Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

I don't think that's the case... Since Monkie Kid is a Big Bang theme that we currently have. Most likely it will last the typical three years, from 2020 to 2023. So until after Monkie Kid ends, I don't expect we'll get any new original action themes. 

I don't know if we should categorize MK under the Big Bang label.BB themes in general have big first waves along side gimmick sets and a full fledge TV show.MK first wave consists of 8 sets,no gimmick sets and a 40 minute TV movie.Not to mention all the special circumstances that surround MK,it being a Lego store exclusive theme and a clear attempt from TLG to cash in the China market.I'd call MK an experimental theme,one of it's kind,certantly not a traditional action theme BB or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

I don't know if we should categorize MK under the Big Bang label.BB themes in general have big first waves along side gimmick sets and a full fledge TV show.MK first wave consists of 8 sets,no gimmick sets and a 40 minute TV movie.Not to mention all the special circumstances that surround MK,it being a Lego store exclusive theme and a clear attempt from TLG to cash in the China market.I'd call MK an experimental theme,one of it's kind,certantly not a traditional action theme BB or not.

Completely agree. The lack of “gimmick” or even cheap entry-level sets is a big minus for MK. I’d also add that BB themes typically also have a monthly print magazine.

(That said, the forthcoming MK Brickheadz is a thing of beauty and will buy...assuming it’s the usual price not the same as the twin packs, you never know with MK!)

Edited by Lucarex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

and a 40 minute TV movie

I'm pretty sure the 40 minute TV movie is supposed to be a pilot season, similar to how Ninjago originally stared. With that in mind, I'm pretty sure MK will also get a fully fledged TV Series next year.

With the exception of lacking gimmick sets, Monkie Kid does feel pretty much like a Big Bang theme, because it's basically a mixture of Ninjago, Chima and Nexo Knights all thrown together into a single theme. 

Edited by Lego David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I'm pretty sure the 40 minute TV movie is supposed to be a pilot season, similar to how Ninjago originally stared. I'm pretty sure MK will get a fully fledged TV Series next year. 

With the exception of lacking gimmick sets, Monkie Kid does feel pretty much like a Big Bang theme, because it's basically a mixture of Ninjago, Chima and Nexo Knights all thrown together into a single theme. 

It's not just the lack of gimmick sets.The subdued first wave consists only of 8 sets and not to mention that the second wave has even less sets.Then you have the limited availability that hurts it's potential in wider recognition which will also lead to lack of sales when compered to BB themes which are available worldwide in retailers.All this is evidence that MK is not a BB theme.

And this brings back my point from my previous comment,MK is an experimental theme that exists only for TLG to test the waters to see how well they can do in China.They don't care how well this theme does outside China hence why it's exclusive to Lego stores.And the lack of many sets means that they don't want to go all out just yet because this theme could be a failure.Maybe we'll see more sets if the current ones sell well enough in China.

Edited by LOTR34

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you guys for your replies!

I am kinda surprised nobody has mentioned a ghost express!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, that definitely sucks though I'm not that surprised but still.

I definitely have enjoyed the theme overall. It's one of my new favorite original theme in quite a while and still is. Really dig the show with its urban and spooky styled theme that hasn't been around for quite a while. And they have killer minifigures too. Well, it sure was fun while it lasted. I do hope that there a bit more on the miniseries for the summer sets but if there isn't, the conclusion of Lady E's threat is already good enough for me.

I really like a lot of the sets, but my favorite sets would be the Haunted High School (As that set had blown my mind when it's revealed), and The Paranormal Interceptor Bus as that's a dope rig. I'm also going to add J.B. Submarine because I do have that and it's really neat little set.

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Favourite sets:

1) 70420 Graveyard Mystery

2)70422 Shrimp Shack Attack

3)70431 The Lighthouse of Darkness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

Favourite sets:

1) 70420 Graveyard Mystery

2)70422 Shrimp Shack Attack

3)70431 The Lighthouse of Darkness

And all for a little over 100€.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

And all for a little over 100€.

Exactly.If only I could say the same thing about MK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

Exactly.If only I could say the same thing about MK. 

Isn’t the smallest set of MK around 100€?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Borex said:

Isn’t the smallest set of MK around 100€?

More like 200€ and the most expensive set costs 1000€ :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only looking at MK sets costs 5€ a time. So beware when walking into a Lego Store

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Falconfan1414 , I remember that a few months ago you said that Hidden Side would be continuing into 2021. Do you know what changed?

This theme lasted longer than I thought it would. Honestly it seemed like another one wave venture to coincide with Halloween, but we got a few bonus waves. This wasn't a Big Bang, it was under no obligation to continue, and yet it did. The concept was interesting, the set design ranged from great to awful, and it was largely a bit of a disjointed mess, but there's nothing wrong with that! My personal favorite was the graveyard, which has quite a few nice features and fits in well with my Halloween display. I wasn't a fan of the color wheel thing that they made stick out like a sore thumb in the later waves though. Overall it was a solid theme, I'm glad that they made it, and hopefully we get a good action theme to follow it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

Hey @Falconfan1414 , I remember that a few months ago you said that Hidden Side would be continuing into 2021. Do you know what changed?

