On 9/11/2020 at 11:02 PM, TeriXeri said:

Seems they pulled off the same thing as they did with Nexo Knights, having many monsters unique to just Media (app/video/books) instead of physical sets :shrug_confused:

Now of course can't expect everything to be made into sets, but some smaller things in magazines I wish were made into toy form like Season 2 Nexo Knights had Lightning Scurriers using existing LEGO parts just different colors, and using unicorn horns instead.

I got these knock offs from eBay in 2017, the quality was great

jl7vhNG.jpg

On 9/11/2020 at 1:39 PM, Lucarex said:

74847-CF2-E943-4745-9895-9-FE29-B1044-ED

So were they planning on having Nehmaar Reem become some kind of horned god once he got all 4 of the relics? 

It looks like a further evolution of his form from the Fire Truck set.

Due to the lack of of a TV series or a more coherent comic book, I decided to try my hand at starting a Hidden Side webcomic.

The full 40+ pages of the first story are now online.  It'd be good to see what Lego enthusiasts think of it. But be gentle, I have no idea what I'm doing and I have no photo editing skills :iamded_lol:

https://horrorsofthehiddenside.tumblr.com/post/629237882991853568/it-begins

9 minutes ago, Killian said:

photo_2020-09-14_13-19-15.jpg

I wonder why they bother to make so many monsters/criatures/ghosts for the and just random possesed people for the actual sets

Did they forgot the main appeal for the theme must be the sets and not the app?

They shot themselves un the foot here

https://mobile.twitter.com/TommyAndreasen/status/1305590480391016450

so we are getting SOMETHING new. I have to wonder if the reason we aren’t seeing any hidden side leaks is because this is the end of the story, and will pick up with a retooled version of the theme under a new name later next year. It’s not like LEGO doesn’t listen to fan complaints sometimes, so to see the theme retooled to ditch the app focus and introduce some new villains/monsters/whatever wouldn’t surprise me. Heck, if this story ends with them sealing away the ghosts for good then it wouldn’t even make sense to keep calling the theme hidden side. 

5 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

so we are getting SOMETHING new. I have to wonder if the reason we aren’t seeing any hidden side leaks is because this is the end of the story, and will pick up with a retooled version of the theme under a new name later next year. It’s not like LEGO doesn’t listen to fan complaints sometimes, so to see the theme retooled to ditch the app focus and introduce some new villains/monsters/whatever wouldn’t surprise me. Heck, if this story ends with them sealing away the ghosts for good then it wouldn’t even make sense to keep calling the theme hidden side. 

It's not totally clear if that comment was referring to media content and sets for upcoming years, or additional media content for this year. With an announcement possibly expected "soon", I'd lean toward the latter—it's not a stretch to assume that we might get additional webisodes covering the second half year's sets and story like we did for the first half of this year (possibly timed to be released as we get closer to Halloween).

I actually tried my hand at making some Hidden Side interpretations and had an idea for a fan-comic (or show) myself. Neat!

6 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

That does sound interesting... 

A theme revamp/rebrand would be interesting to see

4 hours ago, Lyichir said:

It's not totally clear if that comment was referring to media content and sets for upcoming years, or additional media content for this year. With an announcement possibly expected "soon", I'd lean toward the latter—it's not a stretch to assume that we might get additional webisodes covering the second half year's sets and story like we did for the first half of this year (possibly timed to be released as we get closer to Halloween).

Those have already been announced, a full set of shorts for the new wave plus a longer special (rumored to be a Halloween special)

im banking on this being something else since he’s the one who announced those things already and was fairly open about it at the beginning of the year.

20 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Some sets already listed as retiring soon on LEGO.com.

I just looked on the shop site for my region (U.S.) and none of the sets seem to be listed as retiring soon—surprisingly, not even the year one sets. Seems to be different for Europe, where all of the year one sets and the haunted fairground are listed that way.

