it thing in the first place. (Marmite Shop Modular Building hmmmm? :poke:)

Funny, that you find it easier to get a nice looking shot on a white background instead of a dark one. It's the complete opposite for me. I find the white to be too overpowering, which may distract the eye. Though LEGO product images have always looked brilliant on a pure white background. :sceptic: (But then, my very first (successful) studio photograph was done on a dark background, and I couldn't go back ever since. :laugh: )

As for the render....what are you talking about? I always use Bluerender 0005 Beta. How else are you going to render a beautifully stunning image?

PS: Ummm, I don't know why I put dog paws in there lol. I should have put the butter cookie with strawberry jam in the center...

About that night render....I used Bluerender... (kidding lol, Blender is where it's at. I thought lighting up the inside would be more complicated, but it was pretty easy. Do you use Blender to render your models though?)

4 hours ago, jalemac34 said:

Just wonderfull, the colours , the interiors

Wonderfull job....

Thanks @jalemac34! Glad you liked it!

3 hours ago, Park7573 said:

Oh wow the photography and the editing is amazing. I love when people do this. I think it's really well done and creative build and I think you have a very good taste for interior design especially. I like how detailed everything is, from both the inside and the outside. Love the little flower/plant box out on the second floor. I think all together it's a really cute and well designed scene.

Mmmmm, photography you say? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) It's actually a render...

Thanks for the compliments! Now that you mention it, I do have pretty good tastes for interiors. :iamded_lol:

2 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

I really like it. Sand red is a lovely colour.

Is there a reason why the roof of the main building extends out over the smaller building? Was that inspired by a real life building? It’s visually interesting, but I’m wondering whether there is a “story” reason (e.g. the main building was once bigger, but part of it was destroyed making way for the smaller building).

Thanks! Sand Red works very well for architecture.

Well, the reason the roof extends out over the small building is purely for design, like you said, makes thing visually interesting. But the "subplot" behind is actually the opposite of what you mentioned. (It was once a whole Japanese building, where 2/3 of it got destroyed to make way for the Doughnut Shop and some apartments. The roof extending over the small building makes the main building more dominating, which works thematically and aesthetically.)

55 minutes ago, _TLG_ said:

Very nice! I like the details and the color scheme.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :laugh:

Edited by ExeSandbox

It's just about the coziest MOC i've ever seen. I love that it feels so complete just through good use of shape and color, without needing super complicated detailing work. Storefronts, donut sign, apartments, it's all great.

The feeling of an older building trapped under new construction jumped out at me immediately, and as tragic as that storyline might seem, the whole thing is so cute that it doesn't feel depressing.

Also the custom stickers are awesome.

I also didn't realize the images were renders until i got to the internal shots with heaps of bloom lighting. Computer graphics are scary sometimes.

33 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

This is propably the best argument ever for the return of sand-red :laugh:

Lol, yeah! :laugh:

1 minute ago, corasaur said:

It's just about the coziest MOC i've ever seen. I love that it feels so complete just through good use of shape and color, without needing super complicated detailing work. Storefronts, donut sign, apartments, it's all great.

The feeling of an older building trapped under new construction jumped out at me immediately, and as tragic as that storyline might seem, the whole thing is so cute that it doesn't feel depressing.

Also the custom stickers are awesome.

I also didn't realize the images were renders until i got to the internal shots with heaps of bloom lighting. Computer graphics are scary sometimes.

Thanks @corasaur! Yup, what you mentioned is totally true, the concept is pretty cute ^^

Wow, it looks like many were convinced this was actually photographs! Ironically, the bloom lighting brought out many things such as the reflections, scratches and fingerprints which makes it look that much more realistic, but the bloom itself isn't. :laugh: Thinking back, I might have overdone the bloom...

6 minutes ago, ExeSandbox said:

Lol, yeah! :laugh:

Thanks @corasaur! Yup, what you mentioned is totally true, the concept is pretty cute ^^

Wow, it looks like many were convinced this was actually photographs! Ironically, the bloom lighting brought out many things such as the reflections, scratches and fingerprints which makes it look that much more realistic, but the bloom itself isn't. :laugh: Thinking back, I might have overdone the bloom... 

yeah if you'd only posted the external shots I don't think I'd have picked up on the renders. The bloom suddenly felt like it was some kinda video game from ~2006, though, back when every developer discovered bloom and went mad with power.