This theme lasted longer than I thought it would. Honestly it seemed like another one wave venture to coincide with Halloween, but we got a few bonus waves. This wasn't a Big Bang, it was under no obligation to continue, and yet it did. The concept was interesting, the set design ranged from great to awful, and it was largely a bit of a disjointed mess, but there's nothing wrong with that! My personal favorite was the graveyard, which has quite a few nice features and fits in well with my Halloween display. I wasn't a fan of the color wheel thing that they made stick out like a sore thumb in the later waves though. Overall it was a solid theme, I'm glad that they made it, and hopefully we get a good action theme to follow it up.

It was so weird how the colour wheel was integrated so well in all the 2019 sets (especially the Stunt Truck, those technic connectors? Wow.) but most of the 2020 ones had it weirdly out of place. It was a real step back and I don’t understand how that happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

It was so weird how the colour wheel was integrated so well in all the 2019 sets (especially the Stunt Truck, those technic connectors? Wow.) but most of the 2020 ones had it weirdly out of place. It was a real step back and I don’t understand how that happened.

I thought it was a good thing. If you don’t play the game. You don’t need to build it and don’t have to waste a good design. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Borex said:

I thought it was a good thing. If you don’t play the game. You don’t need to build it and don’t have to waste a good design. 

That's a good point. Makes it easier to just leave it out if it has no purpose.

 

In my opinion, Hidden Side was one the best new themes LEGO introduced in the last years. There are so many good sets like the shrimp boat, shrimp shack, haunted high school, fairground, lighthouse and others. I think it had the potential to be a success but the box design really killed this theme. A lot of people that buy in store and that aren't looking for specific sets will be influenced by the box design and what they see on the front of the box when they make their decision to buy a set. Hidden Side boxes are a failure in that regard. In addition, you're less likely to buy more than a few sets of this theme when basically every set contains Jack and most sets contain Parker as well. For most people these will be redundant and unnecessarily increase the RRP. Maybe if they had come up with more outfits for them that were significantly different from each other or additional kids/teenagers hunting ghosts it would have been different.

Edited by Dazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dazz said:

That's a good point. Makes it easier to just leave it out if it has no purpose.

 

In my opinion, Hidden Side was one the best new themes LEGO introduced in the last years. There are so many good sets like the shrimp boat, shrimp shack, haunted high school, fairground, lighthouse and others. I think it had the potential to be a success but the box design really killed this theme. A lot of people that buy in store and that aren't looking for specific sets will be influenced by the box design and what they see on the front of the box when they make their decision to buy a set. Hidden Side boxes are a failure in that regard. In addition, you're less likely to buy more than a few sets of this theme when basically every set contains Jack and most sets contain Parker as well. For most people these will be redundant and unnecessarily increase the RRP. Maybe if they had come up with more outfits for them that were significantly different from each other or additional kids/teenagers hunting ghosts it would have been different.

I agree on the box art. It was such a weird decision on LEGO's part, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was the main reason why Hidden Side failed to be a great success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the shrimp boat and ghost train best.  Especially that pale crocodile!  I briefly flirted with the app but dropped it when I realized how shallow it was -- it just seems wrong that the app forced you to keep the set unmodified -- but the sets themselves were good enough that they stood alone without the app.

As many here have lamented, I'm now stuck with a dozen Jacks and Parkers.  The kids have started putting Parker's hairpiece onto skeletons.  Seems weirdly appropriate as a send-off for the theme!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just out of curiosity, why do so many people say the Graveyard Mystery is one of their favorite sets? That one is one of the least interesting ones to me. The build just doesn't feel substantial enough for a 30$ set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Just out of curiosity, why do so many people say the Graveyard Mystery is one of their favorite sets? That one is one of the least interesting ones to me. The build just doesn't feel substantial enough for a 30$ set. 

I personally love graveyard sets,they're essential in any spooky theme.And this one is very well made,not to mention the affordable price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess the theme ending kills my hope for a Lady E minifig. Maybe they’ll sneak her into a future CMF or something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was nosing around and found this on Hidden Side fandom (don't know where they got it);

Site BioEdit

Eons old, the Maw is a gigantic, indestructible creature-type-thing. You know, the ultimate destroyer and insatiable devourer of worlds. It travels in dimensions beyond ours, beyond the Hidden Side, beyond our comprehension, really. So yes, it would be kind a of big threat to Newbury, and pretty much the rest of the world, too, if it ever came to these parts of our universe. It doesn’t seem all that likely, though, does it? Does it?

What is the Maw?Edit

Eons old, the Maw is your typical gigantic, indestructible creature-type-thing. You know, an insatiable devourer of worlds. It travels in dimensions beyond ours, beyond the Hidden Side, beyond our comprehension, really. We’ve already said too much. Please move along, nothing to see here.

App BioEdit

An endless hunger for all things. This creature will devour all. And now it has come to our world!

 

So, uh . . I guess Nehmaar Reem was a harbinger of a greater threat after all. Just the greater threat was indeed the ghost in the Mystery Castle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa...

That sounds nothing the Hidden Side

 

Interesting twist to say the least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw that a while ago just after we first saw the Castle set box art with a gigantic Maw as the boss ghost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.