Here in Canada, Walmart just discounted all of the year one sets. We don’t get that very often in Canada. It reminds me of when they discounted the lego movie 2 sets. I know that Walmart in the US does this more often, but the fact that they are doing it here makes me believe that we might be near the end of the theme as we know it. 

I read the previous posts and am incorrect in reading that there might me a rebrand of the theme? I didn’t mind the app thing but I don’t use it. It does cost a lot of money to do this so a Hidden Side 2.0 without app and with more monsters could be great. The drawing that I saw is really Monkie Kid like...

also in the links from this forum I saw people saying ninjago ends in 2021...is that true? Could hidden side be “replacing it?”  

I mean instead of ninjas we get 2 kids and friends and they fight monsters... like in ninjago....

all of this is interesting. I love hidden side and would like for it to continue!

On 9/15/2020 at 11:11 AM, mrfang2 said:

I am hoping for all of this to be true. 

Edited by Megbricks

Seems like we have another production inconsistency/error.

The Dragster shadow-Walker minifig on the box (and in all promo pics) clearly shows trans light blue wings, but the piece in  my opened set is noticeable opaque and different. Anyone receive the clear piece?

29-D02927-8764-4360-84-CC-82-C47725-CEF3

5-AB1-B9-F4-BE45-40-DC-9-B88-49-BD3-DA47

13 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Seems like we have another production inconsistency/error.

The Dragster shadow-Walker minifig on the box (and in all promo pics) clearly shows trans light blue wings, but the piece in  my opened set is noticeable opaque and different. Anyone receive the clear piece?

29-D02927-8764-4360-84-CC-82-C47725-CEF3

5-AB1-B9-F4-BE45-40-DC-9-B88-49-BD3-DA47

It's just a rendering error. The "glassy" look of the render is how most Polycarbonate transparent parts look, whereas the wings are a softer material that's more translucent. It's unlikely that any of that wing piece was actually produced in a different material.

1 minute ago, Lyichir said:

It's just a rendering error. The "glassy" look of the render is how most Polycarbonate transparent parts look, whereas the wings are a softer material that's more translucent. It's unlikely that any of that wing piece was actually produced in a different material.

Hmmm are you 100% sure? I don’t recall such a big visual difference between official images and parts in hand.

Don’t forget HS has form for production errors, there was the whole spring green gloom parts issue with the Subway set, some got the elements in a different colour (neon I think?) green.

22 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Hmmm are you 100% sure? I don’t recall such a big visual difference between official images and parts in hand.

Don’t forget HS has form for production errors, there was the whole spring green gloom parts issue with the Subway set, some got the elements in a different colour (neon I think?) green.

A different dye color and a different plastic type are two different things. The wing piece is not designed to be cast in a hard, inflexible plastic type like Polycarbonate. It's too thin, with parts that stick out in such a way that they'd most likely pose a legitimate safety hazard if cast in a material that would snap rather than flex under pressure. Considering that the wing mold is not new for this year I find it hard to believe that it could have been cast in the wrong material entirely when its properties were already well-established by its usage the previous year.

Conversely, a rendering error of this type is remarkably common. Even Lego's customer service database has been known to incorrectly render blended parts or parts in materials with different visual properties than the typical opaque ABS or transparent Polycarbonate. It's not hard to imagine the same taking place here, with the render correctly taking the color (Transparent Light Blue) into account but not the physical material that makes that color express itself differently than usual.

A great technical explanation that I just about followed!

Regardless, it’s still amounts to misrepresentation IMO. I took the “glassy” appearance as seen since the first hi res box art was revealed earlier this year, especially as it’s a one-off colour for that piece not found in any other set.

Does this mean the Nehar-Reem (spelling?) character in the Castle with the new ghost piece legs is also affected? The blue parts of that also looks trans not opaque in both the set renders and those promo images of kids playing with the app/set.

11 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

A great technical explanation that I just about followed!

Regardless, it’s still amounts to misrepresentation IMO. I took the “glassy” appearance as seen since the first hi res box art was revealed earlier this year, especially as it’s a one-off colour for that piece not found in any other set.

Does this mean the Nehar-Reem (spelling?) character in the Castle with the new ghost piece legs is also affected? The blue parts of that also looks trans not opaque in both the set renders and those promo images of kids playing with the app/set.

That one is transparent, and that’s because the part is molded in the same plastic as other transparent pieces, unlike the wings which are made of a different material.

On 9/14/2020 at 2:52 PM, Robert8 said:

I wonder why they bother to make so many monsters/criatures/ghosts for the and just random possesed people for the actual sets

Did they forgot the main appeal for the theme must be the sets and not the app?

That's a good point. I know that @Lyichir mentioned how costly it would be to make unique molds for each of the specialty ghost-figs, especially when you get into some of the more unique designs like the Harbinger with that toothy-chest-maw. But still, would've been great to get at least one big-fig or brick-built fig before Reem as a way of expanding the actual villains for the kids to fight. To look at another theme, Nexo Knights had some great designs for the villains that were brick-built while the app (they used an app, right?) didn't take away from actual set execution.

Now I'm curious to know if any other current themes have a VR/app component, or if Hidden Side was it. Monkie Kid doesn't have anything similar, right?

2 hours ago, Mr Maniac said:

Now I'm curious to know if any other current themes have a VR/app component, or if Hidden Side was it. Monkie Kid doesn't have anything similar, right?

Currently Hidden Side is the only theme with a VR/app component but rumor has it something similar will be implemented in the upcoming Vidiyo theme

It’s simple really, they COULD have made boss ghosts etc but they chose not to. I think they used the app to justify what was clearly a budget decision.

Which is fine until you see the massive budget they splurged on a new theme that is pretty much targeted at just one specific region.

5 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

It’s simple really, they COULD have made boss ghosts etc but they chose not to. I think they used the app to justify what was clearly a budget decision.

Which is fine until you see the massive budget they splurged on a new theme that is pretty much targeted at just one specific region.

What theme are you talking about? Monkie Kid?

10 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Monkie Kid doesn't have that many more new molds than Hidden Side did. Hidden Side launched with 9 new figure molds, Monkie Kid launched with 10 (12 if you count the second wave of sets, though if you do that you might have to up Hidden Side's count as well to factor in the second wave's additional molds).

Also, I might get hate for this, but there's another possibility for why they usually opted for possessed figs rather than physical ghosts—that they generally believed possessed figs were a better fit for the theme. One of the most central conceits of the Hidden Side theme is locations that can be displayed in "normal" or "haunted" configurations. The possessed figures are a natural fit for that, having the potential to be displayed as either ordinary townspeople in the "normal" scene or as possessed, zombie-like figures in the "haunted" versions. Actual ghost figures are comparatively more limited—they don't really "fit" into the non-haunted versions of Hidden Side's scenes in any natural way. I can't think of many of the sets for which the addition of a ghost figure would've vastly improved the quality of the product as a whole, so even though it might have been sort of nice to get another set or two similar to "Welcome to the Hidden Side", I feel like the theme as a whole has tended to be remarkably solid for what it is, with a strong selection of figures and a solid play experience offered in just about every set.

On 10/22/2020 at 2:09 PM, Lyichir said:

Actual ghost figures are comparatively more limited—they don't really "fit" into the non-haunted versions of Hidden Side's scenes in any natural way. I can't think of many of the sets for which the addition of a ghost figure would've vastly improved the quality of the product as a whole, so even though it might have been sort of nice to get another set or two similar to "Welcome to the Hidden Side", I feel like the theme as a whole has tended to be remarkably solid for what it is, with a strong selection of figures and a solid play experience offered in just about every set.

Excellent point. Wrote this elsewhere, but for me, one of the more interesting aspects of Hidden Side was how it struck that balancing act (at least among the location sets), between working as a perfectly good City set (if a bit more run-down and dilapidated) in addition to appearing more 'haunted.' Obviously some of these worked better than most (wish the Wrecked Shrimp Boat had more transformation features), but on the whole, there was plenty of good here for me to get a few.