This is a really great looking moc. The tiled roof on the right side building looks very effective and I also like the printed cloth piece used as the awning on that building. The colour scheme of the whole model looks really nice and it works very well next to Downtown Diner.

The interior also looks great especially thanks to those jaw dropping lighting effects on your renders. 

Great work! :classic:

21 hours ago, ExeSandbox said:

As for the render....what are you talking about? I always use Bluerender 0005 Beta. How else are you going to render a beautifully stunning image?

For a second, you got me... :rofl:

21 hours ago, ExeSandbox said:

Do you use Blender to render your models though?)

I didn't use to, but I've been using it recently. 

17 hours ago, bondp99 said:

Really cool MOC *oh2*

Thanks! :laugh:

13 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

This is a really great looking moc. The tiled roof on the right side building looks very effective and I also like the printed cloth piece used as the awning on that building. The colour scheme of the whole model looks really nice and it works very well next to Downtown Diner.

The interior also looks great especially thanks to those jaw dropping lighting effects on your renders. 

Great work! :classic:

Thanks for the compliments @Bricked1980! Glad you liked the model. :thumbup:

The printed cloth piece feels pretty underrated. It creates a nice realistic awning without having to use bulky bricks. 

1 hour ago, paupadros said:

For a second, you got me... :rofl:

I didn't use to, but I've been using it recently. 

Great to know you've been using it! Then, to answer your question about the night render, I just placed an area or point lamp inside the building and blasted the brightness. 

Stunning! When will TLG wake up and finally give us sand red back? :( Corner Garage would have been the perfect opportunity for it.

Your renders are fantastic. At first I was confused on whether I misses the return of sand red completely. :D

7 hours ago, peedeejay said:

Stunning! When will TLG wake up and finally give us sand red back? :( Corner Garage would have been the perfect opportunity for it.

Your renders are fantastic. At first I was confused on whether I misses the return of sand red completely. :D

Thanks peedeejay! (Love your Modulars too :thumbup:)

I thought people would call me out for using Sand Red, but it just makes them like the color even more. :laugh:

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but is the whole thing a render? I can't quite tell. Very cool! The awning looks like it makes a face where the balls at the end of the hangers are.

25 minutes ago, Modeltrainman said:

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but is the whole thing a render? I can't quite tell. Very cool! The awning looks like it makes a face where the balls at the end of the hangers are.

It...it..it's...re...real.....It's actually a render...

(Now I can't unsee that face....:roflmao:)

Edited by ExeSandbox

Looking great, the whole thing actually. Like the colors (looks like a 'happy' place') and the interior itself.
One of the things I also really like is the floor on the ground floor. Reminds me to a bit mediterranean. Maybe it's also I like those kind of stuff but anyhow ...

Also like that little marketstall on wheels on the sidewalk, and ... a little (kitchen) garden on the roof? nice.

It is definitely a master piece. I like it very much  :D . A lot of interesting building skill is shown in this modular building.

Btw It is little bit strange the donuts building roof extended to the next building.

On 7/21/2019 at 3:29 PM, neonic said:

Looking great, the whole thing actually. Like the colors (looks like a 'happy' place') and the interior itself.
One of the things I also really like is the floor on the ground floor. Reminds me to a bit mediterranean. Maybe it's also I like those kind of stuff but anyhow ...

Also like that little marketstall on wheels on the sidewalk, and ... a little (kitchen) garden on the roof? nice.

Thanks @neonic! Hmm, I didn't know the flooring on the ground floor looks mediterranean. I was going for a ceramic tile design.

6 hours ago, bricksboy said:

It is definitely a master piece. I like it very much  :D . A lot of interesting building skill is shown in this modular building.

Btw It is little bit strange the donuts building roof extended to the next building.

Thank you as well! Glad you liked it. :laugh:

..also, nothing strange with the roof....:wink: